Cannot connect iRig Blueboard to OSX 10.9.4

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Re: Cannot connect iRig Blueboard to OSX 10.9.4

Postby birdd » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:08 pm

I found a way to connect a rig Blueboard on Mac without Bluetooth LE ( Low Energy).
I can plug it on my Mac Air 2010 without any problem . I will post a video soon I have time on How to do it. It is very easy.

Bird
birdd

Postby atlantisrd2005 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:04 pm

hi Bird
would you so kind please let me know about it?

GEORGE
atlantisrd2005

Postby mmoraguescoll » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:36 pm

Hi bird!!
That's very nice!!
I can not wait to see that video you are going to post.
Please let us now when and where.
Thank you very much!!
mmoraguescoll

Postby timothysandersen » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:17 am

HI has anyone establish how to get this blue board connected to the mac. App is searching but not finding, is this a gee up or what? My research says my mac has BT 4.0, do i need to turn it on some how? :D
timothysandersen

Postby Billious » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:41 am

Timothy, AFAICT the BlueBoard will ONLY connect to the Mac through the official app, which is a huge PITA. ("Musicians first"?! Ha!) I wanted to use a different application - Cycling 74's "Max", which I'm using anyway - to intercept and use the bluetooth messages directly from the BlueBoard, but no go.

If I'm wrong could someone please correct me?
Billious

Postby timothysandersen » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:51 am

deadset..... Ik are you there? Is this right?
timothysandersen

Postby Billious » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:12 pm

I've just re-read the whole thread and, yes, you need bluetooth 4.0 (or higher, I assume) and the official app in order to use the BlueBoard with a Mac.

From an email conversation with Daniel from support on Jan 27 2015:

> Just to be 110% clear, in order to pair a BlueBoard with a Mac (i.e. just pair it, not do
> anything with the messages it sends)…
>
> - The Mac must support Bluetooth 4.0 / LE
> - It must be running OSX 10.7 or later
> - The BlueBoard app must be installed and running

Yes, all 3 of those requirements must be met. If you're unsure about the BlueTooth 4.0 capability, send in the Mac Model and I can let you know if it is compatible.
Billious

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:43 am

The app is required because it needs to do the Bluetooth-to-MIDI translation. We'd be happy to work with other developers to implement support directly (yes we ARE musicians first, but we cannot magically insert code into apps that do not support the BlueBoard Bluetooth-to-MIDI part of the process without consent :) ) and we've both reached out and have published how they can get in contact with us. If you have any specific developers you'd like to see implement it, I would suggest directly to them and I'm sure something could happen.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Billious » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:21 am

@Peter_IK:

Sorry if I offended you with my "musicians first?!" dig, it's just that the BlueBoard is A-L-M-O-S-T such a brilliant device… it's frustrating!

If it transmits numbers via bluetooth (and although I know nothing much about about bluetooth I can't think what it'd possibly do other than transmit numbers of some sort) then Max could easily translate those numbers into MIDI (or anything else), no SDK required. I recently bought an iMpulse game controller which transmits ASCII characters (i.e. numbers) via bluetooth and am using it to remote-control Max and make it send all sorts of MIDI messages. I've also got a Rock Band 3 keyboard controller that normally transmits bluetooth messages to a Nintendo base station, but I haven't got one of them - I just pair it directly with the Mac and use Max to translate the numbers into MIDI.

The BlueBoard, while transmitting different numbers than both these devices, probably wouldn't be any more difficult than that. It's just that it can't be paired to the Mac without the BlueBoard app.

Actually, one thing I didn't ask was this: if the BlueBoard app is installed and running, can it simply be ignored and can another app - like Max - then see the messages from the BlueBoard?
Billious

Postby timothysandersen » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:12 pm

Hi mate yeah if you could tell me that would be great, thanks for your help gents.
Os-x- 10.9.5
2.5ghz i7
16gb 1600 ddr3

Is this enough info? I have register my product, downloaded the app, opened the app, no show on the connect to option, cheers, peace, Timmy.
timothysandersen

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:08 pm

Sure they could (or users could) implement a hack or use the available SDK/API to integrate directly :) I don't have the exact specs to share but I'm afraid the devs would still say "share information about the SDK" if I were to request deeper details.

Yes, the BlueBoard app can be in the background and you should be able to use it - or more specifically the MIDI messages - in other apps.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Billious » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:27 pm

@timothyadnersen: Sorry, it wasn't me offering to tell me whether your Mac's compatible,
it was Daniel from support.

@Peter_IK: I certainly won't be doing any hacking!;-) And I'd still prefer to have the raw messages from the BlueBoard *IF* it could simply be paired with the Mac, like any other bluetooth device I've ever played with. I can't understand why IK Multimedia would want to force users to use their app…?
Billious

Postby Vitaefinis » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:12 am

Peter_IK wrote:
Catonlj2 wrote: I will also have to respectfully disagree that Windows tablets are just as likely to be used on stage as iOS devices, as iOS devices are far more popular for live use (as well as for any mobile device music making tasks) as we have definitely studied the markets.

I would suggest you to revise your thoughts on the subject after checking out Microsoft Surface Pro 3 or 4 or any of the new Win10 machines.

It's just a bad decision not to make it available for Windows, however low you think the usage will be, you're just ruling out an entire userbase even though AmpliTube itself is available for Windows.

While I will look into the SDK you mentioned, as I am a software engineer, this just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
It doesn't make sense from a business point-of-view either; the amount of resources you put into making a driver (you can even outsource it, it's 2015) would be dwarfed by the amount Windows users would pay for the Blueboard.
Vitaefinis

Postby andresluis » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:22 am

Same problem here, you should warn the bluetooth compatibilities in a more persuasive way.
This is going back to the store.
andresluis

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:35 am

andresluis wrote:Same problem here, you should warn the bluetooth compatibilities in a more persuasive way.
This is going back to the store.

Did you report your issue to IK Support? I'm sure they can assist you at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support
Peter_IK
Kingpin

PreviousNext

Return to Interfaces & Controllers