iRig Blueboard software features

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

iRig Blueboard software features

Postby gvkvmm » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:47 pm

Although I love the hardware, the software is lacking basic functionalities:

- Cannot save any modifications made to parameters.
- If you reopen the software, it reverts to its basic configuration
- Cannot mix PC and CC commands in a bank
- Cannot have a button act as a momentary switch
- PC mode defaults to "click to send a PC"and the behaviour cannot be changed
- CC mode defaults to "click to LATCH" on CC and the behaviour cannot be changed
- Setup choices are limited even in IK applications
- Even more difficult to use in non-IK software

This makes the Blueboard unusable for me.

I have contacted technical support and opened a ticket. The response was
"The BlueBoard app will be improved over time. We are definitely taking suggestions and getting feedback from users for a better experience with the BlueBoard app.
I will forward this ticket to our development team as a user request for further review.
" but I was not able to get a basic list of functionalities or a date for a "new version".

Does anybody have a date for a new release?

Any other ideas for new functionalities?

I would like this post to stay (and not get locked) so other users can add their feature requests.
gvkvmm

Re: iRig Blueboard software features

Postby ShawnLeonhardt » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:33 pm

I use my BlueBoard with every single vst (or should I say AU cause I use a Mac). Most Of the time settings I make stay when I go back later. Every now and then for some reason it isn't saved. No big deal to me, takes a second to midi learn.

I also use it with almost every IOS app except garageband. If you use and really learn the midi bridge app you can get some pretty great settings out of the BlueBoard. (Look up midibridge and their forum)
I mentioned all this once before on here. You may want to either contact tech support, and ask specific questions of how to use the BlueBoard. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems you either are not sure how to use it, or may be expecting it to do things it wasn't meant to do. In essence it is a very simple wireless midi control board that helps with making loops in loopy, controlling presets in apps or software, or controlling stompboxes in guitar effect apps. I use the BlueBoard app to hook it up wirelessly to my target app or software and the rest of the programming is done within the software I am controlling. All that was made clear when I read the specs and bought the board.
Being paid to write songs is not that glamorous... I have created my share of crapola for cheapskates. :) Be careful what you wish for....
ShawnLeonhardt

Postby gvkvmm » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:19 pm

As a keyboard player, I really need a pedal that does "momentary" effects. That's what the normal Sustain pedal will do, for example. This cannot be done with the software as it is. The Blueboard only sends one command per button press, either a PC or a CC, and sends it on either press OR release, depending on the settings in the Blueboard software. Every other pedalboard that i've used can be programmed to send a "press" AND "release" indication. The fact is that the Blueboard can detect button realeases. It's even used when "allow bank changes" is set in the settings. So obviously, it's just software limitation.

Also, the BB does not allow the mix of PC and CC commands. Not just in a particular bank. This is a global parameter. So you're either stuck with PC commands sent once per button press, OR CC commands that latch on until you press the same button a second time. This may makes a lot of sense to a guitar player. Not to me. I would also like to be able to send any midi command, like NoteOn.

I know, and use, MidiBridge. I still can't find a way to use MidiBridge to toggle values on incoming midi commands. So I can't use the BB for "momentary" commands. That's a deal breaker for me. Also, I prefer not to rely on third party software to process Midi commands and "translate" them on the fly. It's just one more point of failure, especially during a show.

I understand, and use, Midi learn in software (I use Ableton and others on my Mac). In fact, I am able, like you, to control many things with the BB as it is (exept in garageband...). I even use the BB as a bluetooth page turner in ForScore and OnSong on my iPad, after channeling through my Mac. What works works. I would just like to be able to use the BB as my only pedal board when I really want to be as mobile as possible.

I find the software very limited, and the only thing that I dislike about the BB is the restricted functionalities of the software. Why not make it so that any switch can send any Midi command, with either latch, momentary, or send-once mode for each? Why not let the BB send multiple Midi commands per button?

That's why I contacted tech support and why I posted here: hopefully, someone at IK will let the developpers know what additional functionalities are requested by the users. It's not even difficult to program (that's what I do!). And also, hopefully, IK will let us know what the programmers are working on (pius wish...) so I don't have to return the BB.
gvkvmm

Postby Obitheincredible » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:16 am

gvkvmm wrote:Although I love the hardware, the software is lacking basic functionalities:

- CC mode defaults to "click to LATCH" on CC and the behaviour cannot be changed

"The BlueBoard app will be improved over time. We are definitely taking suggestions and getting feedback from users for a better experience with the BlueBoard app.
I will forward this ticket to our development team as a user request for further review.
" but I was not able to get a basic list of functionalities or a date for a "new version".

I would like this post to stay (and not get locked) so other users can add their feature requests.

Thanks for the suggestions. They have been forwarded to our development team. Our release dates set internally are not public as dates change along with features and releases.

As long as this thread stays cordial and friendly I will allow the thread to remain. The moment it turns, it will be locked and/or deleted.
Obitheincredible
1K Club

Postby timbayron » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm

Hello, your Blueboard hardware is fantastic, unfortunately but, your software made the Blueboard, for serious work, unusable.
Last days I spend also my time changing parameters and rename banks at the software for to work together with MainStage and my live setup program. After this work I closed the program and opened at the next day. Big surprise, any modifications are saved, when you reopen the software, it reverts to its basic configuration.
I don't want a think for example about what happens if before or thru the concert your computer made some problems and you must restart.

