iRig Stomp IO drops connection to iOS

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

iRig Stomp IO drops connection to iOS

Postby tonepriest » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:42 pm

I haven't figured out the pattern yet, but so far it's happened each time I've used my new iRig Stomp IO with Amplitube: It just abruptly stops working while in use -- it goes silent and the phone stops powering the iRig (the lights on the device go off). I can usually get it back by unplugging and replugging the provided mini-DIN/lightning cable. On one occasion that wasn't enough, but quitting the app, switching to another (BIAS FX), and back seemed to bring it back.

Is this a known issue? Any fixes available?

Platform:
iPhone 6s
iOS 14.0.1
mini-DIN to lightning cable
Amplitube 4.11.0 (20G03)
tonepriest

Re: iRig Stomp IO drops connection to iOS

Postby JamesMTL » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:23 pm

Hey, sorry to hear you are having issues.

In my learning curve since purchasing the product there's a few relevant things here I will share.

1. Check the phantom switch. If you're not actually using a mic, it will mess with the connection. Not sure if that's expected, but kind of makes sense I guess? (iow - make sure its not pressed in and is 'depressed' ;))

2. Not being a super iOS, apple person and over a quarter century of being a pc person, realized I had to learn some 'common' behavior and expectations whereas apples and iOS devices, adapters and cables go. They are of such good quality, that anything else doesn't count.
At the signal level, there are a few things - if you plug your mini-din in AFTER the other end is in the iPad, I am not sure if it will detect and switch to DIGITAL AUDIO automatically. In fact, I almost always have to unplug the lightning side and re-plug it just to refresh the connection. I think this is normal apple behavior though, I've experience similar stuff with their chargers and adapters. USB end first, then the last part is to your iOS device. Now whether Amplitube and your rig need to be on and powered (and not in standby) may also have something to do with aforementioned.... behaviors.

3. Recently, owning a Boss K2 Katana, I realized the more optimal setup was taking full advantage of its Power Amp in on the back, instead of basically doubling pre-amps (and trippling in the case I am playing a guitar with active pickups)..... so the K2 can easily become just a host, powered speaker and the virtual or model amp heads are doing all the heavy work alone - as they should. I'm getting off track > At some point, I almost went crazy, because the power of the sound would cut drastically, like in the middle of a song and then when I'd pause it - I'd notice that it would kick back in. It was extremely intermittent and seemed related to the overall acoustic sound level in my room. It was. **** quality patch cable, one of those jobbies when you turn it while plugged in- you hear crackling. Anyway - check for that too. Don't skimp on cables. Make sure you get the best ones you can afford - shop around of course, because their are affordable and quality ones to be had.

Otherwise, maybe this is something else though, since we don't have the exact same setup.
Hope this can help check off anything you may have missed in your troubleshooting. Good luck and let us know how things go.
Ps. I do not work for ik, and tbh - TWICE was about 99% sure I was going to return this thing... and then.... a lot of things came together in a short time span and I was able to iron things out. Now? I don't want to use anything else. Well worth it for a home studio,jam solution.
JamesMTL

Postby tonepriest » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:49 am

JamesMTL, thanks very much for this reply. I did happen to read your recent review with interest and found it quite encouraging.

I don't think any of your suggestions resolve my issues though, so I still have fingers crossed to get a reply from a moderator.

To be thorough: I've confirmed that +48v was off, and I always plug the lightning end in last (don't know why -- just seems intuitive to me).

Like you, I'm using the Stomp IO in front of a vanilla powered speaker rather than a guitar preamp stack. And in any case my issue isn't with sound quality; the dang thing just goes dead.

Thanks again! Still hopeful this will be a fruitful new rig for me.
tonepriest

Postby DarkStar » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:50 am

It seems that the power from the phone is dropping out every so often. Whether the phone stops sending it or the cable is faulty or the Stomp stops receiving it is unknown.

---------------------------------------
As this is primarily a user to user forum, someone-else may chime in [#]. Meanwhile, the best thing to do is check the FAQs, via here. If they do not resolve the issue, there is a link at the top to the Technical Support form, for some one to one investigation and help. Response time is usually within 2 working days (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally), but in the current circumstances please allow some more time.

[#] But please remember that the same symptoms do not necessarily mean the same problem.

And, to help others who run into a similar problem, please let us know what you did to resolve the problem, but without directly quoting any correspondence from Support.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby tonepriest » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:29 pm

Update: My wife kindly let me try it with her iPad, and (fingers crossed) so far it seems to be working, and also now MIDI control is working in BIAS FX, which seemed not to work on my phone.

It's an intermittent problem, and there are of course many variables here (older phone, newer iPad; newer phone OS, older iPad OS; widely divergent apps installed on the two), so I'm not ready to call this resolved, but some good cause for hope!

Thanks for the replies.
tonepriest

Postby JamesMTL » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:04 pm

Ahhh yes, wherever/whenever possible - must - do comparative testing for comprehensive troubleshooting.
(I work in I.T. ;))
JamesMTL

Postby RobRocks » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:30 pm

Are you still having this issue? I recently got the stomp and have been having the same loss of signal issue are a period of time. I can't find anything about how to resolve it.

Thanks
RobRocks

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:50 pm

RobRocks wrote:Are you still having this issue? I recently got the stomp and have been having the same loss of signal issue are a period of time. I can't find anything about how to resolve it.

Thanks

If any suggestions in this thread do not help and/or others do not reply to offer other suggestions, I'd recommend following DarkStar's advice from above and opening a ticket with IK Support if you have not done so already.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Interfaces & Controllers