Question on selling Axe I/O

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Question on selling Axe I/O

Postby rvs0002 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:32 pm

I'm sure this has come up before but I couldn't find the answer, so here goes.

If I sell my Axe I/O, does the buyer also get all the software that came with it? If yes, how do I transfer it to them?

Thanks and again I apologise if this is addressed elsewhere.
John
rvs0002

Re: Question on selling Axe I/O

Postby DarkStar » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:40 pm

I am not sure.

This FAQ page https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?id=44
says: "Please note that not all software is transferable. Items received for free via a promotion are not transferable. "

But maybe bundled software is not considered "a promotion" and is OK. For a definitive answer, please contact Sales/Account Support, via here. You will be able to search the FAQs first, but if they do not resolve your issue, there is a link to a Support form. Sales Support can look at your Account. Response time normally is within 2 working days (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally), but in the current circumstances please allow some more time.

And, to help others, please let us know the general answer.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby rvs0002 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:10 pm

Thank you. I did send a message to support but thought someone might have sold theirs and already crossed this bridge. I would think bundled software would be transferable. I will update this thread when I hear back from them.
Thanks again,
John
rvs0002

Postby rvs0002 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:35 pm

So the answer is you can sell the I/O hardware but not the software which seems really dumb to me, as it was part of the interface package. I understand the reasoning, as now it makes the piece pretty much worthless because why would you buy the interface only for a reasonable price when you can buy a new one from IK for a bit more and get all the software with it?

Seems a little bit desperate on IK's part, but my fault for not checking the fine print before purchasing.

Stay safe,
John
rvs0002

Postby dlgebert » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:32 pm

rvs0002 wrote:So the answer is you can sell the I/O hardware but not the software which seems really dumb to me, as it was part of the interface package.

I have the original AXE I/O when it came out and it came with Amplitube 4 Deluxe bundled in, but I already owned every piece Amplitube 4 gear, so would it be unfair because I can't sell my Amplitube 4 Deluxe version? No, because software is licensed for use, and with this bundle the license isn't the same as someone who bought Amplitube 4 Deluxe, which is $299.99, almost the cost of the AXE I/O itself. Otherwise people could buy the bundle, sell the hardware for $300 and still have software worth $299.99.

IKM will allow you to transfer a fully paid license for Amplitube 4 Deluxe to someone, but you still have to pay for the transfer. For myself, the AXE I/O is worth the price just for the hardware.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby rvs0002 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:58 pm

For myself, the AXE I/O is worth the price just for the hardware.

Dave

Here's hoping there is someone out there who feels the same way and wants to buy my interface. I'm not holding my breath though.

Would be like selling my computer I bought but having to strip off the OS first.

It's all good. There are enough crazy issues in the world right now without worrying about a couple of hundred dollar interface.

we have a local maker space here that has a small recording studio so kids can learn how to do their own recording. I will probably just donate it there and download the software on the computer for them. They will be thrilled to have it..
rvs0002

Postby loganme » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:13 pm

I'm now dealing with this as well. I sold my Axe I/O with the understanding from the FAQ that I could transfer the software with it.

I paid for a transfer license and applied it to Axe I/O, but it seems like, based on this thread, that the Amplitube Software is non-transferable, which basically torpedoes the sale entirely. This is such a disappointment, my only hope now is that the support team refunds me the $20 for the transfer license and I can cancel my sale altogether.

IK Multimedia needs to rethink this policy.
loganme

Postby rvs0002 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:25 pm

I agree. Whatever came with it at the time of the sale should be transferable with a resale. Otherwise it's pretty much just a paper weight if you decide not to use it.

[mod redacted, please review rules regarding second hand sales on this forum]
rvs0002

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:21 am

It's an outstanding audio interface. Calling it a "paperweight" due to not being able to transfer free NFR (not for resale) software which is not required to run the interface while it is an excellent and fully-functioning audio interface is a bit much.

With that in mind and since OP and others have tickets in with support and this forum has an entry in the rules about secondhand sales, it seems to have run its course.

As this thread has been resolved for the original poster it will be marked as such and locked to keep the forum tidy.
  • If you are the original poster and wish to add a comment please ask a Moderator to unlock the thread.
  • If you are reading this thread because you are having similar issues or have questions of a related nature, please feel free to start a new topic. Remember that similar symptoms do not mean the same problem or solution.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Interfaces & Controllers