No sound coming through

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

No sound coming through

Postby Carlhonore82 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:36 am

Hello,

Just bought a new iRig Pro. Trying (in vain) to get it to work with my Macbook and iPad.

It connects to both machines via the supplied cable. And both machines recognise the iRig because it appears in the Microphone options.

But when I select it the audio dies. Nothing comes through to either the iPad or the Macbook.

I'm using a high-end lapel microphone that is plugged in (via a connection cable) to one of the XLR slots. I have tried both slots. But no audio comes through.

Both the 48V and Direct Monitor switches are turned off. But I have also tried with them on and get the same result: no audio reaches either the iPad or the MacBook.

I have looked at countless videos on YouTube and no one addresses this problem. Nor does anyone actually show you how to hook up the iRig to a Macbook or iRig. Weirdly, they do that part off camera and then show themselves playing guitar. Not very helpful for a rank beginner like me.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!
Carl
Carlhonore82

Re: No sound coming through

Postby Huddy_IK » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:45 pm

The iRig Pro does need to be connected to a compatible application to engage it's audio functionality. For example, if you connect to your Mac computer and open up AmpliTube 5, you would set the input/output to be your iRig and you should be ready to play!

Same on the iPad, one must open an app to engage full functionality. While you can of course use our apps such as AmpliTube, VocaLive, iRig Recorder 3, etc., there are also tons of 3rd party apps that will work great.

What app(s) are you attempting to use there?
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Huddy_IK

Postby Carlhonore82 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:29 am

Thanks for your reply!

I have tried with both Amplitube 5 and VocaLive. On both the MacBook and the iPad.

On the iPad, I cannot find the iRig anywhere in the Settings and it doesn't power up, either.

On the MacBook, it powers up and I am able to select it as my Input Source. Can also hear some static hiss coming out of the laptop speakers.

But not sure where to go from here. When I record a video using QuickTime there is no audio? And can't see how to start a recording in AmpliTube itself.

I have downloaded AmpliTube 5 on my MacBook. It gave me the option of selecting the iRig Pro Duo as my Input source, so presumably that is good news?

All I want is to be able to record videos on my iPad using the iRig Pro Duo to feed in audio from my lapel microphone. Don’t want or need to do any or much fiddling around with editing etc. Just simple, clean audio for the spoken voice – that’s all I want.

Is there some super simple video on YouTube explaining how to do this?

Thanks!
Carl
Carlhonore82

Postby Huddy_IK » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:49 am

Hi Carl,

Ah, you are using the iRig Pro Duo, ok. Please make sure you have tried some new, fresh batteries (NiMH or Alkaline recommended) when using with the iPad. The Pro Duo does require a significant power source to operate when connected to the iPad. Batteries or a PSU would work great.

Since there are several points here, I would suggest to reach out to the Support team for additional guidance. You can reach them here:

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Huddy_IK

Postby Carlhonore82 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:36 am

As I said before, power is NOT the problem. It powers up fine when plugged into my MacBook.

Been talking to Support and they say the USB-C cable you supply with the iRig no longer works in the new iPads. Wish I'd been told this sooner! :( :

They told me to use the USB-A cable with an adaptor to USB-C instead. This works. I now have power to the iRig when plugged into the iPad.

But I'm still stuck. I have downloaded both VocaLive and Amplitube 5 for the iPad. The iPad recognises that the iRig is connected because it asks if I want to enable multiple channels (to which I say yes – is that wrong?).

But then nothing else happens. I can't work out how to make any audio from my lapel microphone register in the iPad.

All I want is basic speech audio. Nothing fancy.

Any suggestions for how to get this working?

Also, you mentioned getting a separate power unit for the iRig. Can you send me the exact link for that so I can buy one online knowing it's the right one?

Thanks!
Carlhonore82

Postby Huddy_IK » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:17 pm

Thanks for the clarification.

Power is supplied differently when using an iPad, hence the suggestion there. It was not clear you had a USB-C device there, that does affect the connections here as is being expressed to you in the support ticket.

The PSU is great to get around always needing batteries, especially if you are not being mobile with the unit.

The PSU for the iRig Pro Duo I/O is available here on the IK website:
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/p ... g-psu-9175

This is meant to be an easy style plug-n-play connection, sorry to hear of these continued snags along the way! Which 'lapel microphone' are you using exactly? This may be a factor.

Let us focus on one app at a time though. Close all other running apps from the background and only open VocaLive. With the Pro Duo connected and your microphone plugged in, adjust the gain settings. Do you see any signal being received to the Pro Duo itself? The blue LED will flicker to green and then orange when input is received (red if clipping).

Within the VocaLive app, under Menu > Settings, you will see input level here displayed as well.

Within VocaLive, if you tap the 'tape recorder' icon, you can also see input levels displayed here.

Hope this helps!
Huddy_IK

Postby Carlhonore82 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:40 pm

Thanks for this!

