Best T-RackS 5 Plugins for Mixing

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

Best T-RackS 5 Plugins for Mixing

Postby bruce-rez » Sun May 31, 2020 2:22 am

Hi,
I recently bought the Total Studio 2 Max which includes T-RackS 5 plugins.
I need to choose 5 plugins from T-RackS 5 for mixing my tracks for:
    EQ
    Compression
    Reverb
    Delay
    Saturation
I would appreciate it if somebody can guide/help me to choose these 5 best plugins in TrackS that I can use in individual tracks in mixing phase.
Thank you
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iMac (Mid 2011), 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM
High Sierra 10.13.6
Cubase Pro 10
Steinberg UR22C
IK Total Studio 2 Max
M-Audio Keystatoion 49
Korg Pa4X
bruce-rez

Re: Best T-RackS 5 Plugins for Mixing

Postby garfy » Sun May 31, 2020 10:31 am

Hi bruce-rez

I guess that would depend on what you are planning on mixing, both instrument and genre-wise. Can I ask why you are limiting yourself to a choice of just 5 plugins?
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby bruce-rez » Sun May 31, 2020 6:51 pm

garfy wrote:Hi bruce-rez

I guess that would depend on what you are planning on mixing, both instrument and genre-wise. Can I ask why you are limiting yourself to a choice of just 5 plugins?
Hi garfy,

Thanks for your reply.
I am a pro musician but beginner in recording and mixing.
I am just starting to learn how to record and to mix.

After some research and reading about mixing, I learned that we can start with 5 essential plugins. That's the reason of my question.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
High Sierra 10.13.6
Cubase Pro 10
Steinberg UR22C
IK Total Studio 2 Max
M-Audio Keystatoion 49
Korg Pa4X
bruce-rez

Postby DarkStar » Sun May 31, 2020 10:45 pm

5 is just a number, don't worry about it. Maybe it was a hardware rack / console limitation. Use as many or as few as you see fit.

Applying effects is just that; affecting your recorded sound. So the first question is what do I want to do to that sound? Check out tutorials and videos on mixing. You might try Groove3:
https://www.groove3.com/browse/by-subject/mixing

Having said that, one FX chain that I use is EQ - Compressor - EQ - Saturator - Limiter.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby bruce-rez » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:04 am

DarkStar wrote:5 is just a number, don't worry about it. Maybe it was a hardware rack / console limitation. Use as many or as few as you see fit.

Applying effects is just that; affecting your recorded sound. So the first question is what do I want to do to that sound? Check out tutorials and videos on mixing. You might try Groove3:
https://www.groove3.com/browse/by-subject/mixing

Thanks for the link.
I am already following the Tutorials up about mixing, no problem here.

Having said that, one FX chain that I use is EQ - Compressor - EQ - Saturator - Limiter.
Do you use them from T-racks 5?
If Yes, Can you please name which EQ, Compressor, Saturator do you use ?
How about a Reverb from T-racks 5? Which one do you recommend for Mixing in Master Output not for individual tracks?

Thanks.
High Sierra 10.13.6
Cubase Pro 10
Steinberg UR22C
IK Total Studio 2 Max
M-Audio Keystatoion 49
Korg Pa4X
bruce-rez

Postby DarkStar » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:09 pm

First off - no specific plug-in recommendations from me. :) It all depends on the original sound, what you want to do with the sound and the effect you are trying to achieve.

Do I always use T-RackS plug-ins? Not always. Each T-Racks plug-in (and those from other developers) has itr own unique, often subtle, characteristics. And some are easier than others for me to use. The chain I posted is just an example of what works for me. And, if you look at other FX chain plug-ins you often see that the modules can be re-ordered / replaced / removed.

What would I suggest? Pick one of the plug-ins that nominally will provide the effect you want. Try it, making adjustments to get close to the desired sound. If the result is not to your liking try one of the other plug-ins of the same genre.

Sadly, there is no quick, easy answer. ;) But the more you try things out the more you will understand the differences between the plug-ins and how to use them to the best effect.

Other users will, I hope, join in, with their own views.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby bruce-rez » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:30 pm

@ DarkStar,
Agree with all you mentioned regarding plugins.
I've already started trying different plugins that I have and playing with them to find the one's that suit more to my liking.

I agree that every body uses different materials/equipment with different goal in mind.
I just was looking for a series of basic/essential plugins for mixing, as a starting point and then moving to other ones in the future if necessary.
Thanks
High Sierra 10.13.6
Cubase Pro 10
Steinberg UR22C
IK Total Studio 2 Max
M-Audio Keystatoion 49
Korg Pa4X
bruce-rez

Postby garfy » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:38 pm

Hey bruce-rez

What DAW are you mixing in? That might be a better place to start for us, then we can point you at TR5 plugins that will add something extra to the stock ones in your DAW.

If you learn how your stock plugins work, in particular compression and EQ, then you can transfer that knowledge onto TR5 plugins.
garfy

Postby bruce-rez » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:11 pm

garfy wrote:Hey bruce-rez

What DAW are you mixing in? ....

Cubase Elements 10.5
High Sierra 10.13.6
Cubase Pro 10
Steinberg UR22C
IK Total Studio 2 Max
M-Audio Keystatoion 49
Korg Pa4X
bruce-rez

Postby garfy » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:42 pm

Ok, I seem to remember Cubase 10 having a fairly usable channel strip with a decent 'vanilla' compressor and EQ section. I generally use the stock plugins in Logic for slightly mundane tasks, such as corrective EQ before using something a bit more esoteric for flavour.

My absolute go to these days (mostly mixing indie/rock/punk) is the Black 76 followed by the White 2A in series for vocal channels. The 76 is set really quick to clamp down on any peaks and the 2A gently squeezes and levels out the vocal.

The Bus Compressor has always been on my stereo out, although I seem to be using the Dyna-Mu more and more recently (also fab in M/S mode) and the Stealth Limiter is great at the end of the chain.

Bit more tricky for reverb and delay though. IKM only have the Tape Echo for delay, although it's cool if you want that kinda vibe. And the main bread and butter reverbs are split across 4 different modules so picking one is tricky, although if I really had to it would be the Plate.

Like DarkStar says though, there is no absolute foolproof chain. Trial and error (and lots of research and reading) is the way to go. Good luck.
garfy

Postby bruce-rez » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:22 am

Hi garfy,
Thanks for the suggestion about the plugins.
It's always good to have a starting point and then as you said, keep reading, practicing and learning from the errors and mistake.
Thanks again and be safe.
High Sierra 10.13.6
Cubase Pro 10
Steinberg UR22C
IK Total Studio 2 Max
M-Audio Keystatoion 49
Korg Pa4X
bruce-rez

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox