DI FOR CAPTURE NEEDED

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

DI FOR CAPTURE NEEDED

Postby Ivansandoval777 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:28 pm

Hi fellas.

Ive done tons of captures on tonex using my axe fx 3(+4db) out- amp in - speaker out - load box- axe fx. My question is.. why do we need a tonex capture? do we need it to get the +4db out power (I guess most audio interfaces dont have it). I just want to make sure Im doing it the right way. I tweak the out volume in the exact half of the axe fx. Looks my capturing work is pristine, I just want to know IK multimedia insists on having a DI box.
Ivansandoval777

Re: DI FOR CAPTURE NEEDED

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:39 pm

The need for a re-amp box (not necessarily requiring TONEX Capture) is to get the correct signal into the amp. TONEX Capture handles this and more, just making it easier but not required if you have an audio interface + reamp box or and audio interface like AXE I/O that has a re-amp function/output.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Ivansandoval777 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:45 pm

Thanks, but whats the technical reason? is because most interfaces dont send +4db to the amp? or whats the reason? is it a different type of signal? It seems to work ok, the reason Im asking why I need a DI box is to make sure Im getting the best result on my captures with no need to guess how much output volume I have to send to the amp every time I want to capture, Id like a passthrough device. The problem is.. once any interface receives the guitar signal and it sends the signal through its output.. it just already changed the signal volume so you must correct the guitar output volume (even if youre not correcting the signal type) am I right?
Ivansandoval777

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:51 pm

Ivansandoval777 wrote:Thanks, but whats the technical reason? is because most interfaces dont send +4db to the amp? or whats the reason? is it a different type of signal? It seems to work ok, the reason Im asking why I need a DI box is to make sure Im getting the best result on my captures with no need to guess how much output volume I have to send to the amp every time I want to capture, Id like a passthrough device. The problem is.. once any interface receives the guitar signal and it sends the signal through its output.. it just already changed the signal volume so you must correct the guitar output volume (even if youre not correcting the signal type) am I right?

Because no interfaces (unless they have a re-amp out) will send the same level nor type of signal your guitar sends into your amp.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Ivansandoval777 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:04 am

I dont have money for the tonex capture, is this product correct to do that?
https://www.radialeng.com/product/prormp
Ivansandoval777

Postby GerishS12 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:50 am

The reason why companies like IK Multimedia recommend using a DI box when capturing tones is to ensure that the signal is properly balanced and that the capture is as accurate as possible. A DI box can help to eliminate any unwanted noise or interference that may be present in the signal, and can also help to maintain the integrity of the tone as it's being captured. While it's possible to capture tones without a DI box, using one can help to ensure that the capture is as accurate as possible. That being said, if you're happy with the results you're getting without a DI box, and you're confident that your captures are pristine, then you may not need to worry about using one. Ultimately, the choice is up to you, and it's important to experiment with different setups and techniques to find what works best for you.
GerishS12

Return to Interfaces & Controllers