Will Axe I/O lower latency?

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Will Axe I/O lower latency?

Postby aleph999 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:36 am

I am helping a friend guitarist set up a digital processing unit. He is all for it, but he complains about latency while using his Focusrite 2i2 interface with a somewhat old laptop (Pentium i3). To avoid pops & cracks, he has to use at least 128 samples, which, according to him, produces a noticeable latency.

My question is: if he purchases an Axe I/O interface with the accompanying Tonex software (or even with Amplitube), will he be able to achieve a lower latency – since those products are made for each other - with the same computer? Or will he have to update his laptop anyway?

Furthermore: is there something like AmpliTube in dedicated hardware?
aleph999

Re: Will Axe I/O lower latency?

Postby Cabezon_IK » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:43 pm

Hey there,

So it would really depend on what your friend is attempting to do at the time.
If they are trying to record something live, like a guitar or instrument; They are going to want to have a lower buffer size in play for recording.

Now for playback this is another story.
You will want a higher buffer size to reduce latency, clicks and/or pops when playing back and utilizing plugins.

As for the hardware specs on the rig; this is always a factor.
However tough to say because there are many aspects to that portion of the spectrum.
Cabezon_IK

Re: Will Axe I/O lower latency?

Postby dougs.ik » Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:04 am

The Axe I/O is able to run at 64 buffers with my I5-2400 which I do when playing an e-drum kit into big Superior Drummer kits. It's as good or better than everything I used except the RME Babyface.

Cabezon is correct, when I go to mix in my DAW I put the buffers at 1024 or 2048 and that allows me to run many more tracks and plugins for mixing. If I want to drum along with those (or play guitar) I print the tracks and go back to the lower buffer settings.
dougs.ik

Return to Interfaces & Controllers