re: IK Hammond organ plug-in & assigning M-70 IDI channels

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

re: IK Hammond organ plug-in & assigning M-70 IDI channels

Postby Richard@ » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:01 pm

I'm not a newbie - I have over 50 years experience in recording, but I just haven't worked enough with MIDI.

The Hammond organ plug-in is supposed to be able to be driven by two keyboards. I just don't understand the steps in assigning MIDI channels to them via the plug-in. Can anyone help me?

FWIW, I have a Roland D-70 and a Yamaha PSR2000. The current "hook-up" is as follows: The Yamaha MIDI is OUT to the D-70 IN and the D-70 is OUT to the Audiobox interface. As is, this set up will drive one of the keyboards.

Nowhere with the Hammond user manual do I see specific step-by-step instructions for setting things up for the result I want.
Richard@

Re: re: IK Hammond organ plug-in & assigning M-70 IDI channe

Postby DarkStar » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:16 am

Have a look at section 2.5 in the User Manual :)
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Richard@ » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:06 pm

Yes. This is precisely what I don't understand.
I explained my existing MIDI cord hook-up with my keyboards.
At present, my Roland D-70 is triggering the upper keyboard.

I need a step-by-step instruction on how to select whatever buttons/presents are necessary for my second keyboard to trigger the lower.
Richard@

Postby darkogav » Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:07 pm

I dont use your particular keyboard controller but use other ones. The process should be the same. you need to set the MIDI controller to send midi to a particular CC output channel. The Hammond should have a list of channel it listens to or a list of channel you can change/customize. Make sure it is listening to it. For example, to change speaker speed, it listens on CC1. So set your midi controller knob/slider to output to CC1. Sometimes you can just set it to MIDI learn on the software, and move the particular knob or slider on the controller and it will map that to the channel. Check 2.6.1 in Hammond manual.
darkogav

Postby Richard@ » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:10 pm

I'm still not getting it. But question:

In order to accomplish this task, does the interface box need more than one MIDI input? Because mine only has one.

As I explained previously, one keyboard's MIDI out goes to the next keyboard's MIDI in and that keyboard's MIDI out goes to the interface box.

Used as such with other plug-ins (like the Lounge Lizard EP or the UVI Rotary64) only one keyboard triggers said plug-in. I have never yet encountered a plug-in that uses more than one keyboard. THAT'S my problem. I don't know if I have to access specific menus on the keyboards so that I can fully use the Hammond plug-in.
Richard@

Postby darkogav » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:21 pm

I am not sure. I had a quick look at the Roland D-70. It seems it should work. There may be a bit of menu diving as its a slightly older keyboard. I had something similar in the past. Looking at pages 68 to 71 in the manual, you should be able to map it. I just dont know what it will do to your other setup that is working for you.
darkogav

Postby Richard@ » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:33 pm

My manual has only 65 pages:

https://g1.ikmultimedia.com/plugins/Man ... d521bb64b2

Unless you're talking about the D-70 manual?
Richard@

Postby darkogav » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:39 pm

Sorry. I meant the Roland manual.
darkogav

Postby Richard@ » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:46 pm

Yeah, I looked at the Roland manual.

I also created a ticket for support ticket at IK Multimedia.

Other question: is what I'm trying to accomplish totally a matter of MIDI channel designation on the keyboards, themselves? Meaning, I can accomplish what I seek with my current MIDI cord set up? I realized that the the Audiobox interface also has a MIDI out jack. Do I need to connect one of my keyboards to that?

This is all so confusing. When I originally set up my two keyboards, I had a very savvy studio technician to help me. A friend who runs his own recording studio. It was all easy-peasy with someone who knows what they're doing.
Richard@

Postby darkogav » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:52 am

Hi. I used to have an older midi controller. IIRC, I connected the MIDI out from keyboard into a converted that was MIDI to USB. I then had to manually program the MIDI channels for whatever was non standard by default. One of the reasons I picked up a newer controller.

One of these things.

https://www.avshop.ca/recording-midi-in ... -interface
darkogav

Return to Interfaces & Controllers