Need help deciding which audio interface: Axe I/O or SSL 2+

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Need help deciding which audio interface: Axe I/O or SSL 2+

Postby husentiel91 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:32 pm

I'm looking for an audio interface for home recording. Mostly electric/acoustic guitar, bass, vocals. I plan to record instruments both directly and via tube amp/mic.

I'd like to have MIDI input as well. I'm just starting so I don't have a DAW of preference yet and can use any of them.

I'm between Axe I/O and SSL 2+ as they're in similar price ranges. What would be the pros/cons of each of them for this kind of use?

Axe seems to be a cheaper solution overall as it comes bundled with the guitar/amp plugin.
husentiel91

Re: Need help deciding which audio interface: Axe I/O or SSL

Postby vac713 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:53 pm

No brainer. As you said I/O come with SW. plus you get the two switches.
vac713

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:22 pm

For your guitar input you'll get Z-TONE with AXE I/O which is a really great feature. I have two AXE I/O and I love plugging guitars into them and getting such a solid tone.

You do get the software, including great guitar gear but also 10 T-RackS processors. You even get one that's modeled after an SSL console channel (White Channel) so you can still get SSL sound with what's included with AXE I/O :D You can also add the T-RackS British Channel later if you really need that 4K sound (but honestly I prefer the White Channel myself and I've used both boards the British and White Channel plugins model).

You also get Ableton Live Lite if you want to try Ableton as a DAW. It is a pretty cool DAW and you also can try Reaper for 60 days free and it is cheap if you decide to buy it too.

Last but not least, since you are recording your guitar through a real amp/cab mic'd up, you also have the ability to easily re-amp (run your clean/direct - and solid due to Z-TONE technology - guitar signal) through a different amp/cab/mic setup.

The preamps are quality, too, for your other non-guitar needs.

I think these are pretty compelling arguments for AXE I/O for your intended uses.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:25 pm

Oh, I forgot that AXE I/O also has MIDI IN/OUT as you stated you'd like to have and is 2 in / 5 out vs the other being 2 in / 2 out.

AXE I/O also has two external control jacks for expression pedals and/or switches, the preset knob that directly interfaces with AmpliTube, as well as an onboard tuner.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Interfaces & Controllers