IK Product Manager Is Filling my Hard disk!

IK Product Manager, Lurssen Mastering Console, CSR (Classik Studio Reverb), and acoustic correction system ARC (Advanced Room Correction) System

IK Product Manager Is Filling my Hard disk!

Postby 9blackoranges » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:54 pm

Using a Mac and my system has just flagged up a warning that my main inbuilt SSD is nearly full, which came as a shock as I only recently acquired a separate SSD drive to store my bigger music wav files in.

I have over the last day or two downloaded several IK software programmes - thanks to the special offer - and stored all the big sound files in the separate SSD, where they are working nicely.

Looking on my main hard drive I find the culprit is the IK Product Manager. Whilst it seemed to 'simplify' the download process it has stacked up and kept all the dmg files which Mac uses as the install programme. Usually once a dmg has installed a programme it asks 'do you want to keep or move the dmg file to the trash'. IK Product Manager does not do this but quietly stacks them in a sub-folder in Documents/IK multimedia/IK product manager/..

The folder has 58 gigabytes of the dmg installation files!

This sounds mad! It could cause users some serious worries/problems. At the very least it should be flagged up as a warning. But really should not be stored once its done its job. Its doubling the storage sizes which are large in the first place!

Unless someone tells me otherwise I intend to delete them?? Or have I missed something?? Anyone??
9blackoranges

Re: IK Product Manager Is Filling my Hard disk!

Postby DarkStar » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:12 pm

I much prefer that the downloads are NOT deleted after installation (unlike anothr product manager ;)) Then I can back them up, for re-use later if needed.

[quote="IK PM User Manual]The default download folder is: /Documents/IK Multimedia/IK Product manager, but you can set a preferred download folder in the preference menu [/quote]
I would change it to somewhere-else for future downloads.

As far as I know, you can delete the downloaded files after successful installation.

----------------
Mind you, a new choice of "Remove download" on the "... More options" menu would be handy.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby 9blackoranges » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:19 pm

Thanks Darkstar.

Do you know/have you tried re-running/re-loading one of your copies of the dmg files? Will it run/install on its own without the Product Manager initialising/verify the process?

I would prefer copying the sounds and programmes in there 'installed' versions.I may be wrong.And as part of a regular whole system back-up process.

What is needed is for the installation programme to ask if the user wants to keep or delete the dmg files as most other software providers do.

I note that you have added this option as a suggested programme improvement. Thanks.
9blackoranges

Postby DarkStar » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:19 am

I have never used OSX. :)

I would think that you could copy the "installed" sounds libraries.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby garfy » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:18 pm

9blackoranges wrote:I would prefer copying the sounds and programmes in there 'installed' versions.I may be wrong.And as part of a regular whole system back-up process.

DarkStar wrote:I would think that you could copy the "installed" sounds libraries.

As DarkStar says, you can backup/copy/move the installed sound content as long as you check the pathways are then still correct in their respective apps.

The apps themselves can't be copied and then 'dropped' into the Applications folder, they need to be installed as they have various elements that need to go into other directories, such as the specific plugin types etc.

I have had some success in the past using CCC or SuperDuper on Macs to take a clone of a whole machine and then install that onto a new system drive, although it would need the apps to be re-authorised as it will consider it to be a new installation, but this can form part of a regular whole system backup if needed.

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby garugc » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:33 pm

Hello, I am totally confused. If Windows hadn't complained that my hard drive was full, I would NEVER have thought of looking for all the files. And I found hundreds of gigabytes of data junk from IK Multimedia. I then wanted to reinstall the libraries on hard disk D. Now there are zip files lying around everywhere. Can I delete all the zip files? Which ones do I have to keep? Only the pak files?
For Modo Drum alone I have 3 different folders on my computer with data:
C:\Program Files\IK Multimedia\MODO DRUM
C:\Users\username\Documents\IK Multimedia\IK Product Manager
C:\Users\Public\Documents\IK Multimedia\MODO DRUM
what the hell?
garugc

Postby DarkStar » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:42 pm

The IK Product Manager ("IKPM") handles downloads and installs for the current products. By design it leaves the downloaded files on disk, rather than deleting them immediately (as some other software management tools do) so that the user can back them up (avoid avoid lengthy re-downloads or Download Reactivation Fees in the future).

In the IKPM you can set the folder into which the downloads are to be saved. And, before downloading any Sounds Library file, you can specify the folder into which that library is to be installed. Details are in the IKPM User Manual (accessible from within the IKPM).

In order for users to help we would need to know more about what zip files are where. But the best thing to do is work with Technical Support.

Maybe a MODO Drum user will advise you about those 3 folders.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby MINDCRAFT » Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:10 pm

DarkStar wrote:The IK Product Manager ("IKPM") handles downloads and installs for the current products. By design it leaves the downloaded files on disk, rather than deleting them immediately (as some other software management tools do) so that the user can back them up (avoid avoid lengthy re-downloads or Download Reactivation Fees in the future).

In the IKPM you can set the folder into which the downloads are to be saved. And, before downloading any Sounds Library file, you can specify the folder into which that library is to be installed. Details are in the IKPM User Manual (accessible from within the IKPM).

In order for users to help we would need to know more about what zip files are where. But the best thing to do is work with Technical Support.

Maybe a MODO Drum user will advise you about those 3 folders.

Thank you for informing us. I was shocked when I looked at my M.2 drive
shrinking extremely fast after I installed everything.
Thank goodness I found this post, I grabbed that folder and placed it on 2 separate Seagate 18-TB drives so I would always have it when I need it in the future.
I was a bit terrified when I noticed I lost massive amount of space on the C: M2. drive.

Anyways before I ramble , thank you.
MINDCRAFT

Postby DarkStar » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:07 pm

You're welcome.

The decision to leave the download files on disk allows users to back them up (to avoid the need for another download in the future). And it avoids the continuing problem of (at least) one other download / install manager which deletes files immediately after installation.

See also: https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26365
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Return to Other Music Production Software & Tools