Acoustic Guitar and iRig HD2 ???

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Acoustic Guitar and iRig HD2 ???

Postby ghtaur% » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:02 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to connect WITHOUT SUCCESS my iRig HD2 with/to an ACOUSTIC GUITAR with an INTERNAL pick-up to my brand new iMac running macOS Catalina version 10.15.5.

I have tried to connect with two different acoustic guitars with internal pickups with no success.

My iRig HD2 is connected to my computer by the supplied USB.

I've tried connecting with Garage Band and AmpliTube 4 with no success.
Both apps have both the input and output setting to iRig HD2. I also tried doing only the input setting to iRig HD2 and the output to internal speakers. Again, I get no input or output signal at all.

The iMac, Garage Band and AmpliTube 4 all recognize the iRig HD2 and allow me to use it as input and or output.

Blue light on iRig HD2 is illuminated but no other colored lights (green, orange or red) ever come on.

I tested my 1/4" guitar cable to rule out that that is the problem by connecting it to an amp. No problem with cable.

I also have given permissions in my iMac settings to allow Garage Band and AmpliTube 4 to use my microphone even though the iRig is not supposed to be using the internal mic. I read someone suggest this as a possible troubleshooting method. No luck doing that!

I updated to the latest firmware.

My iRig HD 2 is registered.

I think I might have a faulty unit.

Please help.

Thanks!
ghtaur%

Re: Acoustic Guitar and iRig HD2 ???

Postby Ryan_IK » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:48 pm

The Microphone permission will need to be enabled in both AmpliTube and GarageBand. This allows access to the externally connected microphone or input source, like iRig HD 2, this is not just referring to the internal mic.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/?id=1306

Once enabled, you will need to have an audio track created and set to record arm in GarageBand. Below is a link to help you with this on GarageBand.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH24908?lo ... cale=en_US

If you are able to see and select the iRig HD 2 in your system, your issue sounds to be software setting related and if the above materials don't help, support would be your best option. Once your ticket is open, send me a PM with your ticket number to allow me to flag the case.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby ghtaur% » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:14 pm

Hi and thanks Ryan_IK for trying to help me.

I was just about to return the product and give up after days of troubleshooting and no response from support.

I just solved the problem on my own.

With the iMac anyway giving permissions to Files and Folders and Microphone in System Preferences does not work alone.

*****You must go one step further and give Full Disk Access to Garage Band and AmpliTube 4*****

I'm assuming that when you give Full Disk Access that also includes Files & Folders so you might only have to give Full Disk Access alone and not select both like I did.

This is how to do it.

1) On the iMac - go to - System Preferences / Security & Privacy / Privacy / Full Disk Access

2) Once there you must Unlock to make changes.
If you do not see your programs you must ADD them using the + sign.

3) Locate and Add GarageBand and AmpliTube 4.

4) Make sure the box is checked. This will then give them FULL DISK ACCESS

Click the Lock icon to finalize the process.

Everything worked as it should after this.

Nowhere on the IK Multimedia forums, website or their FAQs or any documented instructions was I able to find this information. As far as I could see they only say that you need to allow permissions in FILES AND FOLDERS and MICROPHONE in System Preferences / Security & Privacy / Privacy / Files and Folders.

******!!!!! Remember, you also have to give the programs FULL DISK ACCESS !!!!!******

Note to IK Multimedia: ADD THIS INFORMATION TO FAQ ON YOUR WEBSITE

[mod redacted, unnecessary]

Regards,
ghtaur%
ghtaur%

Postby Ryan_IK » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:29 pm

Glad everything is working. We can ask the team to add FULL DISK ACCESS to the FAQ. From our tests, this is not required. The other permissions should get users running, but couldn't hurt to add more details if it helped your situation!

Enjoy getting back to making music! :D
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:53 pm

We have a FAQ "macOS Mojave (10.14) & Catalina (10.15) Permissions Explained" which covers the issues that would be considered common with regard to microphone and file permissions.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?id=1306

As this thread has been resolved for the original poster it will be marked as such and locked to keep the forum tidy.
  • If you are the original poster and wish to add a comment please ask a Moderator to unlock the thread.
  • If you are reading this thread because you are having similar issues or have questions of a related nature, please feel free to start a new topic. Remember that similar symptoms do not mean the same problem or solution.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Interfaces & Controllers