Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen - massive latency [Resolved]

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen - massive latency [Resolved]

Postby 3manuello » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:30 am

Hi all,
I'm new to the Amplitube suite, but still after lot of troubleshoot and topics on the forum, I still can't manage to fix it.
I installed the latest Focusrite drivers and Amplitube 4 (free). Windows correctly manages the audio interface.
But when I start AT4 and go on the Audio MIDI setup there's no sign of my Scarlett Solo.
It only displays:
-Windows Audio (Exclusive mode) which gives no sound;
-Direct sound which gives audio but with a terrible latency (1.5s);
-ASIO that crashes when selected.

On the Input device field I get "Analogue 1+2 (3 Focusrite USB Audio)" and as I read on other topics, I selected the second input since I'm using it with a guitar.

That's the only combination that lets me listen to what I'm doing in AT4. But there's a massive latency and I'm not able to do anything at all.

How could I fix this? I tried to uninstall and reinstall everything a dozens of times.

Thanks you all!
3manuello

Re: Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen - massive latency

Postby garfy » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:39 pm

Hello 3manuello and welcome to the forum.

The Focusrite one should give you the best experience as it was written for your specific device. And yes, you're correct, input 2 should be shown in the Left channel input field.

As for the latency, how low have you managed to get your Buffer Size to? This will dictate the delay heard between input and output. Lower the buffer size until you are happy with the performance or until you hear glitching of the audio - that means you've got it as low as your processor can handle.

Let us know how you get on.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby 3manuello » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:03 pm

Hey garfy, thanks for the reply.
The lowest buffer size I can get before having the buzzes, is 1024. And I'm getting 1s latency.
Here you can find some screenshot about my setup: https://imgur.com/a/2md4Dcp.

Of course if I use the Direct monitor function on the Scarlett, I have no issues at all (with its clean sound of course).

My system is:
Asus Maximus Impact VIII
Intel i5-6600K
24GB RAM DDR4 @1666MHz
and other stuff I think it's not relevant.

What can we troubleshoot?

Thanks again.
3manuello

Postby DarkStar » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:53 pm

Try this:
kennyc wrote:EDIT/UPDATE: Just a FYI, AmpliTube 4 works just fine in my DAW (Reaper). However, after installing the Standalone AT4, when the settings dialog box comes up I selected ASIO for the Technology field, but there was nothing for the Input Device. I have a Clarett 8Pre USB.

I was about to give up and just use it in Reaper (which has worked fine for me for years) when I decided if to see if there were any other selections that I could make in the Standalone settings box.

I was able to make a selection under the Output Device and picked Focusrite USA ASIO and all was well after that and it self-populated all the fields and now the Input Device shows Focusrite USB ASIO.

https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25250
also
https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24753
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby 3manuello » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:29 am

Ok, I just followed those advices and I correctly setup everything. I can hear from AT4.
But still, buffer size 1024 has latency. 512 has less latency but starts buzzing. Idem 256 and 128. The latency decreases but the buzz increases.
I tried to replace the USB cable but it's not its fault.

EDIT: changed from 48000 to 44100 and at buffer size 1024 I'm having way less latency. Still too much, but it's likely halved.
3manuello

Postby 3manuello » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:34 am

Okay all, I figured it out.
The issue was not AT4 but Focusrite's instead.
They assured that their drivers were awesome and beyond and that they worked really great.
I tried to install ASIO4ALL anyway, just to say "ok I tried even that".
Reboot PC.
Everything worked like a charm without any configuration. Of course I headed to the settings panel to adjust some values, but it kept on working flawlessly.

Everyone having issues of any sort with Focusrite's products, just trash its drivers and use the ASIO4ALL ones: http://www.asio4all.org/.
3manuello

Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen - massive latency [ Resolved

Postby DarkStar » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:54 pm

I'm glad that you have got it sorted out.

Please let Focusrite know that its driver was the problem and that ASIO4All was fine. Only that way will Focusrite have another look at its ASIO drivers and improve them. You may be able to help them diagnose the problem too.

---------------------------------
As this thread has been resolved by the original poster it will be marked as such and locked to keep the forum tidy.
  • If you are the original poster and wish to add a comment please ask a Moderator to unlock the thread.
  • If you are reading this thread because you are having similar issues or have questions of a related nature, please feel free to start a new topic.
  • Remember that similar symptoms do not mean the same problem or solution.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling