ARC3 measurement with integrated speaker EQ`s

IK Product Manager, Lurssen Mastering Console, CSR (Classik Studio Reverb), and acoustic correction system ARC (Advanced Room Correction) System

ARC3 measurement with integrated speaker EQ`s

Postby drumray » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:28 pm

Hello,

I use the Neumann KH 310A, which offers a basic EQ with 3 frequencies on the back. This EQ offers rough corrections if the speakers are not positioned optimally (near a wall or in a corner). Question: For a measurement in ARC3, should the EQs of the speakers be adjusted flat or roughly (e.g. with pink noise) in advance?

Thanks a lot

Ray
drumray

Re: ARC3 measurement with integrated speaker EQ`s

Postby DarkStar » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:40 pm

Good question.

My first thought was set the speaker EQs flat and let ARC 3 do all the work.

But, why not spread the load? Use the speaker EQs to get close to a decent response then use ARC 3 to do the rest.

It would be interesting to see the results of the different approaches.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Lophophora » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:00 pm

I guess the proper way to do it would be to do a first measurement with everything flat, then look carefully at the curve and see if the particular frequencies and Q factors of the knobs behind your monitors match some of the corrections that are necessary. Adjust the knobs accordingly, then redo the analysis all over again and see if it actually makes the system work less hard.

But in all likelihood this wouldn't be a perfect match and would end up being counter-productive in my opinion. The knobs usually use broad correction patterns and are far less accurate than what the ARC system can do.
Music producer & Audio engineer
DAW Reaper / OS Windows 10 / AI RME Fireface UFX II
SoundWise Music Production
Lophophora

Postby drumray » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:52 pm

Hallo, many thanks to all for the comments. Chris from IK also recommended to do the measurement with flat speakers. This is also my opinion. A correction with one sytem. I`ll give both a try this weekend. If one speaker is installed near a corner it will be a massive correction. Not sure if ARC can correct the full range realy.

Br

Ray
drumray

Return to Other Music Production Software & Tools