IRig Keys Pro and Protools

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

IRig Keys Pro and Protools

Postby Cayman2020 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:44 pm

I have spent hours attempting to get Sampletank 4 SE to work with Protools. I installed Sampletank 4 however when I attempt to insert an instrument in Protools the Sampletank Selection does not show up. Correction It showed up once and I added another instrument track and it disappeared again. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Cayman2020

Re: IRig Keys Pro and Protools

Postby DarkStar » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:29 pm

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are running into.

Do you mean that the SampleTank 4 ("ST4") plug-in does not appear is Pro Tools' list of available plug-ins? Or that one or more SampleTank instruments are not available in ST4's browser?

-----------------------
As this is primarily a user to user forum, someone-else may chime in [#]. Meanwhile, the best thing to do is check the FAQs, via here. If they do not resolve the issue, there is a link to the Technical Support form, for some one to one investigation and help. Response time is usually within 2 working days (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally), but in the current circumstances please allow some more time.

[#] But please remember that the same symptoms do not necessarily mean the same problem.

And, to help others who run into a similar problem, please let us know what you did to resolve the problem.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Cayman2020 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:09 pm

Hi, The IK Plugin AmpliTube Appeared however Sampletank 4 appeared then mysteriously disappeared. It does not really matter as I have uninstalled all of the IK products on the computer. After wasting hours and hours and hours I have run out of patience. I feel much like these people who wrote reviews. I will see if the store will take back the hardware.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Let me say first off that I have been installing sound ware for 20 some years. After 6 weeks of trying to get SampleTank 4 to work and with many back and forth with IK tech support including a replacement thumb drive I can still not get ST4 to work.As a long time user of all kinds of sound ware, audio plug-ins and VST instruments I have never experienced this level of disfunction. The sounds in ST4 are great and the plug-in install and authorization are straightforward and normal but where you will have a problem is installing the sound content. As a longtime buyer of sound ware I just want to warn prospective buyers that this is not a plug and play situation. This is a look for the correct install instructions, for content, not included, follow instructions explicitly...and then fail and then start a tech support ticket. I am sure eventually I will get this VST to work but I just want to warn my fellow musician friends that if you buy this product do not expect it to work."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The sounds and instruments are fantastic -- those that you can get to install. The overall installation process is a pain in the ***. I've truly wasted two solid days just trying to get everything to load and have been unsuccessful in getting the ST-3 and Philharmomik 2 libraries to be recognized. You would think that a software manufacturer that can produce such sophisticated sounds could program a little more intuitive and foolproof installation and sound library download procedure."
Cayman2020

Postby Cayman2020 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:33 pm

Ahh I feel better now that I got that off my chest. Is there a simple reason Sampletank 4 would not appear in ProTools Inserts?
Cayman2020

Postby DarkStar » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:38 pm

" I just want to warn my fellow musician friends that if you buy this product do not expect it to work."
Sorry, but that is just incorrect. Hundreds if not thousands, of users are using ST4 quite happily.

Regarding the downloads and installs, IK Multimedia has been aware of that and, just this week, has released the IK Product Manager which should avoid many of the issues.

As for Pro Tools, I cannot help as I have never used it. Could Pro Tools have black-listed the plug-in(s)?

Support is the best path to follow for specific problems, and you can always reply to your Support Ticket requesting further guidance. But I see that you have tried that without success yet.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby Cayman2020 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:24 pm

Hi, The solution to the problem is that you have to use a stereo track when you are recording on an instrument track and wish to use Sample Tank 4. I did not know that.
Cayman2020

Postby DarkStar » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:43 pm

Is the problem resolved now, with the appropriate track setting in Pro Tools?

If so, I am pleased about that and that you can now use ST4 plug-in in Pro Tools. :) And we can mark this thread as "Resolved".
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:45 pm

I believe there may be another thread about this, OP please reply to that as resolved too. Thanks!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby bob021147 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:37 pm

i'm having a problem that irig keys 49 works with ST4 fine in standalone mode, but i can't get it to feed input to a MIDI track ... a MIDI track whose output is supposed to be the input to ST4 , which is running as an insert on an audio track. i get output from insert ST4 with a mouse on the in-app keyboard, but can't get a signal in. the kbd is set to channel 1. irig keys is not on the MIDI input device list....?

the i/o is a firewire Avid MBox Pro which does show on the MIDI input list.
the PC is fast Lenovo i7 intel lotsa DRAM, large SSD RAID array, win8.1, protools 2019.10

i've tried everything i could find looking around here, Avid support & forum, the web... studied the ST4 & protools manuals.... getting close to opening a support ticket.

amplitube5 works fine as an insert or standalone.
what am i being dumbass blind to?
i'm clearly far from the only one that's had this problem yet a solution eludes, so it must be something simple hopefully? i am new to protools, MIDI, and using inserts & seuencer inputs
bob021147

Postby DarkStar » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:24 pm

The MIDI data path is (or should be):

iRig Keys 49 --> Avid MBox Pro --> computer --> ProTools --> MIDI track --> ST4.

ST4 is working OK as you can play its sounds from its virtual keyboard.

What happens if you add a MIDI item (with notes on the MIDI channel used for the sound in ST4) to the track? Does that play back OK?

Can you Record the MIDI from the iRig Keys 49 in Pro Tools? I suspect that the routing of the MIDI from the keyboard to the track is the issue?

Finally, check that the MIDI channel used for the MIDI notes from the keyboard is the same as that set for the sound loaded in ST4.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby bob021147 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:13 pm

i have not tried loading a .mid file into a track. will do.
in protools i can't do anything MIDI with the keys49.

i CAN paste a .MID file into an instrument track and play it through ST4 insert in an audio track.

there is now an "irig keys 49 (emulated)" input choioce in the MIDI device list in protools Setup.
it doesn't seem to do anything.

keys49 is et to transmit on channel 1.
every relevant chance i see i try choosing channel 1 in protools.

while the .MID file is playing i can play along with a mouse in ST4 insert kbd.

i have opened a support ticket....
bob021147

Postby DarkStar » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:27 pm

You need someone who know ProTools ;)
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby bob021147 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:01 am

yes, thnx...

protools is touted as the industry standard, so i thought there would be many users here with this issue. i bought it hoping to avoid problems. maybe i'll have better luck with Sonar 8 ?
i wonder if IK will refer me to Avid while Avid refers me to IK in a loop?
i don't think i get live support from Avid anymore.... maybe in a forum.

i want to upgrade to total studio MAX 3 but won't/can't until this is fixed.
bob021147

Postby DarkStar » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:51 am

I do not think that it is a bug. Rather it is the way to set up ProTools to pass the MIDI from your keyboard to the track and thence to ST4. You would have the same learning curve with any other DAW.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby bob021147 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:18 pm

i agree & realize it's a set-up issue ... i think i already said i'm probably being blind to something simple? i don't need glasses, but i have the same problem seeing what i'm looking for on store shelves sometimes. i'm old. i'm new to MIDI but not a virgin; i've set-up earlier versions of cakewalk & other sequencers enough to get them working & played around a bit, but then left MIDI & sequencers for another time which is now .. so where & what is it? plz, somebody?

last night i changed to using Sonar 8 ... where irig keys49 does appear on the list of input devices, but still isn't feeding an ST4 insert. i fumbled briefly, got frustrated, & had to sleep (now i'm only up to pee, eat melatonin, & read the Heather Cox Richardson newsletter). in Sonar, the ST4insert does output sound when playing in-app kbd with a mouse. i loaded a couple demo projects which played but didn't used MIDI input. next i will try other MIDI controllers.
bob021147

Next

Return to Interfaces & Controllers