Stomp IO - USB Bus power

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Stomp IO - USB Bus power

Postby Mikey Mike » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:09 pm

Hi everyone!

During a rehearsal today my iPad battery died. Unusual because the Stomp has always charged it. I've just read the manual in the hope of finding a clue only to discover that when bus powered the Stomp doesn't charge the connected ios device. I'm baffled, coz for the last year and a half its been charging it every time. Does anyone have any clues as to what's going on here? This setup has been trouble free for almost two years.

Ipad connected to the Stomp via original lightning/mini din
Stomp USB bus powered from a lithium battery pack.

Thanks.
Mikey Mike

Re: Stomp IO - USB Bus power

Postby Ryan_IK » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:36 pm

Hi Mikey,

Thanks for joining in the conversation, sorry to hear of your troubles. It sounds like a pin in your Mini-DIN cable which connects to the iRig Stomp I/O might have become slightly bent preventing a full connection. If this is the case, you can try either bending it back carefully or checking with support for your best route.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/

Best,
Ryan IK
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby Mikey Mike » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:56 pm

Ryan! Thanks so much for your lightning response!!

Yes, I shall try that and report back soon.
So am I right to think that it should never have been charging in the first place or have I misunderstood the manual? :?:

Thank again.
Mikey Mike

Postby Ryan_IK » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:13 pm

Mikey Mike wrote:Ryan! Thanks so much for your lightning response!!

Yes, I shall try that and report back soon.
So am I right to think that it should never have been charging in the first place or have I misunderstood the manual? :?:

Thank again.

Technically, if it was charging, it should continue to charge.

Now, since I didn't quite see everything set up, I can't say for sure what happened, but I can share from my experience with the iRig Stomp I/O.

The iRig PSU 3A must be used to charge the connected iOS device. This supplies the proper voltage to send power through the Lightning to Mini-DIN cable provided with your iRig Stomp I/O.

The Mini-DIN port must be used for iOS use. If you use the USB-B port to go to an iOS device, this will require an MFI compatible adapter or the iRig might not be 'seen' by iOS. The USB-B port is mainly for Mac/PC use, but I've also used this to power the unit for stand-alone mode (Which allows the iRig Stomp I/O to be used as a general MIDI controller with the MIDI ports on the back of the unit).

*With the exception of USB-C iPad Pro models. For USB-C iPad use, we suggest using a USB-C to USB-B cable.

If you've used any other iRig devices, you might have noticed the Mini-DIN cable for this one is a bit thicker. This is to help with power transfer. If you do have any other iRig devices with Mini-DIN cables, make sure to use the original cable for charging support.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby Mikey Mike » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:58 pm

Ryan_IK wrote:

Now, since I didn't quite see everything set up, I can't say for sure what happened...

Ipad pro connected via original lightning/mini din to the Stomp.
Lithium battery pack connected via USB A to USB B to the Stomp.
No other power connected.
This has worked flawlessly until yesterday.

Ryan_IK wrote: The USB-B port is mainly for Mac/PC use, but I've also used this to power the unit for stand-alone mode (Which allows the iRig Stomp I/O to be used as a general MIDI controller with the MIDI ports on the back of the unit).

That's effectively what I've been doing and it's always charged.

Today I've swapped out the USB cable, the lithium battery and tried two other ios devices without any luck. I have, however, plugged in the PSU and once again it started charging, but the charging socket seemed a little temperamental. Seems odd coz I've never run it off the PSU since I bought it.

So my question now is, do you think it has been charging in error all this time and it's now behaving exactly as you'd expect? I'm considering buying a second unit if it means I get the functionality that I have been enjoying over the last two years. :|

Ryan_IK wrote:
*With the exception of USB-C iPad Pro models. For USB-C iPad use, we suggest using a USB-C to USB-B cable.

Actually I'm thinking of upgrading to the iPad pro with USB C. So this would need to feed into the USB B socket on the Stomp? I'd be forced to run the PSU?

Ryan_IK wrote:
If you've used any other iRig devices, you might have noticed the Mini-DIN cable for this one is a bit thicker. This is to help with power transfer. If you do have any other iRig devices with Mini-DIN cables, make sure to use the original cable for charging support.

It's the only cable of this type I own (plus the 2m extention)

Thanks again for your input, Ryan. Greatly appreciated.
Mikey Mike

Postby Ryan_IK » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:33 pm

Mikey Mike wrote:That's effectively what I've been doing and it's always charged.

Today I've swapped out the USB cable, the lithium battery and tried two other ios devices without any luck. I have, however, plugged in the PSU and once again it started charging, but the charging socket seemed a little temperamental. Seems odd coz I've never run it off the PSU since I bought it.

So my question now is, do you think it has been charging in error all this time and it's now behaving exactly as you'd expect? I'm considering buying a second unit if it means I get the functionality that I have been enjoying over the last two years. :|

I mean, that's definitely not the way it was designed to be used :o , but it's 100% possible the iRig Stomp I/O was powered by the USB-A port. Try different connection orders to see if it could get back to how you had it. Nothing should have changed to affect your previous behavior.

Mikey Mike wrote:Actually I'm thinking of upgrading to the iPad pro with USB C. So this would need to feed into the USB B socket on the Stomp? I'd be forced to run the PSU?

At NAMM last year, we used the below adapter to charge the iPad Pro (USB-C) models while using iRig Stomp I/O. It worked pretty well. No need for the PSU in this case, so your USB-C power cable can go to an external USB battery pack. 8-)

https://www.amazon.com/ARKTEK-Thunderbo ... op?ie=UTF8

For your current iPad, the below adapter has also been seen to work to charge the iOS device. This could help get away from the PSU in cases where you can't use wall power.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W ... ra-adapter
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby Mikey Mike » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:55 pm

Thanks for your detailed reply, Ryan.
My rig is all mounted to a pedalboard so the only connection I make is the lightning connector to the iPad. Im totally baffled as to why it's stopped charging. Data passes through ok still.

On a more positive note, I already own the camera adapter so I've tried that as you suggested and it works.

I like your idea with the USB C connection, too. I'm even more tempted to upgrade my iPad now.

Thanks again...
Mikey Mike

Return to Interfaces & Controllers