PSA for Axe I/O SOLO owners using a Windows host

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

PSA for Axe I/O SOLO owners using a Windows host

Postby Sharmon123@ » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:09 pm

I was having a problem with Amplitube 5.5.4 going south about every 2-3 days on my Win 10 box. Presets would start to sound really bad until the point of being unusable and I couldn't figure out why.

Found out the problem was with the Axe I/O SOLO all along NOT Amplitube 5.5.4. If you have a newer Windows computer you have to turn on EXP in the BIOS. This if disabled continues to provide USB power to devices so you can still charge USB devices with your computer shut down. This will leave your Axe I/O SOLO powered on indefinitely which will eventually corrupt the cached data from the Amplitube app stored in the Axe. This will not be a problem on MACs or with the non SOLO version of the Axe as it has it's own power switch. There is no workaround and this is repeatable.
Last edited by Sharmon123@ on Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sharmon123@

Re: PSA for Axe I/O SOLO owners using a Windows host

Postby DarkStar » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:25 pm

You may not need to venture into the BIOS. Have a look at Advance Power Settings and at the USB device power management preterites in the Device Manager.

Having said that, can you please let Support know as that data corruption should not be occurring?
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Sharmon123@ » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:32 pm

For Gigabyte computers it is called Erp. You are looking for extended power management which you want to make sure is enabled , disabled by default.

Thank you Darkstar , that may not work as this is a powered off state not under Windows control. The BIOS method was tried on a Dell board and a Gigabyte board and Amplitube instantly fixed itself on reboot.
Sharmon123@

Postby Sharmon123@ » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:49 pm

One Axe I/O SOLO user on a Youtube channel reported that it worked on his Toshiba laptop 17 minutes after I posted the fix , he was pulling his hair out like I was and *poof* the problem went away as soon as he changed the setting. The channel has a massive subscription base and I am sure it will spread to the users faster than support ever could. I am just happy that my gear is working again after 10 days of configuration fun. Support was emailed the fix as well as it's posted to the IK Multimedia FB page , this is very common with Windows desktop PC users apparently (not as common on Windows mobile because Erp is enabled by default on laptops for obvious reasons.)
Sharmon123@

Return to Interfaces & Controllers