AXE I/O SOLO amp out problem

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

AXE I/O SOLO amp out problem

Postby Daveggiant » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:07 am

Hi guys, I've a question for AXE I/O users. I bought an Axe I/O solo (the little brother of axe i/o) and I found an issue with the "amp out" output. I've tried to use the reamp feature both in real time and with a pre-recorded track in my DAW, and I've noticed that in both cases the DI signal coming out from that output is not strong as expected and my amp modeler, which I use to reamp my guitar, doesn't sound/react like it should (e.g. when the guitar is connected directly to it). In fact, the VU meter installed on my device confirms that, and I noticed a gain reduction of -10db more or less. Did you have the same problem with your device? How did you solve that? Thanks

If you want to have a better idea of the problem you can watch this video on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0EO5rPAeBs
Daveggiant

Re: AXE I/O SOLO amp out problem

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:59 pm

I would suggest making sure you are following the steps in the IK video on how to reamp with AXE I/O (same process for AXE I/O Solo) at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF5AvOxKbAg and if you still have the issue please contact IK Support who can diagnose and troubleshoot your issue directly with you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Daveggiant » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:42 am

Yeah, I've already seen that video. I've followed the instructions and I do all the stuffs correctly. Looking on the internet (Gearslutz forum) I discovered that the issue resides is in the design specification of the amp out, which is "conservative" in some way, to prevent damages to the amp I'd connect the "amp out" to. Because of the limited amount of headroom available in (-3 dbu), the signal level coming out from the reamp output can't be as strong as the real one. For example, if my pickups hit the amp with +12 dbu of volume, when reamping a pre-recorded track with axe i/o solo, the signal will hit the amp with only -3 dbu...which represents a much less powerful DI signal, correct me if am I wrong. So, I'd probably compensate the lack of volume sticking a preamp pedal/booster in between the interface and my amp modeler to give the 3db back and make it sound like I plug my guitar into my amp modeler to begin with.

I've already sent a message to IK support but I've not received any answer yet.

Thanks for the reply.
Daveggiant

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:39 pm

There have also been firmware updates to improve the amp out on AXE I/O (Joe Satriani had some great suggestions), not sure about AXE I/O Solo as it is new I assumed you were on the latest firmware so they can also advise on that front.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby stephen.hussey » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:02 am

Is the output level at the 'Amp Out' socket dependent upon the position of the 'Monitor' knob?

i.e. To get the full input signal from the live played guitar to the amplifier, does the 'To Amp Out' button need to be activated in the interface software and the 'Monitor' knob be turned fully anti-clockwise to the 'Direct' position?

Conversly, To get the full output signal from a previously recorded track you wish to re-amp to the amplifier, does the 'To Amp Out' button need to be de-activated, and the 'Monitor' knob be turned fully clockwise to the 'DAW' position?

Thanks.
stephen.hussey

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:05 pm

AMP OUT is its own output and has its own control in the AXE I/O Control Panel. There was a firmware update that made sure the AMP OUT level was correct and would work well for re-amping a while ago.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby ehlert42 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:33 am

I tried that feature today, too. And I've run into the same problem. The output level of amp out is way to low to get the same dynamics compared to when I plug in the guitar directly to the amp. I set the gain on input 1 in a way so that it maxes out at -6db to avoid clipping.
The resulting output AmpliTube doesn't really really does not really produce the wanted sound. Buuuut: You can use your DAW to adjust the levels. I just tried in Logic to route In1 from the instrument to output5. On output5 side in the mixer you add e.g. a channel equaliser to lift the level of the signal by 5-6dB. Then you add another track in Logic, sampling input 2 where I feed back the signal from the amp. And now you just need to set both channel 1 and 2 to input monitoring and voila it works.

Cheers, Alex
ehlert42

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:31 pm

ehlert42 wrote:I tried that feature today, too. And I've run into the same problem. The output level of amp out is way to low to get the same dynamics compared to when I plug in the guitar directly to the amp. I set the gain on input 1 in a way so that it maxes out at -6db to avoid clipping.
The resulting output AmpliTube doesn't really really does not really produce the wanted sound. Buuuut: You can use your DAW to adjust the levels. I just tried in Logic to route In1 from the instrument to output5. On output5 side in the mixer you add e.g. a channel equaliser to lift the level of the signal by 5-6dB. Then you add another track in Logic, sampling input 2 where I feed back the signal from the amp. And now you just need to set both channel 1 and 2 to input monitoring and voila it works.

Cheers, Alex

Make sure you are on the latest firmware. AXE I/O firmware was updated a while ago to increase the Amp Out output levels. Also, IK Support can help you with any issue you have if this doesn't help http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby FrThib » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:15 pm

I have the same problem with the Axe I/O solo and my firmware is the latest according to the updater, which is 1.0.0
FrThib

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:50 pm

FrThib wrote:I have the same problem with the Axe I/O solo and my firmware is the latest according to the updater, which is 1.0.0

I would recommend reporting your issue directly to IK Support. We used AXE I/O for many TONEX Tone Model captures without level issues so I'm sure they can figure out what's going on to get you to where you are getting great results too.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby dean701 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:57 pm

you're not alone. the reamp signal is low. I had a plexi capture where compared to the guitar into the amp signal, the re-amp signal was far less and affected the gain of the capture. I posted it on tgp and there were a slew of others that had the same issue.
dean701

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:04 pm

I'm sure IK Support can help them. Like I wrote above, we used AXE I/O for many many Tone Models that had plenty of signal.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Ralf_T » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:01 pm

I ran into the same problem with my AXE I/O today (I never tried to re-amp before). My readings show that the output level of the Amp Out is actually about 20dB lower than what I put into the AXE I/O. The unit is not "mirroring" the DI signal to the Amp Out when you engage that option on In 1 in the controller software as advertised in the video linked above by Peter. The same readings were confirmed using DIs from multitrack sessions and by sending a sine wave (1kHz) from Cubase to the Amp Out and from there looping back into any of the two inputs. I am on firmware 1.10. I did a screen to gif capture that shows the problem. Strangely, the LED for the Amp Out suggests that the unit is mirroring the DI, but as you can see In 2 receives a signal that is about 20dB lower, no wonder the sound of the amp I fed it into sounded lifeless and weak ...

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/36wu20i0 ... oulcj&dl=0
Ralf_T

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:46 am

Sorry to hear you are having issues. Have you sent this to IK Support? They would be able to assist you.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Ralf_T » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:34 am

Yes, I have created a request for support.
Ralf_T

Next

Return to Interfaces & Controllers