TONEX Pedal Not Responding to Kemper MIDI Program Change

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

TONEX Pedal Not Responding to Kemper MIDI Program Change

Postby - » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:02 pm

After listening to many YouTube demos of the TONEX Pedal, I decided to get one to hear for myself. Being a long time Kemper (now Kemper Stage) user with effects that I dialed in...and really like, I have not been able to get a satisfying Mesa Rectifier sound after years of searching and trying many profiles. YouTube content creator Ed S posted the exact Recto sound (IK ToneX vs Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier - Round 4!) I have wanted since the early 2000's and shared it as "MirrorProfiles Recto Rev G" on ToneNet, and I downloaded it. Droped it into my Kemper Stage effect loop (2) and put it to the test once the levels were normalized. Holy crap! Thank you, Ed S!!! And with my Kemper pre and post effects it sounds amazing. The Kemper compressor I use to boost/drive the front of the amp profiles sounds HUGE on TONEX. TONEX takes effects really well (thank you!) I'm sold!

TONEX does capture better than anything I have heard to date. It may be "next generation" capturing that Kemper can't quite do, but I give a lot of credit to Kemper for long term support. It's not dead yet, and it will live on allowing users to use the effects and select either Kemper amp/cab Profiles or TONEX Captures. Kemper has solid effects, and the product functions flawlessly. But to get the most realistic core tone of amps and cabs, TONEX is the "drop and insert" solution. The Kemper Stage can handle the rest...well almost. I have two problems running the two together. I wondered why no YouTuber posted on using these two devices together, and maybe this is the reason (below).

The primary problem:

The TONEX Pedal is not changing presets when the Kemper Stage is sending MIDI Program Change messages. I have isolated the fault to TONEX expecting to see Control Change CC00 or CC01 to switch between the two banks of presets prior to receiving the Program Change number to select the preset I want associated with my Kemper effects presets. Other MIDI devices I own accept program change messages without the CC00/01 message from Kemper. TONEX doesn't respond at all. Darn!

The only way I can get these two units to change in unison is to have the TONEX Pedal send MIDI commands to the Kemper Stage, but now I only have 3 preset channels at my feet instead of 5 on the Kemper. I really want my Kemper Stage to control the TONEX Pedal with MIDI.

So, can IK Multimedia please add an option in the reception of MIDI Program Change messages to accept just the PC messages without the CC message in front of it? I know there is a limitation of 128 presets, but that is better than nothing. Maybe have messages with CC01 for selecting the upper bank only, and automatically default to the lower bank of 128 presets when no CC message is received??? That would solve the issue for (I'm sure) a lot of users who need pre & post effects synchronized for their awesome TONEX captures.

Problem two:

No one is talking about this, but there is a lot of delay changing between presets on the TONEX Pedal. It is actually hard to time changes during live performance. You have to anticipate, and that is very distracting. Can this be fixed? Kemper doesn't have this latency issue. It is instantaneous on Kemper.

Thanks for listening. 8-)
GuitarPHILBERT
-

Re: TONEX Pedal Not Responding to Kemper MIDI Program Change

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:30 pm

Switching on TONEX Pedal should not have a gap. I'd report that to IK Support. For feature requests you can also submit them directly or enter them into the "TONEX Pedal Wishlist" thread on this forum.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby - » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:35 pm

Peter,

Thank you. Will report. And will request.

Phil
GuitarPHILBERT
-

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:37 pm

Fantastic! Well not fantastic that you have a problem though, I'm sure the team will assist you and get you up and running.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Interfaces & Controllers