Nothing but trouble with Stomp I/O [Resolved]

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Nothing but trouble with Stomp I/O [Resolved]

Postby csobalvarro » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:31 am

This device is great... when it works, and so far that’s almost not at all. HELP!

It’s worked fine with my Mac, but I’ve had nothing but trouble with it on iPad, which is primarily what I want to use live. Here’s what I’m experiencing:

- I’ve not found a reliable setup procedure. When I first power-up, connect my iPad, and open Amplitube it rarely works. Audio goes through, but patches won’t change and I can’t switch to stomp mode. After a little fiddling — reconnecting power, iPad cable — it will often come-up and start “kinda” working (switching patches, going into stomp mode, etc.), but this is SO unpredictable that it’s not something I’d ever gig with.
- Even when it does work, the hardware will not launch the tuner or looper, and sometimes buttons need to be pressed more than once to activity or deactivate pedals in stomp mode.
- It sounds great... which is what keeps me trying/hoping... but the hardware is a major issue.

Is there a factory reset procedure? I haven’t found one in the manual or online. I have tried switching between default and stand-alone mode (restarting holding pedal 1), but that hasn’t made any difference.

I put in a support ticket and HOPING to get a reply, but so far I’ve found support response to be very poor. HELP :)
csobalvarro

Re: Nothing but trouble with Stomp I/O

Postby DarkStar » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:28 am

Other iPad users may chime in, but you can Reply to your Support Ticket at any time asking for further guidance.

Please note that Support's response time normally is within 2 working days (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally), but in the current circumstances please allow some more time.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Ryan_IK » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:52 pm

csobalvarro wrote:- I’ve not found a reliable setup procedure. When I first power-up, connect my iPad, and open Amplitube it rarely works. Audio goes through, but patches won’t change and I can’t switch to stomp mode. After a little fiddling

Check your cable for bent or broken pins. On iOS, the Mini-DIN connection is used so if any pins are bent, issues can occur. Bending these back carefully can help in these situations. Support can also help through warranty if this is the case. Next, remove any protective casing and clean out your iOS device port. Use compressed air or contact cleaner for best results.
csobalvarro wrote: — it will often come-up and start “kinda” working (switching patches, going into stomp mode, etc.), but this is SO unpredictable that it’s not something I’d ever gig with.

Check for any loose connections and try the free MIDI WRENCH app to see if your iRig is detected and sending MIDI to iOS properly.
csobalvarro wrote:- Even when it does work, the hardware will not launch the tuner or looper, and sometimes buttons need to be pressed more than once to activity or deactivate pedals in stomp mode.

Check MIDI WRENCH to make sure all pedals send MIDI. If they work on Mac/PC however, they should be working in both worlds.
csobalvarro wrote:Is there a factory reset procedure? I haven’t found one in the manual or online. I have tried switching between default and stand-alone mode (restarting holding pedal 1), but that hasn’t made any difference.

There is no Factory Reset, but you can update the firmware.
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea/firmware/
Stand-alone mode is indicated by the top two LEDs on your unit. This is entered/exited by holding pedal 1 on power up.
csobalvarro wrote:I put in a support ticket and HOPING to get a reply, but so far I’ve found support response to be very poor. HELP :)

Send me a PM with the ticket number and I'll flag your case. The team can continue there, hope this helps in the meantime!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby Mit411 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:11 am

I hope this helps. The lightning connector to the iPad is the last thing I connect. I make sure AmpliTube is open before connecting the lightning connector.
Additionally I put the iPad in airplane mode, and turn on do not disturb. That may seem like overkill, but the only thing I want talking to the iPad is the Stomp I/O.
I know what your going through with the unit. It can be maddening trying to figure out the best sequence to make the unit work properly, when you feel like it should work straight out of the box. Don’t give up.

I gotta say Ryan, Peter, and the IK support team have been fantastic when I had questions. They field an exorbitant amount of requests, and show a tremendous amount of patience.

Thanks
Mit411

Postby csobalvarro » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:53 pm

Thanks. It turns out there may be gremlins at work in the hardware. Support suggested a return and exchange. I shipped it off yesterday and anxiously await a new unit. It’s been frustrating because it SOUNDS SO GOOD and I just want to PLAY, but the hardware’s been a barrier to fully engaging with it. But Ryan with support has been fantastic to work with and I’m sure this will all be better soon and I can get on to questions about tone and settings :D
csobalvarro

Postby Mit411 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:39 pm

Good to hear a new unit is on the way. This is the same level of support I received from Ryan, and IK. They are awesome, I wish they received more positive recognition.

Totally agree with on how good it sounds. AmpliTube is my preferred app. I have others and they sound great, but AmpliTube sounds less processed to me.

Good luck, rock on, and have fun.
Mit411

Postby rwynne@arrowcat.org » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:35 pm

I've had the same problems mentioned by csobalvarro when using the stomp with an iPad. It works great when connected to my Mac. But with the iPad, sometimes it works fine, other times I'll spend 20-30 minutes unplugging and plugging and then finally it will work. I would never trust this unit at a gig. At first I thought it was the lightning extension cable, but I got a new one and had the same problems. Very frustrating.
rwynne@arrowcat.org

Postby csobalvarro » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:29 am

Not sure if our root cause is similar or not, but after going through the paces with IK Support (they were really helpful) they offered a return/exchange. My new unit will arrive this week and I’ll post my results. Fingers crossed this is all behind me and can get down to making music!
csobalvarro

Postby csobalvarro » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:04 pm

For anyone who might be following... Got my replacement unit this week and the difference was immediate! Worked perfectly out of the box. All the random weirdness I’d experienced is gone. So far this setup is very stable and I’m really digging it! Now I really need to learn it in more depth. I know I’m just scratching the surface right now, but it’s awesome to have everything working! Thanks all, especially Ryan and the IK support team!!
csobalvarro

Re: Nothing but trouble with Stomp I/O [Resolved]

Postby DarkStar » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:54 pm

Good Oh! I'm glad that the replacement arrived promptly from IKM Support and is working well.

-------------------------------------------
As this thread has been resolved for the original poster it will be marked as such and locked to keep the forum tidy.
  • If you are the original poster and wish to add a comment please ask a Moderator to unlock the thread.
  • If you are reading this thread because you are having similar issues or have questions of a related nature, please feel free to start a new topic.
  • Remember that similar symptoms do not mean the same problem or solution.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Return to Interfaces & Controllers