I Got You (Collaboration Across Hemispheres)

A friendly place to share your music and collaborate with other IK users. Show off your hard work here!

I Got You (Collaboration Across Hemispheres)

Postby danwilson5 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:53 am

Hi All,

Here is a song I wrote featuring a collaboration with fellow IK user Crazy Schmidt.

It was a true collaboration across hemispheres as my brother and I are in Canada and Ian is in New Zealand. Big thank-you goes out to Ian for all of his contributions. It was a fun time and both my brother, Kelly, and I are looking forward to more collaborations with Ian.

Let me know what you think of the song and any constructive criticism would be most appreciated.

Hope you enjoy listening it.

Dan
danwilson5

Re: I Got You (Collaboration Across Hemispheres)

Postby CrazySchmidt » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:09 am

Hi Dan, only just heard the final cut yesterday and congratulations for producing a quality final production, nice work my friend! 8-)

It was an absolute pleasure working with both you and Kelly, the whole process yielded a breadth of learning for me which I am very grateful for and look forward to expanding on in the near future with you both.

This is what music is all about folks, working with other like minded souls to make cool stuff happen!! 8-)

Cheers, CS. :)
Please support Gondo Strauss at:
https://soundcloud.com/gondo-strauss/
"Old never gets Old"
CrazySchmidt

Postby danwilson5 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:09 am

Hi CS,

Thanks for the kind words Bro. It was really fun.

Just so everyone knows how much CS contributed to the project...
The opening harmony guitar lines CS played with my brother
The BGV in the verse/ chorus where my brother and I joined him in the chorus
The second guitar solo and his rhythm guitar part.

I think he will agree that I didn't give much direction on what I wanted for the track. I did this on propose, I wanted CS to be part of the process. To me, collaboration is about giving people freedom to try things and to explore all ideas. I may have wrote the song but letting go and trusting others, allowing them to contribute in a meaningful way, will always make it better.

I would recommend to anyone interested in collaborating on a music project, drop CS a line.

Dan
danwilson5

Postby CrazySchmidt » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:28 am

Hell Dan, you are the hardest guy I have ever had to work with, so uncompromising!! :roll: :lol: :D

It was actually hard for me at first to just do my own thing because of respect to you as the composer, but you quickly put me at ease with that for sure and it was real fun once I learned how to relax with that.

I want to say what an absolute pleasure it was to work with other real, like minded musicians, after having not played in a real band for several decades, this was absolute magic.

Dan was also kind enough to share with me the original sound files when I had expressed my interest in doing my own production/mix. Here are the results of that production session.

I hope you enjoy it. :)

"Old never gets Old"
CrazySchmidt

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:05 pm

Can you elaborate on your collaboration process to create this? Nice work, by the way!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby danwilson5 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:13 pm

Hi Peter,

Thanks, it was a lot of fun working with Ian and my brother on this song.

Our Procession of Collaboration:

Sure, it started when Ian wrote "Hey Dan, nice work buddy, that's my kind of rock n roll I could play in that band if you know what I mean, it's my kind of stuff, nice and catchy." about the song "Gone Down Home". I took that to mean he would be interested in collaborating on a song. Since I liked the way Ian plays and the guitar tones he gets, I jumped at the opportunity.

The easy part...
1.) You need to agree on bit depth and sample rate. (We used 24 bit/ 44.1kHz)
2.) What DAWS you use. (Didn't think that would matter but it does...sometimes)
3.) Method of file transfer. (We used Dropbox)
4.) Send a rough mix of the song. (In this case drums, bass, scratch vocal and 1 guitar)

The careful part...
You have to agree on what does collaboration mean. This can be tricky, especially about something you wrote. Both Ian and I negotiated this carefully in the beginning, after all we only knew each other from this website and the things we each had posted. My take on collaboration is give the other person freedom to be creative and listen to and respect their criticisms. I felt that if we were going to really collaborate Ian, Kelly (my brother) and I would have to be equal partners in this endeavour. Which means...

Building Trust...
For example, Ian came up with the guitar harmony part at the beginning after I said we needed something after the first 8 bars.
My brother thought that it should be an 1/8 note later, so I moved it and sent it back to Ian. Ian was polite about it but stated his position on the change. I could tell in the writing he was being careful but a little more back and forth and in the end we all concluded he was right. I think that broke the ice and a more honest flow of ideas followed.