Is there some update on work?
timbayron

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:15 pm

timbayron wrote:Hello, your Blueboard hardware is fantastic, unfortunately but, your software made the Blueboard, for serious work, unusable.
Last days I spend also my time changing parameters and rename banks at the software for to work together with MainStage and my live setup program. After this work I closed the program and opened at the next day. Big surprise, any modifications are saved, when you reopen the software, it reverts to its basic configuration.
I don't want a think for example about what happens if before or thru the concert your computer made some problems and you must restart.

Is there some update on work?

If you have experienced an issue with the software not working properly, best is to report it to tech support at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/support as this seems it could possibly be an issue that they can help with, or at least recreate and get details over to development. Thank you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby timbayron » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:12 pm

Peter_IK wrote:If you have experienced an issue with the software not working properly, best is to report it to tech support at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/support as this seems it could possibly be an issue that they can help with, or at least recreate and get details over to development. Thank you.

Thanks for your answer.
Well I don’t report to tech support because for one side the software it works fine and as I see, until know there it was no one software update.
The „only“ issue is that there is any point on your FAQ or on the software manual where is written that you can change many options on the software but after you don’t go to be able to save nothing of your work. This notice would be a big help before buying.

Do you think seriously, if you are on tour and you must expend your time programming the iRig Blueboard every day before your gig, is this a good solution?

I really hope you include soon the save function to the software because the hardware are excellent but until now not really usable.
timbayron

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:38 pm

Banks and other information seem to be saving here, that's why I recommended you contact support to get to the root of the issue. Thank you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby timbayron » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:05 am

Peter_IK wrote:Banks and other information seem to be saving here, that's why I recommended you contact support to get to the root of the issue. Thank you.

Thanks again for your answer. It looks like that the problem is known. There is a missing folder that normally should be created during installation. It might be desirable to write about the possibilty of this missing folder and the simple solution on your FAQ to save work and time. Thanks.
timbayron

Postby tomd100 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:47 am

I have the same issue with the Blueboard settings not being saved when you close the app. I am running it on a MacBook Air. The interesting thing is that I also run it on a Mac Mini and on the Mac Mini the settings are saved when you close the app. So what is the story here? It is possible that I have a difference in config between the two machines - though they are both running Mavericks and both using the same Apple Id with admin permissions. There must be a solution that doesn't require a new version of the software?
Last edited by tomd100 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
tomd100

Postby tomd100 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:54 am

gvkvmm wrote:Although I love the hardware, the software is lacking basic functionalities:

BTW just noticed this list of issues - check out the free software called MidiPipe which can add much needed functionality to the Blueboard by allowing you to hijack the midi signals from the Blueboard and manipulate and translate them. Great piece of software - I was able to change the "click to latch" function and issue a 127 message each time a button is pressed which I used to navigate up and down a list of presets...
tomd100

Postby tomd100 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:18 am

Ok I have managed to solve the problem of the Blueboard not saving presets and other config changes. As I mentioned in my previous post I have a Mac Mini on which Blueboard was working fine and a Macbook Air on which it wasn't. So the difference between the two is a folder in my Documents folder called "IK Multimedia" and a folder within that called "iRig Blueboard". Within the iRig Blueboard folder there are all 64 .plist files, one each for each preset within PROG Change and CTRL CHANGE (32 in each) the names are

0_iRigBBProgramChangeBank.plist
1_iRigBBProgramChangeBank.plist
2_iRigBBProgramChangeBank.plist
0_iRigBBControlChangeBank.plist
1_iRigBBControlChangeBank.plist
2_iRigBBControlChangeBank.plist

There is an additional file called iRigBBSettings.plist for all other settings.

I would add a zip of all my files to this msg if this forum would allow but it doesn't seem possible. Anyway the message to IK Multimedia tech support is why not make these available and solve the problem. Almost every review I have seen lists the inability to save config info as a major problem - one review even gave the feature a -2 (presumably out of 5)! It's an easy fix.

Wait! I have an idea. The interesting thing about my working Mac Mini installation is that there were other IK Multimedia products already on the machine when I loaded the BB. So there was already an "IK Multimedia" folder in place (within Documents folder) when I installed the BB app. So if you uninstall the BB app, create the "IK Multimedia" folder and re-install the BB app it should, theoretically, create the "iRig Blueboard" folder within and all the .plist files within that.
tomd100

Postby andymccrink0 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:00 pm

This Definitely Works!!
SO... If your BlueBoard doesn't save & remember your Bank names on your MAC... just create a New Folder in Documents & name it 'IK Multimedia' . Now... re-install the iRig BlueBoard software & hey Presto it saves on quit & remembers all your Banks the next time you open... great advice from previous. Love & Peace! :D
andymccrink0

Postby wstcst42 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:27 pm

I am looking forward to something like the KMI Softstep software without all the x/y stuff.
There is also Bome's Midi translator pro for now.
I am one of the dupes who is stuck with the original KMI BUZZ steps. The original software that came with that piece of kit will make you cry. The new software is marginally better but you have to have it running to turn off the buzz backing lights.
There support told me there is nothing they can do for me other than to buy the new one for three hundred more dollars and if I want to sell the one I have without disclosing the issue like they did, its my call.
I would rather wait for improvements from Ik any day.
I mean come on, it is wireless and it doesn't buzz or cost an arm and a leg.

Anyone had word on the developers kit?
wstcst42

Postby appliedculture » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:13 pm

these are SERIOUS issues with this unit. the only serious issues to speak of. all transport control with blueboard is out of the question. i love the form factor, responsiveness, everything about this except for the fact that the pedals latch in CC mode. using this with ableton live requires a double tap and that is an easy, firmware fix. will they do it? until then, this is a toy and i'm not happy to say it because i was an early adopter.
appliedculture

Next

Return to Interfaces & Controllers