Axe I/O one vs. Tonex Capture

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Axe I/O one vs. Tonex Capture

Postby Taco-Zwart-1963 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:20 pm

Hi everybody, I'm totally new to IK-Multimedia (I recently bought the Tonex pedal), I have no clue about IK Multimedia Software, nor about Audio interfaces (i don't have any yet) ... Sorry.

I've watched some Youtube tutorials, but things are still not very clear to me.

The reason I bought the Tonex Pedal is because I have some modded "custom" amps, I'd like to "capture", and than play as presets with the Tonex pedal.

Initially I was thinking of buying the Tonex Capture device, but now with Axe I/O One (and I suppose the other AXE I/O models), I'm lost ... Do I still need the Tonex Capture or not ?

Do I need an(other) Audio interface ?

Where does ths Tonex or Amplitube SW fit in all this ?

Any suggestions of which way to go ?

And last but not least ... I'd like to capture the sound of my amps + their cabs, but apart from my Shure SM58 vocal microphone, what microphone would you guys recommend for capturing the sounds of my amps ?

Sorry for bugging you guys and thanks a lot for your feedback.

Taco
Taco-Zwart-1963

Re: Axe I/O one vs. Tonex Capture

Postby Timo2019 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:19 pm

I run Tonex capturing and all other interfacing needs through my Axe I/O solo. No need for the Tonex capture. I just purchased the Axe I/O ONE for and gigging or travel (desert jam trips). You are pretty much set with an AXE I/O interface.
Timo2019

Postby Taco-Zwart-1963 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:57 am

Thanks Timo, I think I'll go that way as well then !
Taco-Zwart-1963

Postby vac713 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:32 am

The one is fine if you're gonna mic the cab (note: the choice of mics will color your sound). Correct me if I'm wrong folks, but if you wanna capture just the amp, you'll need a capture
vac713

Postby Timo2019 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:44 am

3.4.2 – Amp from SPEAKER OUT/POWER OUT
To capture am Amp from the Speaker Out/Power Out do as follows:
1. In the application select the Amp option and press NEXT.
2. Connect your guitar or bass to an instrument input of your audio interface.
We call this INSTRUMENT INPUT.
3. Connect a line output of your audio interface to a reamplification box.
If you have TONEX Capture, you can use it as your reamplification box connecting the line output of
your audio interface to the line input of the TONEX Capture.
If you have an AXE I/O or an AXE I/O Solo, you can use the reamp out without the need of an external
reamplification box.
We call this SEND TO RIG.
4. Connect the instrument output of the reamplification box to your amp.
If you have the TONEX Capture, connect the to amp output to your amp.
If you have an AXE I/O or an AXE I/O Solo, connect the reamp out of the interface to your amp.
5. Connect the SPEAKER OUT/POWER OUT of your amplifier to the TONEX Capture FROM AMP input
and use the dedicated switch to select POWER OUT.
6. Connect the TO CABINET output of the TONEX Capture (or similar device) to a cabinet or a load box
with the correct impedance.
7. Connect the LINE OUT of the TONEX Capture (or similar device) to a line input of your audio interface.
We call this RETURN FROM RIG.
8. If you have more than two outputs, you can connect your speakers to monitor the results. We call
these MONITOR L and MONITOR R.
9. In the application select the correct audio interface and the correct inputs and outputs.
Remember: on the AXE I/O the reamp out is Output 5 and on the AXE I/O Solo the reamp out is
Output 3.
10. Select the desired Buffer Size and press NEXT.
Timo2019

Return to Interfaces & Controllers