Patience is a must...
This process took a couple of months from start to finish. Its not like a bunch of friends getting together hashing out a song and then going into a studio to record it. Another cool thing is the time difference between New Zealand and Canada which meant Ian would start his weekend a day before we did. So every time Kelly and I got together to work on the song it was like Christmas...what did Ian send us this week? Both of us found that inspiring and I hoped each revised mix I sent Ian would inspire him as well.

Communication...
Besides dropbox, Ian would also post ideas privately on soundcloud and ask what I thought. This helped speed up the process, as this happened mid-week. I think most comments, if not all, were "don't change a thing send it over". As Kelly and I were putting down our tracks I would send a revised mix of the song and a suggestion about what was needed next to Ian.

DAW problems...
I use logic and Ian uses Reaper. We did run into one problem sending files back and forth, you would think that the file would all play in sync if we all agree to start the files at bar 1. It took us a Saturday evening frantically emailing back and forth trying to solve the problem and we sorted it out.

So far there has been no talk about playing music or how things were recorded/ mixed, which goes to show that music is really about interaction between humans. I hope this helps explain our process of collaboration. Sorry about it being so long.

Dan
danwilson5

Postby CrazySchmidt » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:44 pm

I couldn't have put it better myself Dan, very well explained my friend. :D

Just one small correction though, my DAW is Ableton not Reaper and it was the warping feature in Ableton that caused the syncing issues which Dan actually found the solution to via a great YouTube vid.

The next collaboration will be a lot easier for sure!

"Old never gets Old"
CrazySchmidt

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:59 pm

Wow thank you for the detailed explanation of your process.

What IK products were used in this collaboration?
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby danwilson5 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:35 pm

Hi Peter,

Again sorry about the long post. I hope someone can use it to help in their collaboration project. In that way our community can start to share and have more fun.

To your question about IK products used...

In my mix I used the following plugins

Amplitube 4
Marshall JCM800 (I believe)
Ampeg (Bass)

T-Racks
Black 76
White 2A
Stealth Limiter
Tape Echo
Precision Comp/Limiter or Dyna-Mu (can't remember which one)
EQP-1A (on 2 bus)

Arc System 2.5 for room correction (and my room needs a lot of correction! :| )

I hope Ian will add what he used on his mix of the song.

Dan
danwilson5

Postby CrazySchmidt » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:08 am

Hi guys, my stuff is simple, Amplitube Orange on my harmony parts and the second lead solo. 8-)

Cheers, Ian.
"Old never gets Old"
CrazySchmidt

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:48 pm

CrazySchmidt wrote:Hi guys, my stuff is simple, Amplitube Orange on my harmony parts and the second lead solo. 8-)

Cheers, Ian.

How did I know this already? :D
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby CrazySchmidt » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:33 pm

Peter_IK wrote:
CrazySchmidt wrote:Hi guys, my stuff is simple, Amplitube Orange on my harmony parts and the second lead solo. 8-)

Cheers, Ian.

Well, when you've got something that works really well, why change it right? :D

Amplitube is such a richly diverse and dependable product for recording with, it's a must have even if you have real amps to use as well. 8-)
"Old never gets Old"
CrazySchmidt

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:31 pm

CrazySchmidt wrote:
Peter_IK wrote:

Cheers, Ian.

Well, when you've got something that works really well, why change it right? :D

Amplitube is such a richly diverse and dependable product for recording with, it's a must have even if you have real amps to use as well. 8-)

Hey you didn't have to butter me up with that last part ;) Seriously, though, I think our developers are amazing and agree. As an old fogey with plenty of amps and analog experience I love having AmpliTube and T-RackS and all of these tools virtually. In general, recording in the box is great for getting creative ideas out quickly and effectively - and... no more razor blades!
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby CrazySchmidt » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:16 am

LOL yeah agreed, one of the things I hate about real amps with recording is all the time spent in getting the mic position right, the tone right, gain levels, choosing the right guitar etc... and this is for every song for both rhythm and solo parts.

Amplitube is pretty much select your favorite preset and bang your on the mark, tweaking gat tones through the song development just couldn't be any easier.

There ya go, spread that on your toast. ;) :D
You may need to get your cholesterol tested also!! :lol:

"Old never gets Old"
CrazySchmidt

Return to The Jam Session