I'll order that PSU now

My microphones are: DPA DSCREEET SC4071BM

As you suggested, I closed all the apps on the iPad. I then adjusted the Gain settings. Nothing happened. The iRig remained lit up in blue but no flickering green or orange occurred at any point.

I was already looking in Menu > Settings and not finding any levels there. I have now tried in the Tape Recorder icon –– same story.

Your question implies that there is third place to look for settings.
Carlhonore82

Postby Huddy_IK » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:56 pm

Thanks for the info!

From what I see online, that microphone uses a microdot connector, is that correct? I am honestly not too familiar with that connection but if so, is there an adapter you are using? Please provide a bit more detail here as this appears to be the factor.

Alternatively, do you have a different microphone which connects via XLR to try out or even a guitar/bass you could connect and see if signal is received?
Huddy_IK

Postby Carlhonore82 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:29 pm

You lost me at "microdot connector"! :)

The microphone screws into a Neutrik adapter that on its side says:
DAD601
P48 (12V - 48V)

That plugs into an XLR cable with this name: VDC NEU XLR M - XLR F 3M

This XLR cable then plugs into the iRig Pro Duo.

The only other mic I have is a Blue Yeti. And I don't think I have the cables to plug that into the iRig
Carlhonore82

Postby Huddy_IK » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:27 pm

Thanks for the additional details.

Is this your microphone? https://www.digibroadcast.com/sound-c63 ... -clip-p786

Looks like the microphone requires +48V Phantom Power from the above link (if its correct!). I do see from the images provided in your support ticket that phantom power was not engaged (the top LED comes on).

Please check the '48V' switch on the left side of the iRig Pro Duo I/O and set to ON.

Are you able to get sound now?
Huddy_IK

Postby Carlhonore82 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:46 am

Ok, now we're getting somewhere!

Yes, that is my microphone.

I turned on Phantom Power – and now the audio lights are lighting up on the iRig when I speak into the mic. I can see also see the Input levels going up in VocaLive.

Which is great!

But when I record a video on the Camera app on the iPad no audio comes appears in the recording. Only video. I can still see the iRig lighting up, which suggests that the audio from the mic is reaching it. It's just not getting into the iPad.

Is there some software or settings tweak I can do to put this right?

Feels like we're almost there!

Many thanks...
Carlhonore82

Postby Huddy_IK » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:39 pm

The stock video app does not offer realtime monitoring. Upon playback, do you hear the audio?

Try out the iRig Recorder 3 LE app available in the App Store, this is an app we offer and does provide monitoring during the video recording.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/irig-reco ... d426702477
Huddy_IK

Postby Carlhonore82 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:49 pm

No, there is zero audio on playback.

Someone also suggested turning On the Background Audio. I tried that and still no audio comes into the iPad.

What is the "stock video app"?

Went to the link you sent to download the app but it's not available for some reason. There is no "Get" button. There is when I go to the App Store on my iPhone but not on the iPad.

See here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2p69sofn8zglj ... 5.png?dl=0
Carlhonore82

Postby TheBigBoss1 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:06 am

I just bought a Irig Pro Duo for my daughter... and I agree there are very few good connection tutorial online, if not none. All of them are indeed introducting the products and doing the plugging off camera as you pointed out.

I was told Pro Duo is Android and PC Compatible so I went ahead with the purchase...

My daughter got AmpliTube on PC with that free QR scan, she did some testing but failed. I will have to sit with her and dop the troubleshooting.

This said, she wanted to use it with her phone... GarageBand is not available on GooglePlay, there are some GarageBand APKs online from shady website so I have told her not to install it.

[mod redacted - unnecessary]

So I wonder which free Android recording device is recommended to recording and jamming on an Android phone.

PS. I will come back for some advices, I need to do further testing as my daughter is a total nood in technology :) I wanted to know if link to Youtube video are allowed here.

Thanks.
TheBigBoss1

Postby Djobangg » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:55 am

Hello,

I recently bought a Irig Stream Solo device. However I have exhausted my strength in trying to get it to work on my iPhone.

I have connected all the relevant cables to the Irig Stream solo device (DJ controller to Irig [via a Twin RCA cable] then Irig to IPhone [via a 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter])… with all the cables connected, a Green light appears above the Power symbol..

But when I attempt to record the audio from my Dj controller using my iPhone camera, no audio from the controller is recognised in the saved camera recording. The only audio that can be heard is any external sounds being received into the iPhone mic.

However, when plugging my headphones into the Irig input I can clearly hear the audio coming from my Dj controller. In addition, this also applies when plugging my external speaker into the ‘THRU’ input using a 3.5mm to RAC cable

I have looked at countless videos on YouTube and no one addresses this problem. I’ll be extremely grateful if you can help me solve this issue

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!
Djobangg

Return to Interfaces & Controllers