Axe io settings question

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Axe io settings question

Postby Joeljr65 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:30 am

Hello all,

I am running an Axe io with Amplitube 5 max, on a Mac Mini, and a Mimo 10 inch touchscreen monitor. Everything works great.

I run out of the Axe io into a soundcraft ui24, then to a pair of line array speakers. It has a great sound.

A friend came over and plugged in his fm3 to my system, and it had more clarity than my system, in a pretty big way. My setup sounds very good, but his just had some clarity.

I experimented with turning on the cab global bypass in Amplitube, and it is more like what I heard from his, but I lose the character of the cab in a way that sort of hurts the tone.

When I turn the cabs back on, the tone is better, but sounds just a bit too flat. Are there settings in AmpliTube that would allow some compensation globally? Or am I barking up the wrong tree.

There isno eq on in my pa system, and I made no changes before or after plugging in the fm3. I believe I am just missing a detail.

Again, my system sounds great, it is like something with the cabs are just flat. Opinions and ideas appreciated.
Joeljr65

Re: Axe io settings question

Postby Sharmon123@ » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:25 am

What if you just put an EQ in the post chain ? Not as good as native but it will shine it up a bit. You may be hearing the tone processing as a little flatness too. Like an amp brake or an acoustic simulator pedal ,what they try to simulate is very close but not quite there yet.
Sharmon123@

Postby Joeljr65 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:10 pm

I would say that is where I head to next. I was just trying to discover if there was a way to globally adjust amplitube to get that crispness. The tones of the Amplitube are very good. It's just missing that edge.

I ran some Tonex amps and cabs, and it is pretty much the same. For my ears, I enjoy Amplitube just as much as Tonex.
Joeljr65

Postby Sharmon123@ » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:35 am

Digitize an analog sound with a very high sample rate and then scoop a very thin band out of the midrange. Listen this and original side by side. They will sound identical but one would be "something not quite right". It's probably the processing you hear in the higher ranges.
Sharmon123@

Postby Joeljr65 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:29 am

I believe you are correct. By adding an eq to each preset and bringing up 2k and 4k as little os 2db I can hear the "flatness" depart.

I suppose its just like a real amp, you have to get them dialed in to get the correct tone and eq. My friend potentially spent a great deal of time perfecting his patches. He is MUCH better and more experienced than I in the digital world. I come from tube amp only.

THank you.
Joeljr65

Return to Interfaces & Controllers