Record stereo with AXE I/O Solo?

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Record stereo with AXE I/O Solo?

Postby tw750au » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:34 pm

Can you record a stereo signal using AXE I/O Solo?
My concern is that Input 1 has 10 kOhms impedance (in Active mode) and Input 2 has 20 kOhms impedance. Or do you simply adjust gain and you are good to go?
tw750au

Re: Record stereo with AXE I/O Solo?

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:13 pm

You would use line inputs 1 & 2 (or both mic inputs if recording using microphones).

Here are the specs for line inputs 1 & 2 - note that you wouldn't be using the Z-TONE circuit in this scenario so I'm assuming a stereo line level signal - not a stereo guitar.

Line Inputs 1-2

• Configuration: Class-A discrete differential line receiver, tip hot
  • Input impedance: 20 kOhms differential
  • Input level, min gain: 0 dBFS is obtained with a +26 dBu signal at the TRS input
  • Input level, max gain: 0 dBFS is obtained with a -24 dBu signal at the TRS input
  • Frequency response: From 5 Hz to 32 kHz within 0.5 dB (96 kHz sample rate)
  • Dynamic Range: 116 dB(A)
  • THD+N: -106 dB(A) at -10 dBFS
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby tw750au » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:17 pm

Thanks, but are you talking about AXE I/O?

Both inputs on AXE I/O have the same impedance of 20 kOhms. However, it is 10 and 20 in AXE I/O Solo, that's why I'm asking my question.

BTW, can you even record two inputs simultaneously? I found a topic where it says you can't...
tw750au

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:41 pm

Sorry, I had read AXE I/O. However you can indeed record two inputs simultaneously on both AXE I/O and AXE I/O Solo. I don't know where you may have heard otherwise but both are stated as 2-in on their product pages and you definitely can record two at a time in any DAW.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:44 pm

On AXE I/O Solo, the first input will indeed be variable impedance, though. You may want to set input 1 to pure and make sure the levels match. For two identical line (or mic) inputs you'd want to go with AXE I/O.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby dlgebert » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:00 pm

tw750au wrote:BTW, can you even record two inputs simultaneously?

Here's from the AXE I/O Solo manual:

Code: Select all
Line Input
Configuration: Class-A discrete differential line receiver, tip hot
Input impedance: 20 kOhms differential
Input level, min gain: 0 dBFS is obtained with a +26 dBu signal at the TRS input
Input level, max gain: 0 dBFS is obtained with a -27 dBu signal at the TRS input
Frequency response: From 7 Hz to 32 kHz within 0.5 dB (96 kHz sample rate)
Dynamic Range: 117 dB(A)
THD+N: -104 dB(A) at -10 dBFS

The fact that it mentions that only the tip is hot, tells me that the line input jack in the back that's in the center of the XLR plug is balanced, not stereo.

With that in mind, a balanced mono cable in the back, which will enable the "Line" LED on the unit and in the control panel software will give you your right channel.

For your left channel, plug an unbalanced instrument cable into the instrument jack in the front and turn the Gain knob down to match the line level of the right channel.

This should provide you with stereo...

I have the original AXE I/O and I plug my Korg Monologue Analogue Synthesizer into the front #2 instrument jack with the Gain knob all the way down and the signal is perfectly clean. I have to use this jack because the Monologue has one mono unbalanced output and the line inputs on the back of the AXE I/O are balanced.

Dave
Last edited by dlgebert on Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dlgebert

Postby dlgebert » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:02 pm

Peter_IK wrote:On AXE I/O Solo, the first input will indeed be variable impedance, though. You may want to set input 1 to pure and make sure the levels match. For two identical line (or mic) inputs you'd want to go with AXE I/O.

Peter was posting his second reply while I was typing mine... :D

Dave
dlgebert

Postby tw750au » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:18 am

Thanks guys, much appreciated

This works for me
tw750au

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:19 pm

Great! All we needed was Ryan to chime in and we'd have the trifecta of those in the "most use of AXE I/O" club present :D
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Interfaces & Controllers