Miroslav Philharmonik 2 Volume Problem

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Miroslav Philharmonik 2 Volume Problem

Postby bruce-rez » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:30 pm

Hi,
I am on a project and I want to use some sounds from Miroslav Philharmonik 2.
The problem is that when I play, for example the 11 Violins, the volume is too low even I push it to max in ST4 (not in DAW).

When I compare it with another String sound from ST4 library, the volume is considerably low, it does not sound like an orchestra of 11 Violins.

In my project all tracks volumes are at -18 DB and I can hear them fine, but I have to raise the volume track of 11 Violin (from Miroslav Philharmonik 2) to maximum to hear it.
Is there any setup that can improve this problem, except the Volume in ST4?

Thank you
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iMac (Mid 2011), 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM
High Sierra 10.13.6
Cubase Pro 10
Steinberg UR22C
IK Total Studio 2 Max
M-Audio Keystatoion 49
Korg Pa4X
bruce-rez

Re: Miroslav Philharmonik 2 Volume Problem

Postby garfy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:57 am

Hi bruce-rez

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

I've tried to replicate it, but can't hear any discernible difference in volume levels between 11 Violins and other string presets in ST4.

Have you tried to see if the fault happens in standalone in case it is a rogue midi filter or similar in your DAW that is restricting velocity or volume?
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby bruce-rez » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:10 pm

garfy wrote:Hi bruce-rez

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

I've tried to replicate it, but can't hear any discernible difference in volume levels between 11 Violins and other string presets in ST4.

Have you tried to see if the fault happens in standalone in case it is a rogue midi filter or similar in your DAW that is restricting velocity or volume?

Hi garfy,
I tried it also as standalone and still the volume is too low comparing to Live Strings from ST4.
There is no midi filter in my DAW.

You can just compare it yourself by loading Live String and any 11 Violin or 23 Violin and you will see the volume is too low.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
High Sierra 10.13.6
Cubase Pro 10
Steinberg UR22C
IK Total Studio 2 Max
M-Audio Keystatoion 49
Korg Pa4X
bruce-rez

Postby garfy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:18 am

Hey bruce-rez

bruce-rez wrote:You can just compare it yourself by loading Live String and any 11 Violin

Ok, well with specifics you have to look at the patches themselves and you are quite correct 11 Violins compared to Live Strings is quieter. I would suggest that this is down to two things:

1) the articulation being played in 11 Violins is a fairly slow attack/long sustain, whereas Live Strings sounds very heavy on the attack (almost sforzando). Velocity of MIDI note would also play a part in relative levels here and if you are playing a chord you might be introducing voices from the other three string sections in Live Strings as opposed to just violins.

2) On the Live Strings patch there is a compressor as part of the channel which is reducing the dynamic range of the instrument and is really ramping up the volume automatically overall. If you switch the compressor out of the circuit the level gets much closer to that of 11 Violins. Alternatively, if you wind up the 'Comp' on the EQ/Comp processor in the 11 Violins patch, this will bring it up too somewhere near the level of Live Strings, albeit without the biting attack.

It should also be considered that 11 Violins is from MP1 (although it is included in MP2) which was fairly strictly an orchestral pack, where Live Strings could almost be a preset for use in pop arrangements.

So while there are level differences, I think there is more to it than a technical problem. If you think that it is something wrong with your installation I would suggest opening a ticket with Official Support and asking for their advice https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/

Hope that goes some way to helping.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby bruce-rez » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:21 am

Thanks garfy or the explanation.

I would say the volume level of the Miroslav Philharmonik should be strong enough out of the box.
I just got a Free vst Chamber Orchestra from internet and comparing to MP, it's good enough with all articulations and 10 times stronger. I would have expected more from MP.

Anyway I will look at the configuration of the 11 Violins or other sounds from Miroslav Philharmonik and will see if I can improve them by adding some effects.

Thank you
High Sierra 10.13.6
Cubase Pro 10
Steinberg UR22C
IK Total Studio 2 Max
M-Audio Keystatoion 49
Korg Pa4X
bruce-rez

Postby smasha » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:53 am

I have the quiet issue as well.

Quiet as a mouse when I play any instrument.
smasha

Postby Tom Kearney » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:32 pm

Miroslav 2 has always been at a very low volume for me (I use Reaper). I have a Reaper "Track Template" that includes a 10Db boost whenever I add Miro to a project. This gets Miro to a closer volume to my other virtual instrument plug-ins.

With the boost, I'm very happy with the sound and performance of Miro!

Tom Kearney
Tom Kearney

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More