How to charge iPad while using iRig 2 keys?

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

How to charge iPad while using iRig 2 keys?

Postby turtlehill » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:51 am

I was running an Akai LPK25 keyboard into my iPad via a camera kit. Among other things, with that setup I could put the LPK25 USB output through a powered USB hub into the camera kit, which ensured that the iPad was charged as well.

I hooked my iRig 2 keys into my iPad using the same setup--USB out from the iRig 2, into the powered hub, and from the powered hub into the iPad. MIDI Wrench shows that the iPad recognizes the iRig 2. (It just occurred to me that I didn't check MIDI Wrnech to see what kind of messages it was getting from the iRig. I'll do that next.)

I then hooked up the keys to the iPad using the supplied USB to Lightning cable. The synths now respond to the iRig keys 2, which is great, but I can't charge the iPad while I do that.

How do I set this up so I can charge the iPad while I use the iRIg keys?
turtlehill

Re: How to charge iPad while using iRig 2 keys?

Postby turtlehill » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:43 am

I figured it out.

The USB output from the iRIg keys 2 goes to an input on the powered hub, which provides power to the keys. The USB output from the hub goes to the USB input on the camera kit. The flat USB end of a USB to lightning cable goes to an input on the powered hub, and the lightning end plugs into the lightning socket on the camera kit, where it provides power to charge the iPad. Performance worthy. Tested in MIDI Wrench and with various iOs synths, works great.
turtlehill

Re: How to charge iPad while using iRig 2 keys?

Postby benwiley4000 » Tue May 25, 2021 8:55 pm

turtlehill, would you be able to provide some more details about which devices you're using to accomplish this? I'm interested to charge my ipad while using it with the irig keys 2 pro. My ipad uses USB C but I'm assuming it's a similar principle.
benwiley4000

Return to Interfaces & Controllers