Z-Tone DI - great bit of kit!

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Z-Tone DI - great bit of kit!

Postby Greggo704 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:47 pm

Been eyeing one of these up for a while, but initially thought too expensive for a DI box, but saw one on sale new and jumped all over it.

It's an awesome unit. I have 1st gen Scarlet 2i2 which has documented issue with hi-z being too hot, so have always used a sub standard cheap box, but this has definitely improved the sound and feel of amp sims that I use.

Loving all the features on the Z-Tone, the impedance loading is extremely handy as it can really thicken up a bright tele.

Also pleasantly surprised to get the SE version of amplitube 5 when I registered it, didn't even realize you got it!

Anyone else rocking this for a DI box?
Greggo704

Re: Z-Tone DI - great bit of kit!

Postby Primerano » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:04 pm

And what about background noise, hum and ground loop? I just received my Z-tone yesterday and I begun to use it from few hours.
Can you post some audio files?
Best wishes
Pino
Primerano

Re: Z-Tone DI - great bit of kit!

Postby Greggo704 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:16 pm

Sorry just seen this reply. The background noise hiss probably depends on what you are going into after the DI but I my case it's far better than most active DI I have tried. The flexibility of being able to adjust the impedance is what sold me on this DI.

I know 1Mohm is what most people recommend you need for when using amp sims to replicate an amps input, but if you have a bright passive pickup and it it doesn't sound or feel right hrough amp sims the variable Z is Ideal to try and thicken up the tone without chasing your tail on the amps controls. Likewise really dark guitars benefit from having the impedance all the way up for more clarity, especially if you also have the JFET enabled. I have JFET always on to be honest, it adds sparkle for clean tones and a touch more mids.
Greggo704

Return to Interfaces & Controllers