Amplitube gear transfers between iOS and OS X

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Amplitube gear transfers between iOS and OS X

Postby growen0 » Sat May 23, 2020 6:57 am

If I make a gear purchase of a pedal or amp (for example) through the Custom Shop (Mac OS X desktop client) will that gear be available on other platforms?
growen0

Re: Amplitube gear transfers between iOS and OS X

Postby DarkStar » Sat May 23, 2020 12:38 pm

On a PC, yes. Others, no.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby growen0 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:30 pm

That's really disappointing.

I had an expectation that all the gear should be cross-platform. Which I wouldn't have thought there would be a technical limitation to if the gear is referenced to a user.

Could an IK rep jump in with a comment here regarding why that is not the case and if it's on the roadmap.

As a user it's a blocker to buying into the whole eco-system.
growen0

Postby rsommerv » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:32 pm

growen0 wrote:That's really disappointing.

I had an expectation that all the gear should be cross-platform. Which I wouldn't have thought there would be a technical limitation to if the gear is referenced to a user.

Could an IK rep jump in with a comment here regarding why that is not the case and if it's on the roadmap.

As a user it's a blocker to buying into the whole eco-system.

I agree, there is no technical reason a purchase of equipment on another platform, OS X or PC couldn't generate an IOS activation code. I have some nice presets on my PC but I can't take them with me on an Ipad if I'm travelling. It feels like price-gouging and makes me reluctant to buy more equipment knowing it will only work on my PC.
rsommerv

Postby garfy » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:57 pm

rsommerv wrote:I agree, there is no technical reason a purchase of equipment on another platform, OS X or PC couldn't generate an IOS activation code.

While this may be true (I don't know, I'm not a developer) IKM would then probably have to put the price up of the desktop version to cover the cost of the iOS version, which then wouldn't be fair on the consumer who doesn't have a need or a want for the mobile version.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby rsommerv » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:26 pm

garfy wrote:
rsommerv wrote:I agree, there is no technical reason a purchase of equipment on another platform, OS X or PC couldn't generate an IOS activation code.

While this may be true (I don't know, I'm not a developer) IKM would then probably have to put the price up of the desktop version to cover the cost of the iOS version, which then wouldn't be fair on the consumer who doesn't have a need or a want for the mobile version.

I'm not sure they would, they could just have the free Amplitube on ipad as now with one of the in-app purchases being an upgrade to allow sharing of equipment purchased on PC / OSX so you only buy the mobile upgrade if you want mobile functionality, I'd be happy to buy an ios version for that feature but I definitely won't buy duplicate equipment.
rsommerv

Postby garfy » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:17 pm

You could add your idea to the official AmpliTube Wishlist thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19889"
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby rsommerv » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:22 pm