AXE IO One L & R Outputs

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

AXE IO One L & R Outputs

Postby rpaulpen » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:04 am

Hello all,

Just new out here. Recently bought a Axe IO One and connecting output to a headrush frfr108 cabinet, using Amplitube 5. The back of the Axe has a L and R. If I connect the TRS cable from L to the speaker, do I set the Amplitube's L and R channels both to output 1 OR output 1 and 2? Either works but the volume is louder when both set to output 1, but the earphones only play the left side.

Or:

do I use a Y cable from both of Axe's outputs into one TRS cable to the speaker? Then set Amplitube's L and R channel to output 1 and 2 respectively.

Really looking for best practices here and the right way to set it up.

thanks in advance.

RP
rpaulpen

Re: AXE IO One L & R Outputs

Postby rstubes » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:11 am

Not official tech support, but here are some thoughts.

I seem to recall that output 1 is tied to the headphone L and output 2 is tied to headphone R, so it makes sense that you're only hearing one side of the headphones when you set both outputs to 1.

I don't think a Y-cable will help because a stereo Y breakout cable combines two TS cables to a single TRS cable sharing the ground. I believe the rear outputs of the AXE I/O are balanced TRS. A typical stereo breakout does not merge two TRS cables.

I looked up the frfr108 and it seems like you may be able to get another TRS cable and run both AXE I/O outputs to the two inputs in the back of the 108. The speaker should combine the two channels into a single signal for the speaker to play. You won't get any stereo effect since there is only one speaker, but you'll still hear stereo effects through the headphones.

Might want to check the manuals or email their customer support and verify that it will accept and merge two simultaneous inputs. I feel like that is pretty common for those types of mono speakers so that they can accept a signal form a stereo source or be used as a pair for true stereo.
rstubes

Re: AXE IO One L & R Outputs

Postby rpaulpen » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:36 am

Thank you for your reply.

I contacted IK support and they basically said to just use the L mono.

On some of the head rush forums, people were stating that even though plugging 2 channels into the back may work, the stereo effects might sound off since the second channel was really made for a second instrument/mic.

Thanks again.

RP
rpaulpen

Return to Interfaces & Controllers