AXE I/O - No Effects or Control

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

AXE I/O - No Effects or Control

Postby SimiStanleyClan » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:54 am

I've had the AXE I/O for a little over a year, using Amplitube 4. I just bought a new high speed computer and installed Amplitube 5 CS. I have everything connected as it was before and I can hear my clean guitar through the interface, but no matter which effects I choose, nothing changes. Volume is not controllable via Amplitube amp knobs or Output slider either. The tuner does work - so it's seeing the signal from AXE I/O. What I did notice is that when I turn the "monitor" knob to the right, there's no sound. When I turn it to the left (to "Direct") the sound increases.

I'm perplexed...so here are my Audio settings in Amplitube:
Technology: ASIO
INPUT: Device AXE IO ASIO; Left Channel - In 1, Right channel, In 1 ( I have a guitar plugged into Input 1)
OUTPUT: Device AXE I/O ASIO; Left Channel - Out 1, Right Channel, Out 2 (I have separate XLR cables going to 2x Headrush monitors)

I have studio monitors playing out of the computer sound card port. If I switch my audio output to the AXE I/O, audio will play from Headrush cabinets and the controls are active on the AXE. So really, my problem is that I have no effects - please help!
Thanks! Steve
SimiStanleyClan

Re: AXE I/O - No Effects or Control

Postby dlgebert » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:57 pm

SimiStanleyClan wrote:What I did notice is that when I turn the "monitor" knob to the right, there's no sound. When I turn it to the left (to "Direct") the sound increases.

What you are describing is normal for your AXE I/O. The [MONITOR] knob allows you to hear the "raw" guitar signal when turned to the left, and the "processed" signal when turned to the right. If you want to hear only the "processed" signal from the Amplitube 5 stand alone program, then it needs to be turned all the way to the right, to the "DAW" setting. What tuner is working? The one on the AXE I/O or the one in Amplitube 5?

SimiStanleyClan wrote:knob to the right, there's no sound.

Having the knob turned to "DAW" all the way to the right and hearing the processed Amplitube 5 sound requires several things to be working correctly. The "raw" AXE I/O signal is digitized and sent over to your PC via USB cable. Is that firmly connected to your AXE I/O and your PC?

When you open the Amplitube 5 standalone program, can you see a signal there? If not, you may have a driver issue. For Windows, you need to have the ASIO driver provided by IK Multimedia installed. Don't use ASIO4ALL or some other 3rd party driver.

If you're seeing an input signal in the Amplitube 5 standalone program and the AXE I/O is your input and output device, do you have a pair of headphones to connect to the AXE I/O. If so, if you turn up the headphone volume on the AXE I/O can you hear the processed signal now? If not, the digitized processed signal is not making it back to your AXE I/O via the USB cable. Check the settings in the Amplitube 5 standalone program and see if you have any output knobs down, etc.

If you hear the processed signal through headphones, then the signal is not making it to your monitors connected to the AXE I/O. Check the settings in the AXE I/O control panel program and also the "Master" knob.

I would open a ticket with IKM if you haven't already. Below is the link to the AXE I/O FAQ which may help.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?category=13&topic=axe-io
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/axeio/index.php?p=manuals

Dave
dlgebert

Postby SimiStanleyClan » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:14 pm

Dave - Thanks for the suggestions.

I've tried everything - bought a new USB cable, uninstalled/reinstalled all the software, checked every setting - and everything seems to be as it should be - Just no processed sounds. The tuner in Amplitube works, as does the tuner on the AXE. When I strum the guitar, I see the input levels in the bottom left hand corner of Amplitube move, as do the output levels on the bottom right side - there's just nothing making it back to the AXE. If the Monitor knob is full right, there's no sound at all - not even with headphones. I'm using the ASIO that came with Amplitube 5.

At this point, it looks like I'll need to submit a ticket - but thank you very much for your suggestions to try and check other things first.

Regards,
Steve
SimiStanleyClan

Postby dlgebert » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:18 pm

Very odd, something is blocking the data flow back to the AXE I/O. A ticket is the next best step.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby Yoss-X » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:05 pm

I have the same problem. No processed sound comes from the AMP output, even if I turn the monitor knob to the DAW position. USB link between the AXE and PC is ok, as the processed sound comes on OUT1 at the back of the AXE, but on the AMP output only the clean sound comes no matter in which position is the Master knob turned to.
Yoss-X

Postby Yoss-X » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:08 pm

Sorry, correctly: ...the MONITOR knob turned to..
Yoss-X

Postby dlgebert » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:48 pm

Yoss-X wrote:I have the same problem.

the processed sound comes on OUT1 at the back of the AXE

Your issue is different because you have the processed signal returning back to your AXE I/O. The original poster doesn't have any progressed signal returning to his AXE I/O, but he can see the meters working in the Amplitube 5 standalone program, but no where in his AXE I/O.

