Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 and the Tonex software - terrible lag

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 and the Tonex software - terrible lag

Postby pedro26 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:16 pm

I'd seen the YouTube videos on the Tonex pedal, but I thought I'd just go down the software route.

However, with the guitar signal going into the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 into the Tonex software and back through the Focusrite to MX Audio BX5 monitors, the sound coming back to me is so far behind the actual picking of the notes it's unusable for practice purposes.

Would this happen with any audio interface with such a signal routing path?
I normally just play directly into one of my amps. I bought a POD 2.0 when they first came out and later a Fender Mustang which does amp simulations. I've Blackstar tube amp, a Bugera tube amp, and a vintage Traynor tube, but thought I'd be able to get better simulations of the Soldano, twin reverb etc. etc. via the Tonex software and the above method, but I cannot work with that response delay.

In the Focusrite I'd turned the direct monitoring off, as that was making the situation worse, with a clean sound arriving back into the room then with a significant delay the amp simulated sound.

Is there some setting I'm missing? My computer is not particularly new 2.67 GHz core i7 920, 4 cores, CPU, 12GB ram, 500GB SSD boot drive, plus extra hard drives for storage.

I have a slightly newer computer, which I don't use for music stuff 4 GHz core i7 6700K, 48GB of ram, one of these M2 style motherboard ssd drive chip. which I could possibly use.
pedro26

Re: Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 and the Tonex software - terrible

Postby pedro26 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:47 am

I contacted the IK support team, who instructed me to lower the buffer to 64 in Tonex’s audio settings.

(In Tonex audio settings)
Sound was also set to AISO, but strangely the Focusrite AISO was greyed out in the input field/box, now I was getting no sound at all. So in Windows, I went to settings-sound, then I used the Windows troubleshooter, which suggested setting audio enhancements, I allowed that. The changes needed a computer restart to take effect.

After the restart there was no discernible delay/lag between picking the guitar and hearing the Tonex amp play the note. Result!

Thank you IK support.
pedro26

Return to Interfaces & Controllers