AXE I/O - a few questions

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

AXE I/O - a few questions

Postby julie128 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:48 am

[Mod edit: split into its own thread for focus]

:arrow: If you setup amplitube in a track can use the expression pedal to control the wah?

Can you record it? Does it record just the audio or does it record the pedal activity as MIDI CC events?

Can you scroll presets with the AXE I/O dial in Amplitube while it's setup as an insert on a DAW track?
julie128

Re: AXE I/O - a few questions

Postby carlaz » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:37 pm

Someone more knowledgeable may be able to correct me if I'm wrong, but ....

As far as I know, AmpliTube and everything in it (including wahs) represents a plugin that creates effects on (but does not inherently alter) a given audio signal (live or recorded). The particular processing functions of the plugin (including wahs) can be controlled by MIDI and/or writing automation within a DAW.

In other words, AmpliTube itself does not "record" its processing within an audio signal, but the parameters that control how AmpliTube processes an audio signal can be written (recorded) as MIDI/automation in your DAW.

Thus, under normal usage conditions, in a DAW, you would record your "dry" DI guitar signal, and then AmpliTube processes it -- but the actual recorded signal itself remains a "dry" DI guitar signal. You can, however, automate the processing in various ways: turn things on and off or sweep the parameters. So, in effect, if you are using an expression pedal to control a wah within AmpliTube, you can set your DAW to write automation as you waggle the pedal, and on playback AmpliTube will read that automation and treat it as though the movements of the pedal had been recorded (since effectively they have). This does not change your DI guitar signal itself; it just changes how it is processed.

However, you could then "bounce" the track with its AmpliTube processing to a new audio track, and that resultant audio would sound as though it was a guitar that had been played through all the processing of AmpliTube without the plugin actually being applied (because the "virtual processing" had now been sort of "printed" into the new audio track).
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Return to Interfaces & Controllers