AXE i/o with Studio One

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

AXE i/o with Studio One

Postby LegacyRocksDallas » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:27 pm

Maybe I am as dumb as I think I am...but, how does one use the AXE i/o with Studio One and NOT have it act as the audio OUTPUT???

I have a decent home setup, which includes an SSL 2+ to drive the Adam A77X monitors and 2 inputs for guitars. Am I forced to switch things around so that the OUTPUT of the SSL becomes the INPUT to the AXE i/o? In other words, run guitar into SSL 2+. then output from the SSL to the AXE which is the audio interface for the Studio One session, serving to deliver the signal into the session and driving the studio monitors.

Does Studio One yet have a way to have separate input and output audio devices?
LegacyRocksDallas

Re: AXE i/o with Studio One

Postby garfy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:24 am

Hey LegacyRocksDallas

This is more an issue to do with the platform, rather than the DAW.

On macOS you can create an Aggregate device, which allows you to have different AI as input and output. I don't think Windows can do this.

What OS/platform are you on?

LegacyRocksDallas wrote:In other words, run guitar into SSL 2+. then output from the SSL to the AXE

I don't think this would be best practice as the SSL2+ will output at line level, where the inputs of the AXE IO will be expecting instrument level.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Re: AXE i/o with Studio One

Postby dlgebert » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:37 pm

LegacyRocksDallas wrote:how does one use the AXE i/o with Studio One and NOT have it act as the audio OUTPUT???

Does Studio One yet have a way to have separate input and output audio devices?

I don't have my Mac in front of me, but you can have a separate input device and output device in Studio One. I have Studio One 5, but I don't think it should be different for older versions.

In the audio settings, select AXE I/O as your input device. Studio One will assign both input and output to your AXE I/O. Now, change just the output device to your monitor setup. Studio One should only change the output and keep the AXE I/O as the input.

Please keep in mind that having two different devices can causing timing and other issues.

Dave
dlgebert

Return to Interfaces & Controllers