AXE I/O + iRig Stomp + MIDI?

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

AXE I/O + iRig Stomp + MIDI?

Postby jmeddy118 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:10 pm

I have an AXE I/O and an iRig Stomp and running Amplitube 5. I find the the AXE I/O gives a better sound and volume balance than the iRig Stomp does, so I am sending the guitar signal into Amplitube 5 via the AXE I/O, but I would like to use the iRig Stomp to switch presents via a MIDI connection instead of using the dial on the AXE I/O. I've connected a MIDI cable to the Stomp MIDI out and to the AXE MIDI in and set the program MIDI input to iRig Stomp Controller. I've also tried iRig Stomp Port 1. The iRig is also plugged in via USB, otherwise the program won't see the Stomp.

However, once I plug in the Stomp, I lose all sound and nothing works. I see the AXE getting a signal, but nothing comes back through the program.

Anyone know how to set this up so the iRig Stomp can still be used as a switcher via MIDI when the signal is going through AXE I/O only?
jmeddy118

Re: AXE I/O + iRig Stomp + MIDI?

Postby thesurfdog » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:46 am

Did you ever get it sorted?

Using the Stomp to control AT5 thru the AXE I/O would be a game changer.
thesurfdog

Postby jmeddy118 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:13 am

Yes I did! And here's how...

from the Stomp, midi cable in the OUT port to IN on the Axe I/O. Both units are connected via to USB the computer. Open Amplitube 5 and go to the icon with the 3 lines on it (next to Live) and click, which will bring up the settings menu. Make sure input and output are selected as AXE I/O and MIDI input is on Stomp I/O. if you are on a Mac, you may need to go to system preferences -> sound and ch ange input/output to AXE I/O.

This should work and allow your Stomp to change the presents while running the signal through the AXE I/O. I find I get a much better signal through the AXE than I did going directly through the Stomp. Additionally, playback tracks from YouTube or iTunes, etc... are much louder than they ever were with running the Stomp only.

I will say that Amplitube itself is fickle and sometimes you'll open the program and get no output signal even though you'll see the input signal registering as coming in on the meter and yet all settings will be correct. Sometimes you just need to keep restarting the program or restarting the computer or powering the AXE and stop down (unplugging them for 10 seconds) and repowering and restarting the program. No idea why this is, maybe the program is just buggy.

Let me know any other questions, but figuring this out has indeed been a game changer for me.
jmeddy118

Postby jlf71 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:33 pm

I do not understand this. Can someone clarify?
Here’s what I have……
Axe io usb’d into my pc. Guitar plugged into axe io. I have axe io selected as input and output in amplitube 5. Everything working great.
So I buy the stomp io. I don’t have a midi cable so I usb it into back of computer. I have axe io as Input/output and “midi input” as I rig stomp io. Again everything works great. I can select banks and pedals all that stuff.

So I go buy a midi cable hoping to have everything going into the axe io. I plug the midi into “out” on pedal and “in” on axe io. I get nothing. I plugged pedal into power socket because I don’t have usb attached and there is no power/lights or anything. The axe showing midi attached (yellow light) but nothing.

Do I still have to have the usb cable attached from pedal to computer? If so? Why am I even bothering to midi it into the axe io? Like in the posts above?

Thank you
jlf71

Postby jmeddy118 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:48 pm

I leave both the Midi cable and USB connected as well as use the AC power for the Stomp. I really don't know how or why this works. At times it seems like it's just blind luck because I will often start Amplitube 5 with AXE I/O and Stomp plugged in and nothing will work, no sound, and I have to go into the Amplitube settings and change the input/output to AXE I/O (as MacBook speakers/mic and Stomp are both selectable options). Sometimes I go to the settings and AXE I/O is already selected as the input/output and I have to go to System Preferences on my MAC and change the SOUND input/output there to AXE I/O. Sometimes all of those selections are correct and I still get no sound and have to restart Amplitube or the computer. And finally sometimes all inputs are correctly selected but the Stomp doesn't switch presets when the buttons are pushed and I have to unplug all of the hardware and restart the program or computer.

Long way of saying that Amplitube 5 seems like a very fickle and buggy program and you just need to keep restarting the program and your computer to make everything work.
jmeddy118

Postby jlf71 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:22 pm

Thanks for response…

But what is the benefit of plugging into midi port on axe io if I still have to have usb attached from the pedal to the PC?
jlf71

Postby jmeddy118 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:27 pm

Honestly could not tell you. I could never get the Stomp to work as switcher with just the USB cable connected. Even just using the MIDI cable caused me problems, so I've just used both and that seems to work more consistently.
jmeddy118

Postby jlf71 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:56 pm

Ok thanks.
jlf71

Postby Markoss151 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:47 pm

Ok, so i followed your instructions with the midi cords and the axe and stomp are working well together but the only sound im getting is out the headphones plugged into the Axe and not my studio monitors. Do you have your speakers plugged into the Axe like usual or something else?
Markoss151

Postby jmeddy118 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:32 pm

I have speakers as well as headphones. I run the headphones out of the AXE headphone output with the volume knob turned to DAW. The speakers I have connected by 1/4" cable to the outputs of the Stomp. I haven't tried the line outs on the AXE to speakers as the connecting to the Stomp works for me.
jmeddy118

Return to Interfaces & Controllers