Irig 2 noise

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Irig 2 noise

Postby gyru73 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:21 pm

Hi,

I recently purchased an Irig2, and I am quite unhappy with the noise level. I aim at using it for live streaming my dj set through my Android phone input jack, and there is an awful background noise.

I installed a noise level meter on my phone and:

1. noise level in a quite room using the built-in phone microphone (nothing connected to the input jack) approx 15dB

2. noise level under the same condition but using standard earphone+mic connected approx the same 15dB

3. "plain" Irig2 connected, WITHOUT any audio jack connected to the Irig2 input, got 45dB

4. working condition with my controller output into the Irig2, I set the gain to get approx 75-80dB

I do not understand why plugging the Irig2 alone noise level raises from 15 to 45 dB, but to me this makes the device unusable. Do you guys think this is the expected performance or it has something to do with my specific unit?

Thanks for helping!
gyru73

Re: Irig 2 noise

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:00 pm

I'm not sure what would cause excessive noise in your particular case but there will always be some noise with an analog input like iRig 2. For pristine audio you'd want to use an audio interface with a digital connection. I would recommend you report your issue to IK Support for official and direct technical assistance if you have not done so already. They can assist you via http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support

Thank you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby gyru73 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:24 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply!
Yes I did contact tech support, but no reply yet.
I understand a digital device will always perform better, but it would also be much more expensive.
I would be interested to know from other users if my 45dB noise are the standard for any Irig2 connected to any phone. In such case, IMHO, it should be clearly advertised that Irig2 is not suitable for live streaming. In fact, it does not make sense to pay even 35euros to get something more noisy than the (free) streaming of a loudspeaker through the built in mic of the phone.
I look forward the tech support reply!
gyru73

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:26 pm

There are many people using iRig 2 to stream so my inkling is that your noise level is way higher than it should be.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Interfaces & Controllers