ToneX Pedal USB Volume/Gain Adjust When Bypassed?

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

ToneX Pedal USB Volume/Gain Adjust When Bypassed?

Postby robertv4311 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:17 pm

Hi all,

Minor issue I've encountered:

When I record, I set my ToneX Pedal in interface mode and bypass the model on the pedal to just get the raw signal. Then I use the ToneX software within the DAW (Presonus Studio One Artist) to access tones.

This has generally been working great, especially when I run a pedal in front of the ToneX (which I like to do to add a little analog "authenticity" lol). However, I've noticed that on my guitars with really high-output pickups, the signal is pretty loud and if I hit hard I can get a clipping warning from Presonus. (For those familiar with Studio One, it's the thing that shows you the number of times you've gone over, sometimes called a "clip counter.")

I was surprised to find that nothing in Global Settings really affects it while bypassed. I've tried the following:

--TRIM IN seems to do nothing in this mode
--MAIN VOL, similarly nothing
--INTERFACE VOL affects the volume in my headphones but not how hard the signal is hitting the DAW
--Setting USB to DUAL also doesn't seem to matter (my understanding is that if you don't bypass, this gives you both the raw and the processed signals, which obviously won't fix my issue)
--Turning down the fader in PreSonus obviously reduces the volume on the track but the clip warning I'm referring to is the level before this stage.
--In the IK device control, the volume options are grayed out. Maybe this is the culprit, since I'd obviously try the input slider if it worked. (If so ... any way of fixing that?)

Any thoughts?
robertv4311

Return to Interfaces & Controllers