AXE IO "standard" vs "solo" noise issues

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

AXE IO "standard" vs "solo" noise issues

Postby lcipher » Wed May 04, 2022 12:53 am

I have an AXE IO (standard) and just bought a SOLO to use on my other computer.

On the SAME COMPUTER, same cables, monitors, etc - the standard has zero "noise".
The SOLO at high monitor volume has a rustling type of computer noise.
If I swap the usb cable with a ferrite bead balun, the noise drops quite a bit but is still barely there. Nothing on the standard.

Is this normal or do I have a "bad" unit? Like I sad the "standard" is perfect with the exact same setup (cables etc). I believe the noise is that "fluttery" rustle sound from computer clock. Doesn't matter where I move it etc. The only thing that drops it is the different usb cable.

I hate to have to send it back (bought it from IK direct) - has anyone heard this? Vol on the monitors has to be all the way up, but still....
lcipher

Re: AXE IO "standard" vs "solo" noise issues

Postby Peter_IK » Wed May 04, 2022 3:46 pm

You may be experiencing USB bus noise. Since the AXE I/O Solo is being powered by USB you will sometimes run into an issue like this (as with any gear that is connected and powered by USB). I wouldn't go returning the unit just yet, I'm sure IK Support can help you with this and get you all set. Please open a ticket with them and they'll assist you directly. Thank you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Re: AXE IO "standard" vs "solo" noise issues

Postby lcipher » Fri May 06, 2022 4:01 pm

Thanks Peter - I think it's probably "normal". Like I said it's pretty low on the noise floor and I'm familiar with even RME products seeing some of this type of noise at super high volume levels. Really not an issue at normal levels and if it was at high vol levels the guitar sound would certainly be massively louder than the noise.

It actually may be that the AXE "standard" is just so super low that my standards are a bit high!

Pretty nice unit - in my testing I found that the standard and solo drivers can coexist very nicely. Plugging in the standard or solo just uses the correct driver. Was a nice surprise.
lcipher

Return to Interfaces & Controllers