Yoss-X wrote:but on the AMP output only the clean sound comes

There are some good posts from a while ago that involve settings in the AXE I/O Control Panel when working with AMP out.

Ryan_IK wrote:Settings page with AMP OUT sending the signal from AmpliTube into your amplifier.

Important: In the AXE I/O control panel you can send your inputs directly to the re-amp out. Make sure this is not enabled. This will be a dry unprocessed signal.

Here is a link to the AXE I/O FAQ:

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?category=13&topic=axe-io

Let us know if Ryan's procedure worked for you.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby Yoss-X » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:51 pm

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the link, I changed the settings, so I set the input 1 routed to Out 5 which is the AMP output, so now I can get the processed signal on the AMP output, but this way the monitor know has no effect and changes the status of the button in the controller software at the Input 1 "To AMP OUT" makes no change. So the sound routing still feels a bit chaotic to me. Isn't there any detailed explanation about the connections between the inputs and outputs, and the effects of changing their status to the others inputs, outputs? But anyway, I appreciate your help, now at least I can route the processed signal to my amp.
Regards,
Zsolt
Yoss-X

Postby VasiliyUshakov » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:33 pm

I have the same problem with my new AXE I/O, only clean signal sound with no effects and no sound at all if the Monitor knob is full right (Mac OS Big Sur, amplitube 5 standalone, logic). The AXE firmware update doesn't help. Very frustrated and don't know what to do(((( :( :( :(
VasiliyUshakov

Postby dlgebert » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:05 pm

VasiliyUshakov wrote:I have the same problem with my new AXE I/O, only clean signal sound with no effects and no sound at all if the Monitor knob is full right (Mac OS Big Sur, amplitube 5 standalone, logic). The AXE firmware update doesn't help.

I have an iMac running macOS Big Sur and using Amplitube 5 as a plugin in Studio One 5 and it works as expected. I don't use the Amplitube 5 standlone program, but i will test that out and report back what I find.

In the meantime, please verify that you aren't using ASIO4ALL or any other external drivers. The AXE I/O is class compliant in macOS and requires no additional drivers. In the Amplitube 5 standalone application, make sure your [Playback Device] and your [Recording Device] are set to [AXE IO] as shown in in this linked screen print:

AXE I/O Input - Output Device

I would open a ticket with IKM support if you haven't already. Here is the link to IKM's AXE I/O FAQ section if you want to review that as well.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index. ... pic=axe-io

Dave
dlgebert

Postby VasiliyUshakov » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:22 pm

Thanks for your help Dave! Everything (standalone,vst) is working well now :D I don't know how it works, but removing the Focusrite soft helps me))))
VasiliyUshakov

Postby dlgebert » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:12 pm

VasiliyUshakov wrote:Everything (standalone,vst) is working well now :D I don't know how it works, but removing the Focusrite soft helps me))))

Thanks for replying back. The drivers for Focusrite appears to have been the issue. I'll hold off on the standalone test for now. :)

Dave
dlgebert

Postby SimiStanleyClan » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:38 am

IK took care of me today - here's how it was corrected, in the event someone else has this issue...

1. Load the AmpliTube 5 stand alone application from your Start menu
2. Click the Settings and go to the Audio/MIDI Setup page
**BEFORE PROCEEDING: Make sure your speakers are low in volume for now.
3. At the top change the Technology area to either (Direct sound or Windows Audio)
4. Now make sure the input and output device is selected.
5. Close the Audio setup and open it back up
6. Now under Technology and re-choose ASIO and make sure the Input and Output devices are correctly chosen here for your ASIO device.
7. Now close the window and see if you have audio.

I did these exact same steps previously before I heard from IK, with one exception...I didn't close the Audio Settings window in between changes. Once I closed it after setting it to Windows Audio and then re-opened it and changed back to ASIO - All Good!

Thanks everyone -
Steve
SimiStanleyClan

Postby DarkStar » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:34 pm

^^^
Please send those steps off to Technical Support so that they can update their knowledge base and help others.

Contact Support, via here. There is a link at the top of the Search FAQs page to the Technical Support form, where you can put the steps.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Yoss-X » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:59 pm

Hello!
Does anyone know whether the Monitor knob should have effect on the Amp Out or not?
I simply cannot make such a setup where I can get processed sound on the Amp Out and by using the Monitor Knob I can set the amount of dry and processed sound. Checked the manual quite a few times but I did not find anything about this.
Regards,
Zsolt
Yoss-X

Next

Return to Interfaces & Controllers