Getting Mesa to sound good. What am I doing wrong?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Getting Mesa to sound good. What am I doing wrong?

Postby Doomtrodder » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:08 am

Hello, this is my first post.
I'm using the Mesa dual rectifier and I'm not getting the results that I have heard from lots of YouTube videos demoing it. I've tried googling but no luck. I'm wondering if its my audio interface some other part of my equipment. It all seems muddy even after coping the same settings from other videos.

Would anyone be up for a Zoom call to help guide me and to see my set up in a session? I've also recorded a demo track using a clean (no amplitube) and the distorted track that I can send you.

Pro Tools 12 v12.7.1
AmpliTube 4 - Mesaboogie
PreSonus Audiobox USB Firmware v1.10
44.1kHz
24 bit
Behringer Ultra-DI400p
Gibson LP Studio

Windows 7
Intel i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz
24 GB RAM
64-bit OS

Thank you!
Doomtrodder

Re: Getting Mesa to sound good. What am I doing wrong?

Postby tommartini604 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:53 am

I have found that to dial in great sounds start with the presets and manipulate them at first. This will get you understanding the parameters better. One thing I can recommend is to make sure your audio interface is inputting a strong signal so it pushes the Mesa Amps. On the input in Amplitube make it just slightly over the green area. I have noticed that the gain controls on the amps hardly do anything and the use of a pedal is a must to get high gain.

Hope that helped.
tommartini604

Re: Getting Mesa to sound good. What am I doing wrong?

Postby skibum9x99 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:02 pm

I would start with taking a look at the Mesa website. The engineering behind the tone circuits and gain controls all affect each other. If you really push the amp with high gain, you need to roll off the bass control. Though your "level" indicators are from 0-10, they don't really have a linear scale to the potentiometer adjustments. If your bass level is too high it will sound muddy as all get out, if not dialed in, the sound will turn to razor blades and cut your ears off. That's what I have found with my Mesa Express + 25-5. The Mesa amp and sound library, is amazingly great but needs to be tweaked (slightly) depending how you are using it such as live, recording, or just noodling around on a snow day.
skibum9x99

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling