Lurssen Mastering Console - Win10 crash (SA and AAX-64 Plug)

IK Product Manager, Lurssen Mastering Console, CSR (Classik Studio Reverb), and acoustic correction system ARC (Advanced Room Correction) System

Lurssen Mastering Console - Win10 crash (SA and AAX-64 Plug)

Postby jkashner » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:21 am

I've been investigating and working on this for several months on my own, trying to find some knowledgebase that describes this problem and the status of a fix for it. I have not found anything yet, so am hoping someone here can provide direction toward a solution.

I am running a Windows 10 (current version) PC, (4+GHz i9 9980XE, 12GB RAM, 60+TB Disk/SSD). My DAW is Pro Tools Ultimate HDX 2020.5 (current version).

I have 100's of FX & Virtual Instrument plug-ins, and the *only one* that is currently not working properly is Lurssen Mastering Console (StandAlone and AAX 64-bit Pro Tools plug-in). I have the latest download version of Lurssen Mastering Console from my IK Multimedia user download area.
**Note: Although the version number of the file matches the version identified in the user download area, version 1.1, the date of the actual downloadable file is 6/6/2017, (using Windows "Properties" then the "Details" tab), but the date in the *description in the user download area* indicates it as "Latest Release On: 12-12-2019".

Problem 1: When I start Lurssen Mastering Console in StandAlone mode, it quickly closes/crashes with no error code dialogue text boxes. This occurs if I "Run As Administrator" or "run as my user name".

Problem 2: When I install the AAX 64-bit Pro Tools plug-in, I watch while Pro Tools Ultimate evaluates and loads plug-ins, and when it reaches "Lurssen Mastering Console" the Pro Tools Ultimate "startup/load/splash screen" disappears, and Pro Tools terminates its startup tasks and fails to load altogether. I have to uninstall Lurssen Mastering Console for Pro Tools Ultimate to start normally.

Please advise with any suggestions that you may have at your earliest convenience. Based upon its description, the Lurssen Mastering Console sounds very appealing. However, not being able to start it up, StandAlone or Plug-In, prevents me from evaluating it, let alone using it.

thanks in advance and best regards.
jkashner

Re: Lurssen Mastering Console - Win10 crash (SA and AAX-64 P

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:04 pm

Not sure what would cause that, Lurssen Mastering Console should run very well in your environment. Have you reached out to IK Support for official technical assistance? I'm sure they can resolve your issue and are available at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby jkashner » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:42 pm

Peter_IK wrote:Not sure what would cause that, Lurssen Mastering Console should run very well in your environment. Have you reached out to IK Support for official technical assistance? I'm sure they can resolve your issue and are available at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support

Hi Peter,
Yes, I have a support ticket into IK Multimnedia tech support.
I've tried everything, *literally*, so am hoping an IK Multimnedia tech support person has the secret sauce that I've not yet found.

thanks and best regards
jkashner

Postby dnr » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:36 pm

i have tried running the LMC in Cubase 10.5.20 and every time it maxes out the cpu and crackles like hell. This does not change if I change the soundcard (RME Fireface UC) to 1024. What am I doing wrong?
dnr

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:34 pm

dnr wrote:i have tried running the LMC in Cubase 10.5.20 and every time it maxes out the cpu and crackles like hell. This does not change if I change the soundcard (RME Fireface UC) to 1024. What am I doing wrong?

Odd, I see it got blacklisted in my 10.5.2 install (I only use Lurssen Mastering Console standalone typically). Support states that there is an issue with a change in OpenGL plug-in support in both Cubase and Logic Pro X and that this is being looked into. For Logic Pro X the workaround is to use the non-GUI controls, but I haven't tested if I can do that on Cubase since it got blacklisted and I haven't tried to pull it out of the blacklist yet. You may want to see if that's an option, though.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby jkashner » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:36 pm

Peter_IK wrote:Odd, I see it got blacklisted in my 10.5.2 install (I only use Lurssen Mastering Console standalone typically). Support states that there is an issue with a change in OpenGL plug-in support in both Cubase and Logic Pro X and that this is being looked into. For Logic Pro X the workaround is to use the non-GUI controls, but I haven't tested if I can do that on Cubase since it got blacklisted and I haven't tried to pull it out of the blacklist yet. You may want to see if that's an option, though.

Peter_IK:
Does support have any references to Pro Tools 2020.'# in this regard' whatsoever? The behavior I'm seeing could plausibly be an OpenGL or other graphics driver issue, (I'm seeing this crash at the Win 10 OS level *and* the PT 2020.5 AAX plug-in level. I'm not even getting to a Lurssen Mastering Console "spash screen").

Otherwise, I have made no further progress in hunting down this fatal behavior.

