Setting for using Axe I/O Solo with Reaper

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Setting for using Axe I/O Solo with Reaper

Postby Jwendorf » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:45 pm

I'm looking for specific guidance on setting up my Axe I/O for use with Reaper.

I just set up the Axe I/O and it is working as expected, i.e. I am running my guitar into Axe I/O input one and have the two monitor outs going into powered monitoring speakers. With the Monitor knob turned all the way to the left I hear the clean direct tone and turned to the right I hear the amp modeling tones from Amplitube (both sound great btw :D )

When I fire up Reaper on the same computer and enable a new track the recording only captures the clean DI tone, not the Amplitube shaped tone. What settings do I need to change in Axe I/O and/or Reaper in order to record the shaped tone?
Jwendorf

Re: Setting for using Axe I/O Solo with Reaper

Postby dlgebert » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:22 am

Jwendorf wrote:What settings do I need to change in Axe I/O and/or Reaper in order to record the shaped tone?

Sorry, I created the post below before I noticed you asked specifically about getting the Amplitube 4 processed signal on to your track. I'll keep the full post below and I'll just post the part about getting the final Amplitube 4 processed signal in your track here...

dlgebert wrote:Assuming you have the clean signal from the AXE I/O coming into Reaper on your track, now route the clean signal through the effects chain in your DAW, with the Amplitube 4 plugin as the "inserted" "effect". Keep in mind that when you record, only the clean signal will be recorded. If you want the actual processed Amplitube 4 signal recorded on your track, then you have to "render to audio", or something like that, I don't recall what Reaper calls that.

After you do that, then the plugin should "disappear" leaving just the processed signal. Below is from my original post...

Jwendorf wrote:and turned to the right I hear the amp modeling tones from Amplitube

dlgebert wrote:I assume you are making this statement while using the Amplitube 4 standalone program?

If so, exit the standalone program, because it is not needed when using a host DAW like Reaper. Also, keep the Monitor knob all the way to the right.

I haven't used Reaper in the last 4 years or so, but I used it for a while on my iMac before switching to Studio One.

The first thing to keep in mind is that Amplitube runs 100% on your PC or Mac, so you must either use the standalone Amplitube 4 program, or use the plug-in inside your DAW to have the Amplitube amps, cabs, effects processing the clean signal that the AXE I/O is providing.

Have you used other effects plugins in Reaper? I assume you have. Treat the Amplitube 4 plugin exactly like you would any other effects plugin. It's not an instrument plugin, so you should find it under your effects plugins in Reaper.

Like I said, it's been a while since I used Reaper, but you want to "monitor" the incoming clean signal from the AXE I/O on a stereo track, if you want to use stereo effects. If you have your guitar plugged in to instrument jack#1, then you should hear the clean signal on the left channel, and on the right if you are plugged into instrument jack#2.

If you want to always hear the signal from #1 or #2 on both left and right channels, go into the AXE I/O control panel and change the "Direct Monitoring" setting to "MONO". You can still record in stereo with this setting since all of the stereo processing is happening in your DAW.

Assuming you have the clean signal from the AXE I/O coming into Reaper on your track, now route the clean signal through the effects chain in your DAW, with the Amplitube 4 plugin as the "inserted" "effect". Keep in mind that when you record, only the clean signal will be recorded. If you want the actual processed Amplitube 4 signal recorded on your track, then you have to "render to audio", or something like that, I don't recall what Reaper calls that.

If you are getting a lot of latency, then you'll have to mess around with the buffers in Reaper. In Studio One 5 I can achieve around 3ms of latency, on my iMac.

Keep in mind that the AXE I/O is not an effects processor. All of that is happening in your DAW inside the plugin.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby Jwendorf » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:54 am

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to get more familiar with using amplitube as plugin in Reaper. I am a little familiar with using the fx/vst plugins on Reaper, however I liked the idea of having Amplitube 4 open as a stand-alone app to fiddle with my tone and then just hitting record in Reaper.

My point of reference is from recording with 4 tracks years ago where I would get everything dialed in and mic'd on my amp and then just hit record on the 4 track and go. I'm pretty sure there are better ways to record using a DAW that I just need to learn. :)
Jwendorf

Postby DarkStar » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:16 pm

^^^
Just load the AmpliTube plug-in onto a track, just as you do with any other FX.

By default, recording will record the "dry" audio from your guitar coming into Reaper.
Then you can try out different gear models and settings, auditioning the sound until you get the sound you want.

Then you can create a file od the processed audio. You could render the track, bounce it to audio or just Send it to another track and Record the Output there (right-click the RecArm button for the menu choices). Details of all these approaches are in the Reaper User Manual.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Return to Interfaces & Controllers