What real speaker is the Brit V3?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

What real speaker is the Brit V3?

Postby jem7sk » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:16 pm

Been through a lot of auditioning of cabs and speakers and really like the V3 the best.. especially in the 4x12 Brit Silver. Anyone know what specific speaker that is? I might have to get some for my real cabs.
jem7sk

Re: What real speaker is the Brit V3?

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:06 pm

I don't know 100% but I believe that's a 70W Vintage 30 from vintage Marshall cabs. Both Marshall and MESA/Boogie rated the V30s they used as 70W but they are likely the same as what Celestion was producing at the time which Celestion rated at 60W.

I'm assuming you mean you like replacing the speakers (Brit 75s) that are in the 4x12 Brit Silver? Otherwise, those Brit 75 are easier to identify as they would be what is in the real world Marshall Silver Jubilee 2551 4x12.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:11 pm

For real-world speakers you might want to check out Avatar (who also make great cabinets). I have a Hellatone which is a broken-in GH1230 from them in one of their 1x12 cabinets as well as standard V30s in a 2x12 from them. They also know speakers so if you describe the qualities you need they and cross reference the 70W vintage Marshall-loaded V30 mentioned above they can probably steer you in the right direction.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:13 pm

Also a side note that I'm a bit sad that I refer to something that came out in the mid-1980s as "vintage" (that's when Vintage 30 speakers were first produced, if memory serves). :D :lol: :?
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby jem7sk » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:31 pm

Peter_IK wrote:I don't know 100% but I believe that's a 70W Vintage 30 from vintage Marshall cabs. Both Marshall and MESA/Boogie rated the V30s they used as 70W but they are likely the same as what Celestion was producing at the time which Celestion rated at 60W.

I'm assuming you mean you like replacing the speakers (Brit 75s) that are in the 4x12 Brit Silver? Otherwise, those Brit 75 are easier to identify as they would be what is in the real world Marshall Silver Jubilee 2551 4x12.

Thanks! Yeah, I replaced the Brit 75s with them and liked them the best. Now I need to audition cabs. I've already noticed that I'll have to audition the speakers all over again with a different cab because they don't sound the same in different cabs.
jem7sk

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:37 pm

jem7sk wrote:
Peter_IK wrote:I don't know 100% but I believe that's a 70W Vintage 30 from vintage Marshall cabs. Both Marshall and MESA/Boogie rated the V30s they used as 70W but they are likely the same as what Celestion was producing at the time which Celestion rated at 60W.

Thanks! Yeah, I replaced the Brit 75s with them and liked them the best. Now I need to audition cabs. I've already noticed that I'll have to audition the speakers all over again with a different cab because they don't sound the same in different cabs.

Ah yes, definitely give those different cabs a whirl. In real life I would love to have some Orange cabs (or cabs built with similar specs which I believe Avatar still sells, to speak of them again) since the sound is absolutely different there. But I'd also like to get a time machine and not sell my JCM800 from the 80s with its great cabinets too. That was a killer Marshall stack. Our CEO has a 1980s JCM800 with two different types of cabs and they are all represented in AmpliTube so at least there's that!
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby jem7sk » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:43 pm

Peter_IK wrote:
jem7sk wrote:

Ah yes, definitely give those different cabs a whirl. In real life I would love to have some Orange cabs (or cabs built with similar specs which I believe Avatar still sells, to speak of them again) since the sound is absolutely different there. But I'd also like to get a time machine and not sell my JCM800 from the 80s with its great cabinets too. That was a killer Marshall stack. Our CEO has a 1980s JCM800 with two different types of cabs and they are all represented in AmpliTube so at least there's that!

My favorite amp is the British Tube Lead 2.. is that a JCM 900? I thought I read that somewhere.

So that is what you all do, you get the real thing and model off that? Very cool.
jem7sk

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:57 pm

jem7sk wrote:My favorite amp is the British Tube Lead 2.. is that a JCM 900? I thought I read that somewhere.

So that is what you all do, you get the real thing and model off that? Very cool.

Yes, that is based off of a JCM900 but the newer Brit 9000 is a crazy good JCM900 (it is newer - released with AmpliTube 4).

We do get the real thing and model them, we also do it with the T-RackS gear which can get a bit costly for some of those (like the "holy grail" Mastering EQ 432 hardware) but it is worth it. We also have people in the company with some crazy good gear that gets sent to Italy - the side bonus there is that we have folks skilled in repairing audio components so if anything needs a cleanup and/or fix that gets done before modeling.

