Axe I/O + Shure SM58 almost no volume in Windows

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Axe I/O + Shure SM58 almost no volume in Windows

Postby GOTFrog13 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:35 pm

I have a Axe I/O audio interface, guitar side works flawlessly, but when I try using a mic windows sees like 15% volume max from it, phantom power is on, mic gain is 95% to 100%, in the driver I see it go to the -35 to -20db mark while talking with the mic about 8" away from my face, I can get it to reach the 1st yellow bar by yelling. It does the same with my cheap Neweer mic that served me really good with my beringer Q802USB.

It's so bad that other than Discord, apps like Teams, Zoom and browsers don't even get the mic signal and in Discord everyone has me at 200%.

Please help, I had to get creative for a couple of interviews I did.
GOTFrog13

Re: Axe I/O + Shure SM58 almost no volume in Windows

Postby ZanderStrack69 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:39 am

I wonder why nobody told you to contact support; usually that's one of the first things you'll be told by the moderators here.

From all I've read, IK Support has a good reputation of really wanting to get the issues resolved and seem to have a good track record.

Since this is a user forum, you won't get some support official just swing by and chime in, you'll need to open a ticket if fellow users like me are slow to respond or can't help at all. (I just use it with my guitars/bass, no mic yet, so I can't help you.)
ZanderStrack69

Postby BobF3 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:16 pm

Why are you using phantom power on a dynamic mic?
BobF3

Postby GOTFrog13 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:27 pm

Alright I'll try support out, I also didn't know that you didn't need a phantom power on a dynamic mic, but without phantom, I don't even get above 3% volume in windows and about 15-20% with phantom.
GOTFrog13

Postby supanorton » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:46 pm

If I were using an sm58 for speaking, I'd have to use a CloudLifter or other preamp. Dynamic mics are low output. Ideally, you want a condenser mic.

The Behringer isn't an audio interface, right? Isn't that a live mixer?

Maybe support will help, but a 58 that's 8 inches away going into any audio interface without a preamp of some kind isn't going to produce much of a signal.
supanorton

Return to Interfaces & Controllers