Better late than never? Sunset a few months later

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

Better late than never? Sunset a few months later

Postby livesforrap » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:55 pm

The last thing I needed was another verb. I have a million and they are good. But I fell sucker to the marketing and luckily (or not :lol: ) they had a 14 day trial.

I went through all the a/b nonsense trying not to like it but it continued to impress time after time. Between the very thoughtful interface and the sound it's tough to beat. Somebody did something right with this one.

IK generally makes good products overall but this one stands out as the best I've tried. I mostly use the stock setting :oops: but it works.
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Re: Better late than never? Sunset a few months later

Postby chris49boz » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:23 pm

I just purchased it after lengthy demo trial (with the noise bursts) and gotta say it has some amazing stuff fer sure. I did this chamber track with a droning guitar and took it with me on a trip yesterday. Driving down the highway I was listening to the track and when the drone section kicked in it's was so 3D I was in awe. After 25 years of recording I've never had an experience like that. Not sure how they did this but the technology is amazing! Hard to learn the program though. Real easy to overdue it IMO.
chris49boz

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:05 pm

Thank you for the kind words! It really is an amazing piece of work, I try to think about it more as "spaces" rather than "reverbs" (splitting hairs, I know) but since I come from a more traditional recording background - though I have never recorded at Sunset Sound myself, unfortunately - I really enjoy using the spaces as I would if tracking parts. Those ISO booths, which are more like ISO rooms @ Sunset due to their size, are a secret weapon that should be used more. Send AmpliTube 5 through one of those and you'll be able to nail some authentic sounds. The rooms in AT5 are great, but the Sunset rooms ("booths" too if you will) are legitimately legendary and it shows.

Note that you should not get noise bursts during the normal demo period for the T-RackS processors. You would need to be connected to the internet and have Custom Shop application open in the background and you would have a no-burst demo period. I believe the IK FAQ has more information. Just FYI. But back to loving T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb :D
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby chris49boz » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:47 pm

Peter...thanks for the info. I will try the iso booths on direct guitar and see what I get. One suggestion: an online tutorial with tips on how to use this wonderful plugin. I know the basics and all that but perhaps some ideas/suggestions from pros using it would be very helpful.

I'm so pleased with this I'm gonna try Mondo Drums!

Chris
chris49boz

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:18 pm

chris49boz wrote:Peter...thanks for the info. I will try the iso booths on direct guitar and see what I get. One suggestion: an online tutorial with tips on how to use this wonderful plugin. I know the basics and all that but perhaps some ideas/suggestions from pros using it would be very helpful.

I'm so pleased with this I'm gonna try Mondo Drums!

Chris

I know that we've done livestreams about T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb so there's probably a lot of ideas/suggestions there but I'll also relay the suggestion for more videos about it.

Definitely try the ISO booths, you can use an ISO booth then do the "guitar panned to one side, chamber to the other" trick if you want to feel like you're recording Eddie Van Halen (RIP, virtuoso) at Sunset.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby chris49boz » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:23 pm

Ooh I gotta try that panning trick!!
chris49boz

Postby supanorton » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:43 am

Peter_IK wrote:Thank you for the kind words! It really is an amazing piece of work, I try to think about it more as "spaces" rather than "reverbs" (splitting hairs, I know) but since I come from a more traditional recording background - though I have never recorded at Sunset Sound myself, unfortunately - I really enjoy using the spaces as I would if tracking parts. Those ISO booths, which are more like ISO rooms @ Sunset due to their size, are a secret weapon that should be used more. Send AmpliTube 5 through one of those and you'll be able to nail some authentic sounds. The rooms in AT5 are great, but the Sunset rooms ("booths" too if you will) are legitimately legendary and it shows.

Note that you should not get noise bursts during the normal demo period for the T-RackS processors. You would need to be connected to the internet and have Custom Shop application open in the background and you would have a no-burst demo period. I believe the IK FAQ has more information. Just FYI. But back to loving T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb :D

From what I remember from your posts, you're not a Logic Pro X user, but maybe you can guide me anyway. I have AT5, MODODRUM and Sunset Sound. I'd like to simulate a room in Sunset Sound with drums, bass, and guitars. How would I substitute the rooms in AT5 and MODODRUM with the rooms in Sunset Sound? I've been playing around with it by turning the volume of the room off in AT5 and MODODRUM and putting Sunset on a bus, but it doesn't seem to be working the way I thought it would. Is it a matter of tinkering some more? I thought it would be just turning up the bus until the desired room sound is there.

Sunset sounds AMAZING on vocals. It really is a new kind of thing. Very impressive.
supanorton

Postby supanorton » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:08 pm

I found what I was looking for in this video. Can't wait to try this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvktYptRUJA&t=601s
supanorton

Postby supanorton » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:17 pm

Experimented with a mix yesterday! Incredible. I’m wondering if there’s a way to make it sound bad. Top notch, IK!
supanorton

Postby livesforrap » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:23 pm

After writing this, I must say I've had a bit of edumacation about reverb :lol:

Um, it's still supreme. I'm surprise that with piano, synths it's still a long ways from what others can do.

I always high pass at about 200hz and bump the high just slightly. I've also learned to pull the reverb DOWN lately. Peter will get mad if I say another secret weapon of late :P
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Postby livesforrap » Thu May 20, 2021 10:22 pm

This still my fav. Trying "neoverb" because the viddy was cool on it.

It's clunkier, and though it sounds great, it just doesn't have that "it" factor SSS has.
livesforrap

Postby livesforrap » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:07 pm

Still the one. Sorry I couldn't figure out how to do emendated.
livesforrap

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox