AXE I/O data knob MIDI

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

AXE I/O data knob MIDI

Postby skunkwright » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:28 am

I have an AXE I/O and am trying to configure the data knob to control a MIDI device. The knob's MIDI commands only seem to output on the USB MIDI connection, and not the MIDI output port. Is there any way to configure the knob to send its commands via the MIDI output port?
skunkwright

Re: AXE I/O data knob MIDI

Postby dlgebert » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:17 pm

skunkwright wrote:Is there any way to configure the knob to send its commands via the MIDI output port?

The [PRESET] knob is designed for use with Amplitube and changing the presets in the plugin and application. The AXE I/O manual mentions:

Code: Select all
PRESET - this push-encoder allows you to browse between AmpliTube’s presets. This control can also be customized to send any MIDI CC to control other functions or other software.

By default this control is setup to directly control presets browsing on AmpliTube (from version 4.8.1), however the MIDI CC that are assigned to this control can be freely assigned to make it useful for other type of controls by using the “Control App”.  Of course, by doing so, you will no longer be able to browse AmpliTube presets.

Default MIDI CC# are:
Rotation -> CC#22 Relative mode
Push -> CC#23

The manual doesn't have a MIDI implementation chart and it briefly mentions the 5-Pin DIN connectors:
MIDI IN/OUT - standard 5-pin DIN sockets for connection of external MIDI equipment.

If needed, you can connect external MIDI devices to the physical MIDI ports (Input/Output).

Based on the manual, I believe the [PRESET] knob MIDI messages are only sent thru the USB cable to control Amplitube and other MIDI based software. In the AXE I/O Control Panel software there are some configuration settings.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/axeio/index.php?p=manuals

Dave
dlgebert

Return to Interfaces & Controllers