iRig Blueboard software features

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Re: iRig Blueboard software features

Postby tomd100 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:25 pm

I use an app called MidiPipe which allows you to take the output from the Blueboard and translate it to almost whatever you want before sending it on to your final application. It allows me to use the Blueboard to send the same midi code with each press for example thus allow me to scroll through presets if I want to. It's free too.
tomd100

Postby xmortenx » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:01 pm

Double Tap for CC triggering is a pain... :) It needs a switch mode..
xmortenx

Postby xmortenx » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:37 am

Whau! Just saw the above... :)

So with MidiPipe can you then interpret the toggle CC on and CC off messages from the Blueboard to same value so a vst only receives - on - on - on - on when pressing the BB.

I will try though I hate having all kinds of software chains running since they always break down eventually, needs updating etc.

In short it would be easier if IK just put it in there, and let us focus on music :)
xmortenx

Postby bagginz » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:40 pm

Just received my Blueboard.

Superb form factor. The best out there in fact (y)

Like many modern musicians/dj's my shows are usually a flight away. We require our gear to be lightweight, compact, reliable, sturdy and easy to set up. Not an easy balance to achieve.

The Blueboard ticks all those boxes for me. No wires? Brilliant!

I bought mine for live looping with Ableton. I've managed to Kludge together a working setup using Midistroke to convert the programme changes to keypresses.

Which brings me to the software. Currently it just about squeaks by. (hmmm no latch/momentary switch under cc?)

It's fine for it's original intention - patch changing in Amplitube. But the unit has *so* much more potential.

I reckon you'd sell them by the palletload (like the ubiquitous Korg Nano Kontrol) if the software was developed into something properly customisable so that it could be used to control any midi application. For one example, how about adding midi transport controls for remotely foot controlling record punch in and outs in the studio? Incredibly useful for solo recording.

I also reckon y'all have missed a trick by only making one unit available at any one time under Bluetooth.

I definitely would have bought two units had it been possible - for controlling 8 loops instead of 4
Last edited by bagginz on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bagginz

Postby bagginz » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:50 pm

double post...
bagginz

Postby jhk3rd » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:46 pm

Is there any iOS app that can do what MidiPipe does? I'm using an iPad for looping with Loopy.
jhk3rd

Postby jhk3rd » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:13 am

To answer my own question, it appears that MidiBridge can customize the BlueBoard functionality. The developer provided me with some code to operate Loopy with single taps. I haven't been able to try it out yet, but he is confident it will work and very responsive to requests for help.
jhk3rd

Postby jhk3rd » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:41 pm

MidiBridge definitely works to allow you to convert doubletap commands to a single on-on command for apps like Loopy. It's an $8.99 purchase but a huge improvement over doubletapping and definitely worth it to me. Setup takes about a minute and does not affect other apps like JamUp Pro.
jhk3rd

Postby cloverstreet » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:55 pm

Practically useless for my needs until there is a momentary switch mode. Can't believe this hasn't been added. It would be such an easy fix. - I find IKM hardware product support to be severely lacking.

Please add momentary switch mode asap. So many want it. Every other controller does it.
cloverstreet

Postby Mortacciis » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:49 pm

could someone help me setting up midipipe to avoid double tap on stompboxes?
Mortacciis

Postby tomd100 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:42 pm

Setting up MidiPipe:

First you need to capture the midi from the BlueBoard (BB) using the Midi In tool. If the BB is up and running it should appear in the drop down list. I don't think you need to hijack the midi unless you want to prevent it from being seen elsewhere in other software but I'm not sure about that - you'll need to experiment.

Next, for each button you need to capture the msg sent and convert the "off" msg to an "on" msg. In normal mode the BB toggles between "on" and "off" control change messages which are represented by the numbers 127 and 0 respectively. The "on" msg is usually the one that will change presets in whatever receiving software you're using. To make this change you need to use the Set tool in MidiPipe. Within this tool set the first parameter to Control Change. Next set the Control Change # to whatever value you have set the BB button to. I use 16,17,18 and 19 but you can set them to whatever you want in the BB software. Finally check the value checkbox and set the value to 127. This has the effect of always issuing a 127 when MidiPipe receives a CC msg matching the Control Change button setting. Repeat for all buttons if necessary.