Thanks in advance to *the one* who figures this one out!

best regards, jkashner
jkashner

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:05 pm

Support told me that the OpenGL issue has only been reported in Cubase and Logic Pro X. I think the issue in PT may be different. Are they working on your issue in your ticket?
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby dnr » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:47 pm

Peter_IK wrote:
dnr wrote:i have tried running the LMC in Cubase 10.5.20 and every time it maxes out the cpu and crackles like hell. This does not change if I change the soundcard (RME Fireface UC) to 1024. What am I doing wrong?

Odd, I see it got blacklisted in my 10.5.2 install (I only use Lurssen Mastering Console standalone typically). Support states that there is an issue with a change in OpenGL plug-in support in both Cubase and Logic Pro X and that this is being looked into. For Logic Pro X the workaround is to use the non-GUI controls, but I haven't tested if I can do that on Cubase since it got blacklisted and I haven't tried to pull it out of the blacklist yet. You may want to see if that's an option, though.

Thank you for your reply Peter.

I think when I installed I only ticked the VST3 box and I can't access the Standalone. However, the new online installer does not give you the opportunity to go back and install something you missed out first time round, Do I have to uninstall and then re-install?

I have got the LMC working in another track with less plugin load, so no blacklisting. Despite the overload on some tracks it does not seem to crash Cubase, for me at least. Yes you are right I would want to use it in standalone mode. I does sound quite good. However it would be nice to have more control over the various components and the range of the eq.
dnr

Postby jkashner » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:37 am

Peter_IK wrote:Support told me that the OpenGL issue has only been reported in Cubase and Logic Pro X. I think the issue in PT may be different. Are they working on your issue in your ticket?

Hi Peter_IK and all:

I just heard from IK MM Support. They want me to download a GIF video capture tool via an app at a URL they provided, and then to record GIF videos of both failure events (Win 10 Standalone & AAX-64 Plug-In). My production system has hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of build and customization time into it, so I'm very hesitant to load and run the GIF video capture app that they suggested. Do you happen to know anything about that app, named "Licecap"? The URL they provided for it is " https://www.cockos.com/licecap/ "

If you have any experience with "Licecap" and can characterize its *potential adverse effects on system stability*, (*anything whatsoever*), I would appreciate hearing about anything in that regard.

As always, other suggestions are more than welcome, if this condition sounds familiar to any forum member or member of IK MM Tech Support.

thanks and best regards, jkashner
jkashner

Postby DarkStar » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:24 pm

dnr wrote:I think when I installed I only ticked the VST3 box and I can't access the Standalone. However, the new online installer does not give you the opportunity to go back and install something you missed out first time round, Do I have to uninstall and then re-install?

I would do that - it only takes a few minutes. I think that rerunning an installed is on the IKPM Wish list.

@ jkashner,
LIcecap is fine - it's from Justin Frankel =, who brings you Reaper and previously WinAmp and Gnutella. It is lightweight and does not need installing. I've used it for years.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby jkashner » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:09 pm

DarkStar wrote:@ jkashner,
LIcecap is fine - it's from Justin Frankel =, who brings you Reaper and previously WinAmp and Gnutella. It is lightweight and does not need installing. I've used it for years.

thanks, those are apps & utils that I've used for decades, so I'll give "LIcecap" a go and see what happens.
best regards, jkashner
jkashner

Postby vossee » Fri May 28, 2021 2:38 pm

Hi,
I have exactly the same Problem!!!!
What was the IKM Solution about this Bug? :?:

Thanks,
Dirk
vossee

Postby Peter_IK » Fri May 28, 2021 3:22 pm

vossee wrote:Hi,
I have exactly the same Problem!!!!
What was the IKM Solution about this Bug? :?:

Thanks,
Dirk

Please report your issue to IK Support and they will assist you directly.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby jkashner » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:15 am

Hi All,

Version 1.1.1, release date 2021-08-09, completely eliminated my "Lurssen Mastering Console" StandAlone 64-bit app and AAX 64-bit plug-in crashing problems, (using Pro Tools Ultimate HDX version 2021.7 on a Windows 10 workstation/server). Huge props to development for not giving up on this previously 100% fatal bug.

Although waiting approximately one full calendar year for this to be resolved was stressful, I'm not going to complain about how long this took to fix. I haven't (reasonably) stress-tested "Lurssen Mastering Console" yet, however, It now appears to work as described and as advertised.

I don't know what IK MM development did toward producing version 1.1.1, but I'm now a very happy "Lurssen Mastering Console" camper. I hope that my upcoming (reasonable) stress testing will continue to demonstrate that "Lurssen Mastering Console" is now a stable and rock-solid StandAlone 64-bit app and AAX 64-bit plug-in.

Thanks very much to all who contributed to this apparent solution.

best regards ...
jkashner

Return to Other Music Production Software & Tools