modo mixer noise on Floor Tom 2

Discussions about MODO DRUM physically modeled drums and MODO BASS - the first physically modeled electric bass virtual instrument

modo mixer noise on Floor Tom 2

Postby magwa101 » Fri May 22, 2020 4:46 pm

Catalina Mac OS 10.15.4
Modo Drum 1.0.0
Reaper 6.10
Dual Screen Mac

Mapped all the drums to stereo inputs to the Daw.

Send just a kick to Modo. I can hear it rumbling on 17/18 Floor Tom 2! Totally weird, like "bleed" but obviously all virtual, there can be no bleed. If I mute 17/18 Floor Tom 2 in the Modo Mixer the sound goes away. Issue source found.

So, what is going on??
magwa101

Re: modo mixer noise on Floor Tom 2

Postby rj.gray » Sat May 23, 2020 3:49 am

I believe they emulate ringing from the kick. You can turn it up or down on the snare.
rj.gray

Re: modo mixer noise on Floor Tom 2

Postby dlgebert » Mon May 25, 2020 7:05 pm

magwa101 wrote:Totally weird, like "bleed" but obviously all virtual, there can be no bleed.

You sound very sure of that... ;) Absolutely they can emulate not only microphone bleeding, but other drums resonating with the drum that was hit. Hit a tom and you can hear the snare rattle...

You can read more about this in the MODO Drum User Manual:

Code: Select all
4.2.3 – Buzz, Room and Overheads Controls

Just like a drum tech, with MODO DRUM, you can control every aspect of the kit construction. The MODO DRUM engine gives you control over the Mechanical Interactions.

For example, when you play the kick drum or hit the snare with your sticks, the contact between drumstick and membrane creates an interaction process between kick, snare and toms. MODO DRUM can reproduce that exact interaction to let you feel like you’re playing the real thing. Try experimenting with these two controls:

Tom Buzz: This sets the amount of mechanical interaction between the kick and the toms.

Snare Buzz: This sets the amount of mechanical interaction between the kick and the snare.

TIP: To get the desired effect from the Buzz control, try experimenting with changing the Tom and Snare settings. You will hear a change in the timbre of the Buzz.

Finally, to ensure we didn’t miss anything, we added the Room and Overhead controls for your kick, too.

Yeah, I know... IKM programmers are magicians... :D

Dave
dlgebert

Return to MODO DRUM & MODO BASS