The final step is to set the MidiOut tool. I leave this as is which means that the output is set to MidiPipe Output 1 and this is what I use in the receiving software to control presets up and down etc.

Of course I have described the process for manipulating CC messages and within MidiPipe you can also do the same thing for PC messages if the BB is configured to send these. I hope this helps.
tomd100

Postby Mortacciis » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:09 pm

Thank you very much!! After a couple of experiments it seems to work!!! Thank you!!
Mortacciis

Postby guillebona » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:45 pm

I see a lot of complaints that the Blueboard cannot be switched to momentary MIDI commands, but very few seem to be aware that this indeed can be done.
The problem is that IK Multimedias instructions and information on how to use their products is worst than lousy.

The Blueboard has 3 ( Three, yes ) different MIDI modes. If you turn it on pressing the A button you get the regular Blueboard Mode, as when you take it out of the box. If you turn it on pressing the B button you get it in a "Note " mode ( C3, D3, E3 and F3) . If you turn it on pressing the C button you get it into the "Control Mode , CC Mode with MOMENTARY switches, ( CC# 20,21,22 and 23 ).
In these two last modes the Blueboard software is useless.
To connect it to the iPad you need to use a third party software such as Midimittr, here there is a link which explains how to do it: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10724&p=56686&hilit=blueboard+momentary#p60897

I have also figured how to change modes and still get connected to my Macbook.
If you want to have the Blueboard send Notes, you turn it on with the B button pressed on. If you want the Blueboard to send CC's you turn it on with the C button pressed. If you want to return to the "Blueboard Mode" you turn it on with the A button pressed.

To get connected while you are in the B or C button mode , you open AudioMIDI setup in your Mac, then open the MIDI Studio window, double click on the Bluetooth icon, click on the "advertise" box, turn off and on again your Blueboard , and you should see it on the device list in the Bluetooth configuration window. CLick on the "connect" box and your Mac should now start receiving the MIDI commands directly from the Blueboard.

The Blueboard device will appear on your DAW or VST Host ( Plogue Bidule for example ) , as "Bluetooth IK Multimedia IK000041"
guillebona

Postby wstcst42 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:04 pm

Brilliant! :D
wstcst42

Postby Maddcow » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:29 am

gvkvmm wrote:As a keyboard player, I really need a pedal that does "momentary" effects. That's what the normal Sustain pedal will do, for example. This cannot be done with the software as it is. The Blueboard only sends one command per button press, either a PC or a CC, and sends it on either press OR release, depending on the settings in the Blueboard software. Every other pedalboard that i've used can be programmed to send a "press" AND "release" indication. The fact is that the Blueboard can detect button realeases. It's even used when "allow bank changes" is set in the settings. So obviously, it's just software limitation.

Also, the BB does not allow the mix of PC and CC commands. Not just in a particular bank. This is a global parameter. So you're either stuck with PC commands sent once per button press, OR CC commands that latch on until you press the same button a second time. This may makes a lot of sense to a guitar player. Not to me. I would also like to be able to send any midi command, like NoteOn.

I know, and use, MidiBridge. I still can't find a way to use MidiBridge to toggle values on incoming midi commands. So I can't use the BB for "momentary" commands. That's a deal breaker for me. Also, I prefer not to rely on third party software to process Midi commands and "translate" them on the fly. It's just one more point of failure, especially during a show.

I understand, and use, Midi learn in software (I use Ableton and others on my Mac). In fact, I am able, like you, to control many things with the BB as it is (exept in garageband...). I even use the BB as a bluetooth page turner in ForScore and OnSong on my iPad, after channeling through my Mac. What works works. I would just like to be able to use the BB as my only pedal board when I really want to be as mobile as possible.

I find the software very limited, and the only thing that I dislike about the BB is the restricted functionalities of the software. Why not make it so that any switch can send any Midi command, with either latch, momentary, or send-once mode for each? Why not let the BB send multiple Midi commands per button?
Wow. A couple of hours ago I received my Blueboard after ordering online and I can't believe how limited it is. I really wish I'd read this thread first. The inability to program individual switches for different MIDI commands is just crazy in 2017...and what's worse is that it'd be SO easy for IK to implement!
Maddcow

PreviousNext

Return to Interfaces & Controllers