Absurdly low guitar level recording with Axe I/O

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Absurdly low guitar level recording with Axe I/O

Postby swamiorson » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:59 pm

Hi folks,
Learning jazz guitar I want to record myself / mix it with backing tracks or BIAB tracks or other stuff using my new AXE I/O - but I ran into a problem which doesn‘t depend on the software I use (Logic Pro or Ableton Live or Reaper…..) or the machine I use (MacMini M1, Macbook Pro Intel) or the version of the operating system (High sierra, Catalina or Big Sur): although the level meters show a fine level with enough headroom before I hit the record button………. it records my guitar (Ibanez and Eastman archtops) with an absurdly low level and a dull, damped sound. If I crank up the gain on the AXE it doesn‘t get really better - just more noise and buzzing.
Anybody here with an solution or idea how to solve that (or giving me a hint what I‘m doing wrong)?
And: what kind of setup would you suggest for practice recording?
Thanks in advance
& greetings from Austria
Roman
swamiorson

Re: Absurdly low guitar level recording with Axe I/O

Postby elflord1973 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:36 pm

Check the active/passive pickup selector (next to input 1)
Check that you're getting enough gain: the first 3 green leds light up on the unit -- the second led is -30db, too quiet
Check the input levels on your DAW. For example Logic Pro will show you the peak level reached on the channel strip. Try to get it around -12db or so

My own recording settings -- I do one of three things:
(1) guitar into input 1, create a channel strip that reads from input 1 and throw some plugin on top of it for an in-the-room sound. Record DI.

(2) guitar into input 1, re-amp out into my amp input. Create a channel strip that reads from input 1. No plugins.

(3) same, but also mic my cab, send the mic to input 2. Record both input 1 (DI) and input 2 (guitar amp). Turn the volume on interface down and monitor via headphones (so I don't get bleed into the cab mic)

For practice I'd probably do (1) or (2)
elflord1973

Return to Interfaces & Controllers