AXE I/O Output to speaker cabinet?

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

AXE I/O Output to speaker cabinet?

Postby jdobyan » Wed May 12, 2021 4:01 pm

Hey guys,

Im a bit dumb and new when it comes to guitars, amps, speakers etc. But I would like to connect my AXE I/O to a speaker cabinet so I can listen and make everyone in the house suffer as I learn to play guitar. How would i go about this?

Thanks in advance !
jdobyan

Re: AXE I/O Output to speaker cabinet?

Postby Peter_IK » Wed May 12, 2021 4:40 pm

As with any audio interface you should not connect it to a typical speaker cabinet. Speaker cabinets require a load which is typically provided by the guitar amp connected to the cabinet.

So, in short, please do not connect directly to a speaker cabinet.

However, you can connect to a powered speaker or a mixer/PA that outputs to appropriate speakers, or similar.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby jdobyan » Wed May 12, 2021 7:46 pm

Any suggestions on a make and model ?
jdobyan

Postby Peter_IK » Wed May 12, 2021 10:06 pm

jdobyan wrote:Any suggestions on a make and model ?

That's a good question. I personally prefer running through studio monitors like my iLoud Micro Monitors on my gaming machine or bigger monitors on my main audio computer. But I also have a 15" harbinger powered speaker which was reasonably priced and pretty loud. I believe that's a Guitar Center brand so you might not find it outside the US.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby tgchan » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:45 am

jdobyan wrote:Hey guys,

Im a bit dumb and new when it comes to guitars, amps, speakers etc. But I would like to connect my AXE I/O to a speaker cabinet so I can listen and make everyone in the house suffer as I learn to play guitar. How would i go about this?

Thanks in advance !

Peter_IK wrote:As with any audio interface you should not connect it to a typical speaker cabinet. Speaker cabinets require a load which is typically provided by the guitar amp connected to the cabinet.

So, in short, please do not connect directly to a speaker cabinet.

However, you can connect to a powered speaker or a mixer/PA that outputs to appropriate speakers, or similar.

Okay. What if there is a power amp in-between? Axe i/o > power amp > external guitar speaker.

Which is the best output/method to use on Axe I/O to send sounds from Amplitube 5 to a power amp connected with an external guitar speaker.
tgchan

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:56 am

As long as something is providing the proper load to the speaker you can send any of the outputs but I'd say 1 and 2 would be best. However, I still say a full range speaker is a better choice.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby tgchan » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:12 am

I have it hooked to 2x yamaha hs8 and as awesome as they are for games/music/videos/etc. ... there's something missing when used with amplitube or other amp sims.

I have a cab sitting without an amp so I have ordered electro harmonix 5mm and intend to hook it up somehow.

I was going to use AMP OUT output as 1&2 are going straight to studio monitors (1L & 2R) and 3/4 straight back to pc stereo mix = all mixed and ready for streaming.

Not sure if I can do it all at once with axe i/o only though because as far as I remember if you want to use AMP OUT and send wet signal (with preamp, effects, etc.) from Amplitube 5 you have to assign one of the two outputs in amplitube 5 as "OUT 5"

tgchan

Postby elflord1973 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:50 pm

If you're sending to a guitar cab, you will want mono output. Sending wet signal through out5 seems a little unusual but should work, might almost be better if your power amp is expecting an instrument level signal.

Usually for this sort of thing if I was using a regular amplifier I'd recommend using 1/2 for monitors and sending output to 3, then plugging output 3 to the FX return of the amp (so I'd be using my amplifier as a power amp)

I don't completely understand your setup, it shouldn't be necessary to use outputs 3 and 4 just to stream -- there should be some way to do the routing in the computer, e.g. send your mix to your streaming application by way of some kind of virtual inputs/outputs without using the outputs on your interface
elflord1973

Postby tgchan » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:52 am

elflord1973 wrote:If you're sending to a guitar cab, you will want mono output. Sending wet signal through out5 seems a little unusual but should work, might almost be better if your power amp is expecting an instrument level signal.

Usually for this sort of thing if I was using a regular amplifier I'd recommend using 1/2 for monitors and sending output to 3, then plugging output 3 to the FX return of the amp (so I'd be using my amplifier as a power amp)

I don't completely understand your setup, it shouldn't be necessary to use outputs 3 and 4 just to stream -- there should be some way to do the routing in the computer, e.g. send your mix to your streaming application by way of some kind of virtual inputs/outputs without using the outputs on your interface

Thank you for your input, mate.

I just want to use amplitube as preamp/effects and hook up it with external 1x12 and give it a go.

I am quite shocked that this is unusuall method and I cannot wait to see if it will sound any good.

As for the mixing and streaming... Yea I know I should be able to re-route it somehow but I had so much trouble doing so... This was the only option I have managed to work.

All kinds of echoes, feedbacks, etc.

I just want to play/practice the guitar and stream it at the same time, so basically = all sounds from a pc (amplitube 5, backing track from a website, etc.) need to go to stereo mix.

I haven't tried any software for virtual rerouting and couldn't make it work with windows 7 only, hence the cables going from mirrored 3&4 axe i/o outputs back to green input of my onboard realtec sound card.

tgchan

Return to Interfaces & Controllers