Please Help! Cannot Install Modo Drum on 2020 MacBook Pro

Discussions about MODO DRUM physically modeled drums and MODO BASS - the first physically modeled electric bass virtual instrument

Please Help! Cannot Install Modo Drum on 2020 MacBook Pro

Postby james.k.lisowski » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:17 am

Hello,

I have a 2020 MacBook Pro and am trying to install Modo Drum, but I’m getting a message stating the below:

“This package is incompatible with this version of macOS. The package is trying to install content to the system volume. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance”.

I am using the boxed version of Modo Drum with the USB stick for the install.

This is a new 2020 MacBook Pro laptop currently on “Catalina” Version 10.15.7, and here are the further specs below:

1. Processor: 2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
2. Memory: 16 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X

I understand that Modo Drum requires “AVX” instructions, but how can I tell if my Mac has that capability? I cannot locate that information to confirm under the “About this Mac” section.

My previous Mac was a desktop 2010 model and from what I hear, those did not have the “AVX” compatibility. When I attempted to install Modo Drum on that older Mac, I got a message stating “MODO Drum needs CPU with AVX Support”. However, with my new 2020 model MacBook it’s not giving me that specific error about “AVX”, but this other message stating “This package is incompatible with this version of macOS. The package is trying to install content to the system volume. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance”

One would think a 2020 model MacBook Pro would be up to spec with being able to run Modo Drum and if not, can anyone tell me which model MacBook Pro or iMac definitely CAN run Modo Drum?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

James
james.k.lisowski

Re: Please Help! Cannot Install Modo Drum on 2020 MacBook Pr

Postby garfy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:49 am

Hi James

Have you tried installing it via the IK Product Manager? https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/productmanager/

While MODO Drum is confirmed as working on Catalina, perhaps the installer on your USB version is out of date and that's what is causing the problem. That's my best guess anyway.

The AVX compatibility is connected to a set of instructions that the CPU needs to handle, but this dates back to around 2011 so you should be fine with a 2020 MBP.

As this is a user-to-user forum and not direct to IKM support, in case no one else chimes in here with advice or a solution the best thing to do is check the FAQs, via https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-su ... ck=QUICKSW

If these do not resolve the issue, there is a link to the Technical Support form, for direct help from Official IK Support. They endeavour to reply within 2 working days, but obviously considering the current situation things may take longer than usual.

And, to help others who run into a similar problem, please let us know what you did to resolve the issues, but without directly quoting any correspondence from official support.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby james.k.lisowski » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:02 pm

Thanks, Garfy.

I feel a lot better knowing that my MBP should support it. So, are you saying that I can install it through the IK Product Manager instead? I’m a newbie to this and not sure how that works. Would I be able to install it as a direct download from the Product Manager rather than using the USB stick?

Thanks again,

James
james.k.lisowski

Postby garfy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:30 pm

james.k.lisowski wrote:So, are you saying that I can install it through the IK Product Manager instead?

Worth a try I think. Install the IKPM and log in using your IK account details. It should then show you all the products that you have registered to your account and let you install and authorise them.
garfy

Postby DarkStar » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:33 pm

First of all, go here: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/productmanager/ and download and install the IKPM.

The IKPM is designed to download / install / register and authorize current IK Multimedia products, taking away "some of) the work from you.

• Run it, login to your User Account and, I think Register your MODO Drum Serial Number (if it not already Registered).
  • Click the cog wheel and in the Settings, select a folder for the downloads done by IKPM.
  • Go to the [Software] tab, scroll down to MODO Drum and click "Install". It should then be downloaded, and its installer will be run. Respond to the various steps.
  • When the installation is complete, IKPM will Authorise MODO Drum.
Then you should be good to go.

Click the[?} button in IKPM to get some help, including the IKPM user manual.

Let us know how it goes.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby DarkStar » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:37 pm

I would also ask that you report the problem with the USB stick installer to Technical Support, with any details you have.

Contact Support, via here. There is a link at the top of the Search FAQs page to the Technical Support form, for some one to one investigation and help. Response time is usually within 2 working days (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally), but in the current circumstances please allow some more time.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby garfy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:04 pm

DarkStar wrote:I would also ask that you report the problem with the USB stick installer to Technical Support,

Yes, good call DS.
garfy

Postby james.k.lisowski » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:22 pm

Thanks @darkstar and @garfy.

I submitted a support email addressing my issue on January 12, 2020 and they still haven’t got back to me. Frustration is setting in now. I guess I’ll have to just patiently wait for a solution.

I specifically bought this brand new 2020 MacBook Pro to run Modo Drum, and I just hope it’s compatible with Modo Drum.

It’s Model No. A2251, 2020 MacBook Pro.

Does anyone else have this same MacBook Pro and able to use Modo Drum?

Peace,

James
james.k.lisowski

Postby garfy » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:56 pm

Hi James

Sorry to hear you're still having problems.

You can reply to your own ticket asking for an update if you feel Support are taking too long. This will give them a bump.

Have you tried installation via the Product Manager?
garfy

Postby supanorton » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:27 pm

james.k.lisowski wrote:Thanks @darkstar and @garfy.

I submitted a support email addressing my issue on January 12, 2020 and they still haven’t got back to me. Frustration is setting in now. I guess I’ll have to just patiently wait for a solution.

I specifically bought this brand new 2020 MacBook Pro to run Modo Drum, and I just hope it’s compatible with Modo Drum.

It’s Model No. A2251, 2020 MacBook Pro.

Does anyone else have this same MacBook Pro and able to use Modo Drum?

Peace,

James

I have a 2016 MacBook Pro with less robust processing power and memory than yours, and I can run MODO Drum without issues. I used it with versions of Catalina and am now using it with Big Sur. I hope you find out what's happening.
supanorton

Return to MODO DRUM & MODO BASS