You can see some of the collection of amps and cabs currently at our Italian headquarters behind Greg Koch in this and other videos he did while there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1besRk6r0M

In case you felt like drooling today :P
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby jem7sk » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:08 pm

Peter_IK wrote:
jem7sk wrote:My favorite amp is the British Tube Lead 2.. is that a JCM 900? I thought I read that somewhere.

Yes, that is based off of a JCM900 but the newer Brit 9000 is a crazy good JCM900 (it is newer - released with AmpliTube 4).

We do get the real thing and model them, we also do it with the T-RackS gear which can get a bit costly for some of those (like the "holy grail" Mastering EQ 432 hardware) but it is worth it. We also have people in the company with some crazy good gear that gets sent to Italy - the side bonus there is that we have folks skilled in repairing audio components so if anything needs a cleanup and/or fix that gets done before modeling.

You can see some of the collection of amps and cabs currently at our Italian headquarters behind Greg Koch in this and other videos he did while there:

That is cool and it makes me want to try the iPad version.

You know what I love about the British Tube Lead 2? I can put 6l6Vs in it and it sounds awesome! Can't change the tubes in the new one can we?
jem7sk

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:09 pm

True, you cannot change tubes in the new one. But for an authentic JCM900 experience it sounds much more like the real thing, of course :)
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby supanorton » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:53 pm

Peter_IK wrote:

Hi, Peter. Are any of Greg Koch’s presets available anywhere?
supanorton

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:59 pm

supanorton wrote:Hi, Peter. Are any of Greg Koch’s presets available anywhere?

I do not see any of them available in the IK Product Manager or IK User Area so no they are not available.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby carlaz » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:39 pm

Peter_IK wrote:I don't know 100% but I believe that's a 70W Vintage 30 from vintage Marshall cabs.

I am chiming in a bit late, but for what it's worth: I agree. :) The Brit V3 is based on a "Vintage 30 Marshall 70w". Amplitube uses it by default solely in the Slash cabs, AFAIK.

For what it's worth, I've produced a document (very unofficial!) that tries to match AmpliTube speaker models with their real-world equivalents: https://www.carlaz.com/music/Amplitube%20Speaker%20&%20Cab%20Models.pdf
It's up-to-date, including the models in the Satch collection.

Peter_IK wrote:Both Marshall and MESA/Boogie rated the V30s they used as 70W but they are likely the same as what Celestion was producing at the time which Celestion rated at 60W.

Yes, AFAICT, the bespoke MESA V30s (which everything points to as being 60w) are represented by the Brit V2 in AmpliTube: "Vintage 30, 8Ω, 60w Mesa/Boogie (custom speaker), made in England".

There are, actually, a lot of V30 variants (in the real world and in AmpliTube) as far as I can tell.

Peter_IK wrote:I'm assuming you mean you like replacing the speakers (Brit 75s) that are in the 4x12 Brit Silver? Otherwise, those Brit 75 are easier to identify as they would be what is in the real world Marshall Silver Jubilee 2551 4x12.

Yes, indeed. AmpliTube's Brit 75 appears by default in the 4x12 Closed 75 C, 4x12 Brit 9000, 4x12 Brit Silver (i.e. "Marshall® 2551A 4x12” Slanted, T75"), and Satch 60 cab models.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby carlaz » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:41 pm

Peter_IK wrote:True, you cannot change tubes in the new one. But for an authentic JCM900 experience it sounds much more like the real thing, of course :)

I did like the "mix'n'match" options in the older amp models -- but I agree with Peter that, in general, the newer models sound much better. Modeling tech has advanced tremendously in the last 10 years or so. You can really hear it.
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby carlaz » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:46 pm

jem7sk wrote:Now I need to audition cabs. I've already noticed that I'll have to audition the speakers all over again with a different cab because they don't sound the same in different cabs.

No, indeed! The various cab models can all sound quite different, even with the same speaker models. IMO, the "Cab Room" is one of the most powerful (and neglected) tone-shaping features in AmpliTube. You can pretty easily setup and save your own cab/speaker configurations, but it's a little fiddly trying to flip through them for easy comparison. IMO, future versions of AmpliTube interface could try to find ways to make that easier. It seems to me like a great deal of work went into the Cab Room models and sounds, though I am not sure they get the appreciation that they probably deserve.
--
carlaz
1K Club

Next

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling