iRig Keys 2 Pro connection to iPad Pro (USB C)

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

iRig Keys 2 Pro connection to iPad Pro (USB C)

Postby petertow » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:17 pm

Hi
Just purchased an iRig Keys2 Pro which I am trying to use with my iPad Pro. I have a USB A Female to USBC adaptor, but I do not get any sound from the iPad speakers.

Reading some of the threads suggest that the configuration of the newer ipads with only USB C connections cannot use the speakers when a cable is connected to the USB socket.

Is this correct? I see there is a cable in the IK store, but don't want to shell out for this if I still will not get sound from my ipad

I do have external speakers that I can connect to the iRig, but I would like to keep the setup as simple as possible

Thanks in advance
petertow

Re: iRig Keys 2 Pro connection to iPad Pro (USB C)

Postby DarkStar » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:17 pm

Hello petertow and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are running into.

As this is primarily a user to user forum, someone-else may chime in [#]. Meanwhile, the best thing to do is check the FAQs, via here. If they do not resolve the issue, there is a link to the Technical Support form, for some one to one investigation and help. Response time is usually within 2 working days (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally), but in the current circumstances please allow some more time.

[#] But please remember that the same symptoms do not necessarily mean the same problem.

And, to help others who run into a similar problem, please let us know what you did to resolve the problem.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby gunpilot17 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:23 pm

There is cable on Amazon that I ordered. I will post Sunday when it gets here how it worked. Hopefully good as it is $7.99 on Amazon as opposed to the absolutely ridiculous price of $29.99 here. Way to take care of your customers IK!! :roll:

iPad Pro has been out over 2 years so honestly, this cable should come with their products....shame.
gunpilot17

Postby petertow » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:46 am

Thanks, look forward to the update
petertow

Postby gunpilot17 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:40 pm

Well as of right now it does not work. Plugging the cable into the iPad puts the iPad in headphone mode so there is no sound even with Bluetooth headphones connected. Playing Netflix I get sound in headphones and Bluetooth speaker but as soon as I plug this cable in, it goes into headphone mode and no sound. Plugging my regular cable into iPad that I charge it with does not do this obviously. Not sure what to do at this point.....

I would love to know if anyone has had success with the cord they sell here. I mean is there a difference? The one I bought supports data. iRig? Any help?
gunpilot17

Postby Donalde » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:29 pm

I have a possibly similar problem with my new set up for Keys Pro 2 and my new iPad and Garage Band. The keyboard only shows up as an output device. I cannot switch drivers, or whatever, so that it is recognized as an INPUT. Somewhere I heard that if the connection is made with headphones plugged into the keyboard, it is only recognized as an output. Can this be the problem, or what is the solution? Thanks!
Donalde

Postby gunpilot17 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:22 pm

I have mine working now. It took a USB C hub and external speakers. Plug the USB C hub into iPad and then the cable that came with keyboard, USB mini to USB A into hub. Plug speakers into headphone jack of keyboard. About $42 dollar solution.

The iPad is NOT going to not be in headphone mode when you plug into the charging port.

A cool benefit to this is that you can still charge your iPad while using it in this fashion.

I'm sure other components will work but here is what I got...

USB C hub
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WPTG7NX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Speakers
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0791H74NT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These speakers are really quite impressive for $20!!
gunpilot17

Postby petertow » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:11 am

Thanks for the update

Looks like owning the top of the range iPad has some downsides
petertow

Postby CoccoScrauso » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:48 am

I'm going to buy a Bluetooth Transmitter (and Receiver) to attach it on the headphones port. I hope it will work. Any suggestions?

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B0829R ... 3L7P5DTA5C
CoccoScrauso

Postby gunpilot17 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:32 pm

That isn't going to work. The iRig is transmitting data to the iPad and the iPad is producing and out-putting the sound via the software. No sound is being made at the iRig.
gunpilot17

Postby VecchioJohn70 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:12 pm

I have a similar issue, but using iRig keys2 Pro connected to an iPad (older model) or iPad mini. In both cases, connecting the keyboard to the iPad lightning port mutes all sound from the iPad (either from it directly, or through its headphone port, or from a bluetooth speaker). All sound - includes other sources eg YouTube. It seems to be recognising the irig as a device to send sound to, not as a source. I've checked audio settings but cannot see anything amiss. Help please :) .. thanks, John (newbie)
VecchioJohn70

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:21 pm

VecchioJohn70 wrote:I have a similar issue, but using iRig keys2 Pro connected to an iPad (older model) or iPad mini. In both cases, connecting the keyboard to the iPad lightning port mutes all sound from the iPad (either from it directly, or through its headphone port, or from a bluetooth speaker). All sound - includes other sources eg YouTube. It seems to be recognising the irig as a device to send sound to, not as a source. I've checked audio settings but cannot see anything amiss. Help please :) .. thanks, John (newbie)

iRig Keys 2 Pro has the headphone jack on it so it is an audio device. When you connect an audio device to your iOS device, the audio is routed through it and not the iOS device speakers etc. This is an iOS / Apple choice, not unique to IK hardware (any audio interface/device plugged in will similarly route audio as it is on the iOS level). You can read more about this in the FAQ at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?id=1284 which notes:

Note: Unfortunately, as this is Apple's design, this cannot be changed at this time.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Interfaces & Controllers